General query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many of you state for such things as anatomy to "memorize first aid" or for other subjects "spend .5 day on the material and then move on." Is this advice mostly to pass step 1 or to actually do really well on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general consensus is this: the anatomy that is in USMLE that is only dependent on gross anatomy knowledge is so small (some people say 10 questions) that it doesnt do any good to hammer the subject. Even if it is 50 questions, it is still less than 10% of the test, and from what everyone says. FA has all the anatomy that is on the test inside the pages.

On the flipside, I think that most people's advice is for passing, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

I also reviewed my lecture notes (provided by the prof, and they were excellent!) from the first two years of med school. Those helped a lot for basic gross anatomy and neuro review.

They always seem to ask certain "injury" questions, e.g. long thoracic nerve injury, unhappy triad, Colles fracture, etc.

There were probably only 6 or 7 pure gross anatomy questions on my USMLE. Of these, at least 5 were really easy and came right out of First Aid. I didn't listen to people who warned me about this, so I wasted a lot of time here. There were a number of embryo and Neuro questions, which weren't too bad.