General Consensus on Board Scores for IM tiers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frogger27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What board scores are required for each "tier" of IM academic residencies?

Is it something like:
>240 = Top tier
>230 = Mid tier
>220 = Lower tier

I always had something like this in my head, but I was looking at Freida and it looks like a lot of programs I thought would be considered more middle of the road programs had 240 minimums. Any insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it something like:
>240 = Top tier
>230 = Mid tier
>220 = Lower tier

I always had something like this in my head, but I was looking at Freida and it looks like a lot of programs I thought would be considered more middle of the road programs had 240 minimums. Any insight on this?
I can’t comment unless I know exactly what constitutes top, middle, and low tiers. Care to elaborate?

Is it something like:
>240 = Top tier
>230 = Mid tier
>220 = Lower tier

I would agree with that general cutoff, but there are some other factors. Like if they went to med school there they probably could score below the cutoff. The term mid tier is so loose. No one wants to consider themselves a low tier program but the consensus is that most community programs and affiliates are low tier with a handful of exceptions (Harvard ones obviously). Mid tier academic could loosely be doximity rank from like 30 to 70 or some arbitrary **** like that.

I matched at a midtier academic program in the top 50 of doximity and basically only had interviews from other places people were calling midtier which fit the above. There was definitely a trend with this with my classmates at the time when we compiled our stats and saw where we got invites from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, IM is highly competitive for top and upper-tier programs. I've known many who mistakenly assume a 240s alone will get them top 30 programs. There is a large difference between a 240s with AOA, vs one without. Or if you are coming from a top vs mid/low tier medical school.

Top interviews don't come out until the dean's letter.

I found freida worthless or less.

Top interviews don't come out until the dean's letter.

I found freida worthless or less.

Ditto, lots of programs with certain “requirements” were giving me interviews regardless of what FREIDA says. Didn’t need step 2 scores for most for example.

That being said this was more than 5 years ago so things do change

5-10 years ago, Elite Tier (i.e. Top 4-6) and even those in the bubble underneath that group seemed to play by their own rules. I would argue a good handful matching into each of those programs were landing significantly under 240.