General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorGirl87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. This question is more directed at people who have actually taken the PCAT, but if you can contribute, please do.

I've been studying gen chem a lot lately using the Kaplan prep book. It does a pretty good job, however, there are A TON of formulas. I was just wondering if it is really necessary to memorize all of these formulas for things (all over again). I took gen chem 3 years ago, so this is really re-committing a lot to memory. Are there also a decent amount of conceptual questions? Also, the problems in Kaplan require a fair amount of math per problem sometimes. It doesn't seem like they really try to make the numbers easy to work with. It just seems like it is taking me a little too much time to solve one problem. Is this the case on the real test as well?

Any comments or advice would be really helpful. :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

remember Boyle Law, Charles Law, Ideal Gas Law like it was the back of your hand thats my advise, and thats only part of it.

Im skipping most of those equations. I just memorized the ideal gas law, rate law, molarity, molality so far. Im on Chapter 37 so the rest is just Acid/Base, pH stuff.

Remember, theres no calculator, so if you can reason it out you should be ok.

If you do the chemistry problems on Cliff Notes very well and also have basic knowledge of Orgo [esp. alcohol, ester, ketone, aldehyde , and their rxn and properties], you are guaranteed to score between 60 - 70 in the Chem Section.

Cliff Notes is the answer!!

If you do the chemistry problems on Cliff Notes very well and also have basic knowledge of Orgo [esp. alcohol, ester, ketone, aldehyde , and their rxn and properties], you are guaranteed to score between 60 - 70 in the Chem Section.

Cliff Notes is the answer!!

which cliff notes is he talking about?