general psychologist typical work week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking at my geographic area, it says the average salary is $97,350 a year translating to $45 an hour. Which adds up to 41 hours a week assuming no vacation (becomes 45 hours a week with 4 weeks vacation). I'm trying to figure out how these numbers come to be? But also, time and work is precious and I'd like to see first hand what typical work weeks you see. This is for say, providing general psychotherapy 1:1 to an adult population. Like, is it 28 therapy sessions a week and rest of time for notes/teaching/etc. Or is this almost all clinical care time? Also, how much vacation/time off do psychologists typically get per year and how much of it do you find you are actually using? Just getting some feelers out there for what to be expected and what is an average versus above or below average offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So looking at my geographic area, it says the average salary is $97,350 a year translating to $45 an hour. Which adds up to 41 hours a week assuming no vacation (becomes 45 hours a week with 4 weeks vacation). I'm trying to figure out how these numbers come to be? But also, time and work is precious and I'd like to see first hand what typical work weeks you see. This is for say, providing general psychotherapy 1:1 to an adult population. Like, is it 28 therapy sessions a week and rest of time for notes/teaching/etc. Or is this almost all clinical care time? Also, how much vacation/time off do psychologists typically get per year and how much of it do you find you are actually using? Just getting some feelers out there for what to be expected and what is an average versus above or below average offer. Thanks!

Private practice/Group practice or healthcare system? If the former, insurance vs. self-pay? That may help people give a more accurate answer as those variables will change things.

Reactions: 1 users
Private practice/Group practice or healthcare system? If the former, insurance vs. self-pay? That may help people give a more accurate answer as those variables will change things.
I own a group. It's private practice. We accept insurance. The reason I ask is people are having a hard time conceptualizing the payment model and the first 6 months anyone new joins, they commonly panic. I was thinking of just offering a salary system the first year and providing the option to switch to productivity model (where they actually make more) after that first year. People are used to seeing a salary and how matters are set up in major healthcare systems or the VA. But in private practice, it is often a split of what is collected. And we collect very well and everyone that stuck around for the first year has continued to stick around because the pay is good (and you make way more for less work). But at this point, I've had a couple of providers join recently and they worked part time hours and took 3 weeks vacation their first three months here. And they're all panicked wondering why their checks are small (🤦‍♀️). So I'm thinking, hey, if I offer a salary, more structured schedule and ground rules for time off, it may be easier to grasp and reduce the unnecessary fretting. Getting burned out from all the questions about every paycheck. I looked at both providers' pay so far, and based on number of patient visits and what has gotten paid, estimated the FTE and projected what rest of pay would look like after they complete 12 months here --> their pay is definitely above average even when they do take the average vacation time most healthcare systems offer. We had one psychologist who started part time here and kept her gig but part time in a healthcare system. The first few months, she had a similar experience but it was easier for her because she still had her hospital gig. Overtime she was able to really compare both places side by side and shifted full time to private practice because economically, it actually did work out better (and less stress as well as more autonomy).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At least when I left my hospital system a couple of years ago, psychologists doing mostly therapy were making between 105 - 120k with benefits. For this system, I'd say the benefits were average, nothing special. Those positions were expected to have roughly 32 billable contact hours per week, not counting allotted PTO. If they were heavily involve din supervision/teaching, they could get a very small offset on clinical hours.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're paying a psychologist $96k, you should be ashamed of yourself. The 2020 salary survey data demonstrates you are paying $25k/yr LESS than average for non-neuropsychologists. The same empirical data shows that there is a correlation between income and work satisfaction.

In short, you're paying poorly and getting the expected results. Don't use salary.com BS.

At least when I left my hospital system a couple of years ago, psychologists doing mostly therapy were making between 105 - 120k with benefits. For this system, I'd say the benefits were average, nothing special. Those positions were expected to have roughly 32 billable contact hours per week, not counting allotted PTO. If they were heavily involve din supervision/teaching, they could get a very small offset on clinical hours.
How much time would you guess people were taking off per year and for the benefits like health insurance, any guesses as to how much if any contribution the employer made to the health insurance premiums and if they also covered family members? And what state are you in if it's not too much detail to ask?

If you're paying a psychologist $96k, you should be ashamed of yourself. The 2020 salary survey data demonstrates you are paying $25k/yr LESS than average for non-neuropsychologists. The same empirical data shows that there is a correlation between income and work satisfaction.

In short, you're paying poorly and getting the expected results.
I never said I was. I said they were on a SPLIT model. When psychologists here see 28 patients a week, they are getting $111k. Really, how much of a paycheck can you expect at 10 visits a week and 3 weeks off in the first three months? THAT is a shame. My office has been open for 3 years and we grew from one provider to 11. Many of which are highly sought after in the city. I think those are good results.

In my geographic area, places like the county and state facilities are the ones paying 96k a year. Let me tell you, they work WAY harder than a full time psychologist here. Higher case load and higher acuity. They have far more stress and there is a higher incidence of dissatisfaction.

Last edited:
I never said I was. I said they were on a SPLIT model. Psychologists here see 28 patients a week and are getting $111. Really, how much of a paycheck can you expect at 10 visits a week and 3 weeks off in the first three months? THAT is a shame.

You're paying sub-average pay, and getting sub-average results. Why are you complaining about it? Is this a "no one wants to work" thing?

You're paying sub-average pay, and getting sub-average results. Why are you complaining about it? Is this a "no one wants to work" thing?
Have you considered the differences geographically? There's a difference of 39k between Hawaii and Mississippi.

CA seems to come up consistently as one of the higher paying states but it is also expensive as **** to live there. Cost of living is definitely a factor in each state which impacts the salary and there's nothing I can do to control the economics of that. The difference between California and Mississippi is massive.

There does seem to a lot of geographic difference. And I do live in one of the bottom states unfortunately. Also, it seems years of experience counts in non-private settings too.

Please reference where your numbers come from as well as how many calculated hours per year (especially direct patient care) the provider is expected to put in.

Last edited:
Have you considered the differences geographically? There's a difference of 39k between Hawaii and Mississippi.

CA seems to come up consistently as one of the higher paying states but it is also expensive as **** to live there.

There does seem to a lot of geographic difference. And I do live in one of the bottom states unfortunately. Also, it seems years of experience counts in non-private settings too.

Please reference where your numbers come from as well as how many calculated hours per year the provider is expected to put in.

BLS data, which those articles are based upon, is skewed AF because it includes MA level people. In some states, state employees with an MA are classified as a "psychologist". That screws those numbers up, badly.

You would laugh at me, if I used ziprecruiter data for psychiatrists' salaries. This isn't different. You don't use popular press.

Table 21 will show you that you are paying below market rates. I hope insurance pays you below market rates.

Sweet, J. J., et al. (2021). "Professional practices, beliefs, and incomes of U.S. neuropsychologists: The AACN, NAN, SCN 2020 practice and “salary survey”." The Clinical Neuropsychologist 35(1): 7-80.

Last edited:
Sweet, J. J., et al. (2021). "Professional practices, beliefs, and incomes of U.S. neuropsychologists: The AACN, NAN, SCN 2020 practice and “salary survey”." The Clinical Neuropsychologist 35(1): 7-80.
This is for neuropsychologists. I don't have neuropsychologists on staff. Also, the data on these other websites is actually accurate for a psychiatrist on a salary model. Productivity is a whole different story. The higher producers can earn a ton if they wish to perform more encounters.

This is for neuropsychologists. I don't have neuropsychologists on staff. Also, the data on these other websites is actually accurate for a psychiatrist on a salary model. Productivity is a whole different story. The higher producers can earn a ton if they wish to perform more encounters.

No it's not. Why didn't you read the article? I thought you were against people not doing the work.

No it's not. Why didn't you read the article? I thought you were against people not doing the work.
Regardless, you've unintentionally answered my question. The pay is indeed influenced by work performed/revenue generated/RVUs ("production is quite near the employer target expectation). Which means how I calculate pay whether it's a salary or productivity based, will be heavily focused on RVU conversion factors and pay ranges in my state. I'm going to be using the RVU factors cited in my state and offer an RVU model after the first year. The first year will be a salary, calculated for FTE and projected RVUs. Which will minimize issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless, you've unintentionally answered my question. The pay is indeed influenced by work performed/revenue generated/RVUs. Which means how I calculate pay whether it's a salary or productivity based, will be heavily focused on RVU conversion factors and pay ranges in my state. I'm going to be using the RVU factors cited in my state and offer an RVU model after the first year. The first year will be a salary, calculated for FTE and projected RVUs. Which will minimize issues.

Oh, I intentionally answered your question. You just didn't like the answer.

Oh, I intentionally answered your question. You just didn't like the answer.
Actually. The answer is just fine, you're the one that won't like it. I can offer the salary and also provide the new employee the option of the productivity model which I already use. I will let them decide. I'll give them projections of what they will make in 12 months with both options. The salary is more profitable for me when I make it commensurate with the employers in my geographic location. The productivity model is better for them and less so for me. I've done this once before, and they opted for the productivity model and are happy with the results. I know how to approach this now-->offer both. Either way, I can (and will) make it happen that they will get paid well. But, if they want to be paid less to relieve the anxiety, that is their business. You don't like the productivity model, then salary it is. And I do offer a well above average one in my state - more profit for me and less income for them. But again, I let them make that decision.

Last edited:
BLS data, which those articles are based upon, is skewed AF because it includes MA level people. In some states, state employees with an MA are classified as a "psychologist". That screws those numbers up, badly.

I believe BLS data includes Ed.S. school psychologists, which are usually on the same pay scale as teachers. APA's data is better, but only includes APA members.

I believe BLS data includes Ed.S. school psychologists, which are usually on the same pay scale as teachers. APA's data is better, but only includes APA members.
Do you have the link? I'd really like to see it. More information is good.

Oh, I meant the APA data. I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. But this is very good too! Thank you :).

Sure, check the Center for Workforce Studies. I think the last full salary survey was in 2015 so might be a little dated, especially in this climate. What @PsyDr posted above is also a good resource.

Actually. The answer is just fine, you're the one that won't like it. I can offer the salary and also provide the new employee the option of the productivity model which I already use. I will let them decide. I'll give them projections of what they will make in 12 months with both options. The salary is more profitable for me when I make it commensurate with the employers in my geographic location. The productivity model is better for them and less so for me. I've done this once before, and they opted for the productivity model and are happy with the results. I know how to approach this now-->offer both. Either way, I can (and will) make it happen that they will get paid well. But, if they want to be paid less to relieve the anxiety, that is their business. You don't like the productivity model, then salary it is. And I do offer a well above average one in my state - more profit for me and less income for them. But again, I let them make that decision.
I don’t have any issue with a productivity model. I have issue with financial exploitation and hypocrisy. You should too.

I don’t have any issue with a productivity model. I have issue with financial exploitation and hypocrisy. You should too.
I do, which is why I offer productivity models. But if a provider prefers the same paycheck amount every pay cycle over the productivity model due to whatever reasons, I'm not going to force them into something they are not comfortable with. But I have had a couple providers, one started and they took 3 weeks vacation in the first two months and worked part time and were wondering why they were not getting full time pay checks like their peers. This psychiatrist I'm thinking of is excellent at her clinical care though. But like many physicians, somewhat financially illiterate. The exploitation I have a problem with is what I see in big healthcare systems. It's clear. If I posted examples of what most hospitals or government entities are providing psychologists, I'm sure it would bring up many reactions. But so many providers gravitate to the financial security. Which that is certainly there but they are paid far below what they deserve given the volume of service they render. What the major healthcare systems, county, and state entities offer in this geographic area is way lower than what people make at my office and we have nowhere near the volume of work that is piled on at the other places. And we offer benefits for full timers too as well as our office being in process for qualifying for loan forgiveness grants. That's one of the reasons I made my clinic. So providers are truly paid for what they actually did and have autonomy they cannot get in most settings. This office recently got listed as one of the most family friendly places to work for if you are a working parent. The retention and growth at this office speaks for itself and we're now also academically affiliated, teaching PsyD students. So a strongly evidence based practice as well.

Last edited:
Really depends on setting. In managed care settings, full-time folks may be expected to provide anywhere from 30-40 hours direct services/billable for a steady paycheck with the rest being notes, meetings, and other admin. There is a range depending on how busy a site is and the expectation upon being hired.

In private practice, full time in my area is considered to be anything above 20 hours or so of sessions per week. I know folks who will go up to 28-30 in PP to make more money but risk higher burnout. In PP, the rest of the time is managing the business (managing website, marketing, emails, notes, etc.). Administrative/indirect clinical tasks vary week to week (ie an hour all the way up to several hours if something comes up that needs attention).

I have no idea where you got the numbers, but that does seem off given that I’d assume that most people don’t work more than 40 hours a week in most managed care settings when working full-time or in private practice. That salary with (40 hours or less of work time) in managed care/community mental health wouldn’t be offered to early career psychs in my area. That would be the pay of an established clinician unless you go straight into a VA career or work for Kaiser in my area. Obviously some others have different views.

Not sure what your split is, but if someone can eventually make a decent income from 20 clients a week in PP, you’d have to offer them a decent split to make it worth their time so they aren’t losing a lot of money just for the convenience of a group practice with paperwork done for them.
It is much trickier to include vacation time as income LOST and factor that all in when considering PP income in a year. I take 3-4 weeks off in a year and it definitely hits the wallet hard in PP when that’s your main income. Basically take off a month’s pay right there when estimating.

Not sure if that helps, but that’s my take on some of the things you mention.

Not sure what your split is, but if someone can eventually make a decent income from 20 clients a week in PP, you’d have to offer them a decent split to make it worth their time so they aren’t losing a lot of money just for the convenience of a group practice with paperwork done for them.
It is much trickier to include vacation time as income LOST and factor that all in when considering PP income in a year. I take 3-4 weeks off in a year and it definitely hits the wallet hard in PP when that’s your main income. Basically take off a month’s pay right there when estimating.

Not sure if that helps, but that’s my take on some of the things you mention.
Thanks! Much of my time now is spent in administrative work. But part of this work and the nice thing about the split is, there is the power to negotiate fee schedules with insurance companies. The need for MH services is high but especially for psychiatrists (I'm a psychiatrist) and of course those with higher training in therapy like a PhD/PsyD versus masters. So having us all together in one practice gives some strong negotiating chips. If the average reimbursement (including PP, major healthcare systems, etc.) for a visit is x, I've managed to get some of the insurances to pay at the rate of 1.5x and there's another insurance where I negotiated 1.8x. Meaning each unit of work is paid better allowing for some breathing space to minimize burnout. The other nice thing in PP is being able to select who/what you'd like to work with. There's definitely an amorphous load you carry as a provider if your patient panel is particularly emotionally taxing. Like for psychiatrists, my colleague says each day she has 30-50 clinical messages to answer. That's time/work she's not getting paid for. I gave her a billing tip and said she could try some CPT codes I've used and hopefully her employer gives her RVU credit for it. But in PP, you get paid. And... the psychiatrists here definitely do not have exploded inboxes while enjoying comfortable pay.

I do, which is why I offer productivity models. But if a provider prefers the same paycheck amount every pay cycle over the productivity model due to whatever reasons, I'm not going to force them into something they are not comfortable with. But I have had a couple providers, one started and they took 3 weeks vacation in the first two months and worked part time and were wondering why they were not getting full time pay checks like their peers. This psychiatrist I'm thinking of is excellent at her clinical care though. But like many physicians, somewhat financially illiterate. The exploitation I have a problem with is what I see in big healthcare systems. It's clear. If I posted examples of what most hospitals or government entities are providing psychologists, I'm sure it would bring up many reactions. But so many providers gravitate to the financial security. Which that is certainly there but they are paid far below what they deserve given the volume of service they render. What the major healthcare systems, county, and state entities offer in this geographic area is way lower than what people make at my office and we have nowhere near the volume of work that is piled on at the other places. And we offer benefits for full timers too as well as our office being in process for qualifying for loan forgiveness grants. That's one of the reasons I made my clinic. So providers are truly paid for what they actually did and have autonomy they cannot get in most settings. This office recently got listed as one of the most family friendly places to work for if you are a working parent. The retention and growth at this office speaks for itself and we're now also academically affiliated, teaching PsyD students. So a strongly evidence based practice as well.

I don't care if someone wants to take a productivity model. That's their own choice. But, I don't think that people who can't be bothered to raise the effort to read a simple article have the moral high ground to rate other people's efforts.

If you offer a flat salary, you are paying below average rates. You should expect below average effort. That applies to all settings. I don't care if you do it, or Harvard, it's still wrong.

If you offer a flat salary, you are paying below average rates. You should expect below average effort. That applies to all settings. I don't care if you do it, or Harvard, it's still wrong.
I didn't even tell you the salary I was going to offer. And frankly, you still have not accounted for geographic differences. You are deciding to believe what you want to believe which is to see me as a villain and you made that drastic conclusion with very little information at hand and you are illustrating this again. There's no point in replying to you further. You obviously want me to be the villain and I won't be responding to you anymore.

That sentence did not explicitly say that was a salary and you are still ignoring the geographic (state A vs state B) and years of experience factor (especially considering yes, I live in one of the absolute bottom states). My replies are now done. You have proven my point.

Last edited:
If you want to account for regional differences, I would start by looking at the regional gs-13 table for psychologists. I feel like it underpays in the midwest compared to some private hospitals. However, they base it on regional pay rates and that generally includes 4 weeks vacation and solid benefits. If I were considering a PP offer, I would want it to beat my VA salary given that there is no pension and likely less vacation. VA outpatient psych requires an average of 25 pts/wk, FYI. Most book 6-7/day. Of the previous groups/companies I worked for, I enjoyed a hybrid model the best ( 32 hrs/week full-time employment with health benefits and 401k plan, then paid per patient over the 32 hrs if you opted to see extra patients). The largest hurdle to PP, IMO, is the lack of benefits if you do not have a spouse to provide them.

One of the challenges that comes in w productivity is that psychologists often don't work very efficiently. This can be a minor issue or major one, depending on your model, geography, and how well you negotiate rates (or advertise/work of mouth if a cash practice). Inflation and stagnant salaries have really hurt psychologists over the past 20-25 years. Dwindling reimbursements make things harder, and many companies and hospital systems have no problem exploiting psychologists....which is easier to do w too many in certain geographic areas.

As for fair wage for PP....the devil is in the details. Offering a salary for the first year can really be a good way to balance the lag between steady accounts receivables and work being completed. Unfortunately, employees can take advantage of the setup if parameters are set up front about minimum billing/clinical requirements. While billing can be slightly different for psychologists than our physician colleagues, there are often differences in how each group conceptualizes "being busy."

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to account for regional differences, I would start by looking at the regional gs-13 table for psychologists. I feel like it underpays in the midwest compared to some private hospitals. However, they base it on regional pay rates and that generally includes 4 weeks vacation and solid benefits. If I were considering a PP offer, I would want it to beat my VA salary given that there is no pension and likely less vacation. VA outpatient psych requires an average of 25 pts/wk, FYI. Most book 6-7/day. Of the previous groups/companies I worked for, I enjoyed a hybrid model the best ( 32 hrs/week full-time employment with health benefits and 401k plan, then paid per patient over the 32 hrs if you opted to see extra patients). The largest hurdle to PP, IMO, is the lack of benefits if you do not have a spouse to provide them.
Thank you! Yes very helpful indeed. I can definitely draft a model that would surpass some of these benchmarks you brought up. Full time providers can definitely have 4 weeks off (salary or productivity driven), great health insurance (we do contribute to the premium and include family, only $1000 individual deductible and office visits are not subject to deductible-->just a $20 copay, and it's BCBS), an annual income higher than what the VA here offers, and 401k. Plus the loan forgiveness grants we'll be getting. Although the interesting point is, even on a strong salary here, if they went for productivity model, they'd take home more of what they made.

One of the challenges that comes in w productivity is that psychologists often don't work very efficiently. This can be a minor issue or major one, depending on your model, geography, and how well you negotiate rates (or advertise/work of mouth if a cash practice). Inflation and stagnant salaries have really hurt psychologists over the past 20-25 years. Dwindling reimbursements make things harder, and many companies and hospital systems have no problem exploiting psychologists....which is easier to do w too many in certain geographic areas.

As for fair wage for PP....the devil is in the details. Offering a salary for the first year can really be a good way to balance the lag between steady accounts receivables and work being completed. Unfortunately, employees can take advantage of the setup if parameters are set up front about minimum billing/clinical requirements. While billing can be slightly different for psychologists than our physician colleagues, there are often differences in how each group conceptualizes "being busy."
Thanks! I know there's some cultural difference here. Physicians classify busy as 60 hours of clinical work a week. Plus a psychiatrist is used to churning out a patient encounter with add on psychotherapy, med management, labs, and physical exam in 30 minutes. I'm not saying that it should be the norm or be ok of course. In a broad sense economically, it boils down to what insurance pays per CPT code and how we as providers can make it work with a good income but also our sanity. Some hospital systems are super at negotiating rates and others depending on the administration are complacent and it shows in how providers are treated. I like to think our negotiating here is pretty damn good. Don't get me started on collecting from patients who have high deductible plans. We have a 99+% collection rate all around--it helps to warn patients who have high deductibles that they have high deductibles and collect at time of service. Most hospital systems collect way less (hemorrhaging the potential of provider income) because they just mail and/or email statements and the high deductible accounts, the patients almost never pay and the hospitals don't stay on top of it. It's easier for them to have us as the provider churn out a lot more patients to offset the cost because a certain proportion would have hit their deductible or only need to pay the copay. This happens to psychiatrists too. I'm thinking with a salary model, certain productivity goals would be good as I see that in other systems too, as one has mentioned the VA. Which as much as we all hate it, it is for good reason. 1)money has to come from somewhere and 2)we don't want to incentivize bad care and patients drop out of care.

It's amazing that a physician comes to this forum with genuine questions about how psychologists should be fairly reimbursed and is met antagonistically. Yet the same psychologists decrying "midlevels" and poor pay also encourage NP degrees so that they can prescribe is absolutely mind-blowing to me. I'm sure psychiatrists will eventually fall to the place you've found yourselves in (that is, making 20-30k more than LCSWs), but I'd be much more willing to take up your cause against crappy trained social workers if every PhD/PsyD I met wasn't ****ting on psychiatrists.

That hasn't been my experience here or in the field - regarding psychologists wanting to prescribe. I have seen conversations about that for arguments sake, but I can count on one hand the number of peers I have spoken to or seen on here in the past 10 years that have even remotely considered such a thing. That hasn't been my experience with psychologists attitude towards psychiatrists either for the most part. I do think that when psychiatrists fall into the dunning-kruger effect type process with psychotherapy services that aren't merely supportive, and resistance to hearing feedback about that, that tends to grind some gears.

It's amazing that a physician comes to this forum with genuine questions about how psychologists should be fairly reimbursed and is met antagonistically. Yet the same psychologists decrying "midlevels" and poor pay also encourage NP degrees so that they can prescribe is absolutely mind-blowing to me. I'm sure psychiatrists will eventually fall to the place you've found yourselves in (that is, making 20-30k more than LCSWs), but I'd be much more willing to take up your cause against crappy trained social workers if every PhD/PsyD I met wasn't ****ting on psychiatrists.
Keep in mind that the person being antagonistic as you mentioned isn’t speaking for everyone here nor is he representative of the majority opinion. Hence why a few others chimed in with more nuanced responses that reflected other views.

Because this space is open to all (as are all the forums) sometimes those with extreme opinions answer first. We have no control over that, but the rest of folks who chimed in didn’t seem to have the same perspective.

Going to extremes helps no one, as we’ve seen. I don’t recall a conversation encouraging NP degrees in here—was that a reference to a specific conversation?

Reactions: 6 users

The funny part is the assumption here that we are mean to physicians. I had/have no idea what degree @randomdoc1 holds and actually assumed he/she was a psychologist. It really does not matter who is running the practice. If you look at the history of those who commented, they are not fans of anyone offering unfair compensation and work for themselves for that reason.

As for psychiatry compensation falling, I see it being just fine and I am actually quite bullish about psychology reimbursement. While technology has led to a decrease in physician owned and led practices in favor of hospital based systems, telehealth has reduced private practice costs for therapists. I am seeing more and more leave for independent/solo practice now that telehealth has become more common.

Hey Kirby! Haven't heard from you in awhile :). And really great to see you again! Yea, that initial slew of comments was like...wtf.
Keep in mind that the person being antagonistic as you mentioned isn’t speaking for everyone here nor is he representative of the majority opinion. Hence why a few others chimed in with more nuanced responses that reflected other views.

Because this space is open to all (as are all the forums) sometimes those with extreme opinions answer first. We have no control over that, but the rest of folks who chimed in didn’t seem to have the same perspective.

Going to extremes helps no one, as we’ve seen. I don’t recall a conversation encouraging NP degrees in here—was that a reference to a specific conversation?
Thank you everyone. I really like the discussion. Phew! Well, I'm glad to see a more bell shaped curve in perspectives here. I mean, I understand this is a forum too, and we are talking about pay, so I was bracing myself as well. But there was fortunately some really useful information. Oh yes, btw, the numbers I threw out at my office is outdated by a little by the collections I have from earlier, new ones with new insurance rates are still rolling in and some nice increases are coming as well.

I know those providing psychotherapy feel the burn of the shortage of good prescribing providers. Us as psychiatrists don't really feel the burn part but yes, the midlevel prescribing discussion is a huge hot button. Perhaps another part of the disconnect is that it's harder for non-physicians to tell who is a good prescribing provider and who is not. I've worked with tons of really great psychologists who had patients that spoke the world of their prescribing provider but on further inspection, it was someone prescribing massive benzo plus stimulant to someone who's getting oxycodone. There can also be prescribing messes with non-controlled substances and I don't expect psychologists to be pharmacologists either. It makes it more confusing that some patients can look excellent in therapy sessions but with a prescriber and billing (gasp-the billing department aka me, to pay their bill) there is raging axis II features. Every provider joining my office, including myself, was absolutely shell shocked at how commonly patients treat their bills (our bills are in perfect accordance with insurance in network rates and terms and conditions) and hence treat their providers. This is ugly, but it's the truth. Insurances almost ALWAYS pay what's in their terms and timely (assuming the claim is written correctly and pristine--but thank god there's software for that now because I don't know how to do one manually). Negotiating rates is a different story. Where providers lose LOTS of income in healthcare systems is patients not paying their bill and that's why the schedules are crazy busy there. One of the psychologists joined here full time from a healthcare system and a number of patients followed her. I'd say 1/3 of those (they were all patients who had deductibles too) threw a massive fit (they were used to ignoring their bills) and one tried to sneak by not paying the bills and finding ways to get back on her calendar by calling repeatedly hoping a different person would answer. This happens every time a psychologist joins us from one of the healthcare systems. It's to the point where I warn them that the billing part may result in a percent of patients leaving because they're used to not paying. Where will they go back? The healthcare system that's not on top of the billing.

Also, very similar situation for the VA. Yes, the VA gets funding. But the VA does bill Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial insurance as well. The hard thing with the VA is providers have the eat the cost of the no shows. It's a promised salary with minimum productivity benchmarks. Convert your completed patient visits at the VA, estimate cost based on geographic insurance norms (VA appears to use Medicare rates as a base determining factor for pay-->the recent increase in annual salary for psychiatrists percentage wise lines up perfectly with the Medicare rate increase the past 2 years). How many visits did you have, how much would insurance generally pay? Subtract then the overhead cost/split in a PP model. You will likely get paid more in PP than the cut the VA left you, because imo, we're subsidizing way more overhead than needed. I've worked at the VA 2 years. Now, if you actually got paid for all those no shows, the time we spent sitting in that office, still at work, the salary would be even bigger, like, a lot. Plus, plenty of room to get 401k, health, dental, vision benefits etc. At least, that's what I calculated when crunching numbers for a psychiatrist.
That hasn't been my experience here or in the field - regarding psychologists wanting to prescribe. I have seen conversations about that for arguments sake, but I can count on one hand the number of peers I have spoken to or seen on here in the past 10 years that have even remotely considered such a thing. That hasn't been my experience with psychologists attitude towards psychiatrists either for the most part. I do think that when psychiatrists fall into the dunning-kruger effect type process with psychotherapy services that aren't merely supportive, and resistance to hearing feedback about that, that tends to grind some gears.
I can see it from the psychologists view too. At least personally, I feel the therapy I give would be nothing near to a psychologist great at their craft. It can get a little slippery both ways, I've seen psychotherapists chime in with therapy patients about how they have friends who take high dose benzos every day and the friends seem to be doing great and the patient interprets that is a recommendation for daily benzos which they bring to the psychiatrist. But I'm at least open to feedback on my therapy :). Excellent therapy at this clinic is our most valuable service, I'd say even more so than the medication management (because there's so much risk and such a slippery psychodynamic slope patients run into with it). Which is why I'm trying to gather more info on payment models. The great providers here, I don't ever want to lose them. But just like a great psychiatrist the clinic doesn't want to lose, the clinic has finite money and I don't have the means to pay the psychiatrist full time pay if they are working at 0.4 FTE. We're always trying to walk this delicate dance of what to pay a provider that the provider is happy about, what the clinic needs, but at the same time promoting good quality work at an economically sustainable model.

The funny part is the assumption here that we are mean to physicians. I had/have no idea what degree @randomdoc1 holds and actually assumed he/she was a psychologist. It really does not matter who is running the practice. If you look at the history of those who commented, they are not fans of anyone offering unfair compensation and work for themselves for that reason.

As for psychiatry compensation falling, I see it being just fine and I am actually quite bullish about psychology reimbursement. While technology has led to a decrease in physician owned and led practices in favor of hospital based systems, telehealth has reduced private practice costs for therapists. I am seeing more and more leave for independent/solo practice now that telehealth has become more common.
lol. I was afraid some on here were starting to think I wasn't even a provider, just some evil admin/owner/capitalist villain. Or that perhaps there is some dynamic between psychologists and psychiatrists. Who knows. Anyways, we're all MH professionals and should know to reflect on our automatic/visceral reactions and it's about what we do with those! fyi, physicians are not a fan of being eaten up by hospital based systems and i suspect neither are psychologists. For discussion sake, I think the reason why it went this way is 1)it's not easy running your own shop and 2)tons of physicians are very financially and administratively (working with health insurance) illiterate and prefer to just do their clinical work. I'm a big supporter of providers being independent. This is where we have the autonomy we deserve and believe it or not, if enough of us get independent, have more influence with how insurance treats us. Some of the insurances, I know from inside sources still even pay the hospital systems crappy. And they are notoriously hard to negotiate with. But we have enough strong providers at this office that I told one of them lately, if you are not increasing rates, please start the termination process of this contract and see how your patients/members do with the growing network deficiency they already have. And they raised the rate. It's about banding together.

A side note I think is interesting that probably ruffles some feathers between psychiatrists and psychologists is that our definitions of busy can be SO different. When the clinic first started, I scratched my head at the difference, but I won't argue further. It's a cultural difference and end of the day I'm just trying to find something that works for everyone and won't break the bank.

Last edited:
A side note I think is interesting that probably ruffles some feathers between psychiatrists and psychologists is that our definitions of busy can be SO different. When the clinic first started, I scratched my head at the difference, but I won't argue further. It's a cultural difference and end of the day I'm just trying to find something that works for everyone and won't break the bank.

If you read the neuropsychology salary thread, you'll see psychologists also differ from each other in their ideas of productivity.

Now, if you want to talk psychology/physicians animosity, there are definite reasons I have some. This has more to do with AMA stances than anything. I don't think I should need a physician auth to see a Medicare patient for psychotherapy. I also think we should have access to E/M codes as there are legit services we are trained to provide, but we cannot bill for them currently.

Last edited:
I work for a physician owned company that scooped up a rather lucrative state contract and clinic (the multispeciality clinic was built and paid for by an insurance company) for kids with chronic health conditions and special state funded insurance designation. However, i've been seeing more and more outside patients. Most of the population I see is on medicaid, poor, and culturally/linguistically diverse. This matters because I am expected to have 7 hours out of 8 filled to have 100% slot utilization. In practice, a busy week for me is like 30 hours, and i've only had a couple of 35 hour weeks. I typically average 25ish hours of face to face time because of no shows/cancellations/etc.

In my clinic psychologists/nps/pt/ot, etc., are all considered tier two providers. We get about two grand and a week for continuing education. I started with 6 weeks PTO and bc i've been here a bit, I just got another week on top of that. I also get a week of sick time.

I make a little more than you quote above.

If I were in your shoes, I would start them with a starting salary of about 6k per month after taxes and benefits. Set them up with a minimum billing expectation of 25 hours a week (more or less depending on no-shows). Incentivize them to see more than that via a bonus or something else/fee split, and renegotiate in a year. I doubt you'll find someone who wants that job full time (why work under someone else when you can do it your way) though.

This has more to do with AMA stances than anything. I don't think I should need a physician auth to see a Medicare patient for psychotherapy. I also think we should have access to E/M codes as there are legit services we are trained to provide, but we cannot bill for them currently.
I believe we both agree in principle on this. It is nice that a physician can bill the level of complexity of the case. However, it's much harder for a psychologist. Certainly a difference in the amount of work depending on the acuity of the case.

If I were in your shoes, I would start them with a starting salary of about 6k per month after taxes and benefits. Set them up with a minimum billing expectation of 25 hours a week (more or less depending on no-shows). Incentivize them to see more than that via a bonus or something else/fee split, and renegotiate in a year. I doubt you'll find someone who wants that job full time (why work under someone else when you can do it your way) though.
Very good food for thought! I crunched the numbers you gave and it's certainly feasible. I agree, it's more attractive to work for yourself. Although it's assuming the person has a good plan of action for the back end work. It ended up being far more than even I anticipated (and time is money too). That and, when you work alone, you don't have much negotiating power at all compared to a group. Unless perhaps you are in an extremely provider deficient area. My favorite insurance, United Healthcare, is unfortunately very big and half the patient population here carries that. And when I started as a psychiatrist practicing alone, they really low ball you. Then they were a beast to negotiate. And get this, when I got the higher rate, they claimed it was being paid when it was not and we had a 9+ month fight to get the back pay. I think with an attractive productivity model (where a provider can enjoy the fruits of the nice group rates) and benefits, something can be generated. That and working for a group, if it's a good group has excellent SEO and referral base. So if someone finds them in a place where they feel much more personal fulfillment with the population they work with, that's also a win. Personally, our population is excellent in the sense that when we do the intakes, we assess if the patient feels ready to commit and engage in therapy which includes being respectful with attendance and timely cancellations. Saves us all a ton of time and more. Now if a provider launches off on their own, more power to them too. Independent is better than big box any day.

I think there are plenty of folks who do not have, and potentially never will have, any desire to run their own practice. As well as a number of other providers early in their careers or leaving settings in which the administrative tasks (e.g., billing) were handled for them, and in striking out on their own, would prefer initially to start with an established group practice. Solo private practice can also be very isolating, which is another draw of a group practice.

Reactions: 5 users
I think there are plenty of folks who do not have, and potentially never will have, any desire to run their own practice. As well as a number of other providers early in their careers or leaving settings in which the administrative tasks (e.g., billing) were handled for them, and in striking out on their own, would prefer initially to start with an established group practice. Solo private practice can also be very isolating, which is another draw of a group practice.
I tend to agree, as a private practitioner. A solo practice is very isolating unless you work hard on your own time to network with local colleagues. Also, setting off and doing private practice is a huge undertaking and a huge amount of work and requires an investment of time/money initially. Not everyone wants to spend the time marketing, creating their own forms and business practices, etc. It’s quite a commitment. And business expenses can get quite high if you have an office, commute, etc. which eats into your bottom line, as do benefits like health insurance, retirement, etc.

I definitely see advantages to working in a place where you don’t have to worry about the administrative tasks/costs required to run your own business while making a decent income and working around other colleagues in a group practice.

It just boils down to preference.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey, not trying to revive the thread or anything. But found out something that made my jaw drop. From an inside source at one of the biggest hospital systems...found the salary range for psychologists. So they see 34 pts a week on average and salary is...drumroll...$76k (that's considered top 25 percentile). HOLY BALLS man. What's going on?! Yea, big boxes need to be put in their place.

• Angry
  • Wow
Hey, not trying to revive the thread or anything. But found out something that made my jaw drop. From an inside source at one of the biggest hospital systems...found the salary range for psychologists. So they see 34 pts a week on average and salary is...drumroll...$76k (that's considered top 25 percentile). HOLY BALLS man. What's going on?! Yea, big boxes need to be put in their place.
That's just bad. Unfortunately, some psychologists will take those positions for various reasons, which ultimately perpetuates the cycle of lower pay in psychology and, by extension, mental health as a whole.

Edit: the 2022 Medicare rate I quickly (and possibly erroneously) found for 90834 is $102.78, with no MAC locality adjustment. I'm not the best at the maths, but assuming 4 weeks of vacation, a just-over 10% no-show rate (i.e., 4 patients/week), and a 100% collection rate, that's $148k/year in billing. Even with some more no-shows and/or <100% collections, that's some serious "overhead" they're shaving off the top. Would anyone seriously consider a 50/50 split if it were being offered by a private practice...?

Last edited:

Yikes, that is simply terrible. Going rate at the big hospital systems here is into 6 figures for 28-32 contact hours. Seriously people, open your own PP at those terrible rates.

• Care
Yikes, that is simply terrible. Going rate at the big hospital systems here is into 6 figures for 28-32 contact hours. Seriously people, open your own PP at those terrible rates.
And this is how insurances can keep exploiting us all as well as us paying for all the unnecessary overhead. This cycle needs to stop.

Psychologists, as a whole, need to quickly become more comfortable talking about money. And, as has been mentioned above, not feeling guilty about requesting/expecting more of it (on average) for their work.

Or, as in the case of my IME no-show this morning, being paid handsomely for your time.

• Care

That is bad and unfortunately not that uncommon from some of the big box hospitals and groups. I believe that one of the largest, now defunct, geropsychology groups was asking for 12 90834s/day, 2 wks vacation, and a salary of $80k. Part-time was something like $45 per 90834. That was for working in nursing homes, so not even office overhead for the clinician. Such garbage.

I would hope that the hospital system qualifies for some loan forgiveness programs with that salary.

That is bad and unfortunately not that uncommon from some of the big box hospitals and groups. I believe that one of the largest, now defunct, geropsychology groups was asking for 12 90834s/day, 2 wks vacation, and a salary of $80k. Part-time was something like $45 per 90834. That was for working in nursing homes, so not even office overhead for the clinician. Such garbage.

I would hope that the hospital system qualifies for some loan forgiveness programs with that salary.

I can't imagine taking a job with salary and benefits a good deal under what I had in my first job out of postdoc. We really need to be doing some career counseling with ECPs.

• Care
I can't imagine taking a job with salary and benefits a good deal under what I had in my first job out of postdoc. We really need to be doing some career counseling with ECPs.

Well several hundred clinicians did (I think they employed between 500-1000 clinicians at one point) and they were still using recruiting firms like crazy. I used to get unsolicited calls all the time.