General Consensus on Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

Hey guys, due to the COVID pandemic, I haven't been able to shadow any physicians. However, I work on the frontlines as a HCW. I work alongside physicians, etc. I will probably be looking at 0 shadowing hours to apply with next cycle. How will this impact my application?

I was thinking of creative ways of shadowing such as reading about a day in the life of an MD or DO, or just chatting with some of the doctors (if they have time!!) about what they do during lunch breaks? However, no such luck right now since everyone is social distancing and the cafeteria is closed.

Members don't see this ad.

I never shadowed and did fine my cycle. I did however scribe and do a lot of other clinical work, but never specifically just shadow. Imo shadowing isn't that important if you already are active in a clinical setting, and also shadowing LORs are generally very mediocre, which is very bad for a LOR. Its just hard for physicians to say positive things about someone that is basically a fly on the wall, while working in a clinical setting will force you to perform in one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, due to the COVID pandemic, I haven't been able to shadow any physicians. However, I work on the frontlines as a HCW. I work alongside physicians, etc. I will probably be looking at 0 shadowing hours to apply with next cycle. How will this impact my application?

I was thinking of creative ways of shadowing such as reading about a day in the life of an MD or DO, or just chatting with some of the doctors (if they have time!!) about what they do during lunch breaks? However, no such luck right now since everyone is social distancing and the cafeteria is closed.
Sorry, but those don't count. You need to see what a doctor's day is like and how different doctors approach the practice of Medicine.

Scribing is glorified shadowing and as a plus, it's employment as well. People still need scribes even in the age of COVID.

Otherwise, you're going to have to sit this one out. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but those don't count. You need to see what a doctor's day is like and how different doctors approach the practice of Medicine.

Scribing is glorified shadowing and as a plus, it's employment as well. People still need scribes even in the age of COVID.

Otherwise, you're going to have to sit this one out. Med schools aren't going anywhere.
So if i had scribing experience, that would be sufficient? even scribing experience from one clinic under one doctor? Would 100 hours of scribing be enough before the app cycle?

Tbh scribing is a lot more logical than shadowing because you’re actually helping the physician while observing rather than just aimlessly sitting around

Reactions: 1 user
Irrespective of what is "needed" for your medical school application, getting some kind of insight into what a physician does and the day-to-day life of work in different specialties is, IMO, critical so that you know what you're getting yourself into. "Healthcare worker" is such a broad term as to be nearly useless, but if you feel that you have gained that experience in whatever work it is you do, then it just comes down to checking boxes. I do think trying to get some direct clinical/shadowing work would be valuable, even if it's not all that much due to COVID considerations.