General question about # of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools do people usually apply to? I know it depends on the person, but assuming above average/average stats for each school applied to, whats the average number of schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I recall a poll on this subject in the Pre-Allo Forum sometime in the past, where the general question was not stats-specific, but just for everyone to enter the number of schools they had applied to. If you can't find it with a search, you might consider re-constructing such a poll (but in Pre-Allo where it will get more attention).

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, the national average is ~12. To decide this for yourself, you'll need to consider how competitive you are in general and how much of a safety school your state school is.

I found the thread, thanks for the headsup.

AAMC has this data. IIRC, it is 13 or 14 for the national average. I assume that is primary app submissions and not secondaries.

It really depends on YOU and where you live. If you live in Louisiana, you could get by on just 2 or 3 apps - the 2 LSU programs, and then go wild with your last one. But if you live in California, applying to anything under say 15 schools, even for a superstar, is questionable.