General Derm Skill atrophy with full time Mohs/Dermpath?

Started by ERDOC555
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ERDOC555

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of curiosity, say someone started working 40 hours per week doing pure derm path or Mohs (I realize few people do this nowadays due to lack of demand), would their general derm skills eventually decay and if so after how long would it become a problem?

I would imagine Mohs might forget a lot of the minutia/zebras if they aren't treating those disorders, while Dermpath may still have a lot of the skills since they are exposed to a wide variety of conditions through biopsies. Thoughts?
 
Out of curiosity, say someone started working 40 hours per week doing pure derm path or Mohs (I realize few people do this nowadays due to lack of demand), would their general derm skills eventually decay and if so after how long would it become a problem?

I would imagine Mohs might forget a lot of the minutia/zebras if they aren't treating those disorders, while Dermpath may still have a lot of the skills since they are exposed to a wide variety of conditions through biopsies. Thoughts?

I'm sure there will be atrophy if you are full time Mohs or full time dermpath. I don't think it would be enough to prevent someone from practicing dermatology appropriately. My concern would be be the minutia that is tested on the re-certification exam as part of MOC.
 
Yeah for sure there will be loss of skills that will take effort to regain. Particularly surgical skills if you are doing dermpath and complex medical derm skills for both mohs and dermpath. You probably won't be as comfortable with rhuem-derm, systemics like remicaide/ rituxan, vasculitis etc. I agree if you are willing to accept some help and put in some effort though it will be fine to regain those skills within a couple years.

The bread and butter skin ca, eczema psoriasis laser botox filler etc will not take long to get back to speed.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile