General Surgery and Ortho in the ARMY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeybaronjr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thank those of you who have given me advice already, but I really need to begin planning out my 2 ADT rotations and am seeking some advice. A couple questions...

First, while I am aware of the increasing number of problems in primary care within the military/Army by reading this forum, what is the state of surgical specialties and subspecialties. Are they also plagued with similar problems as a whole? Are some sites in better situations than others, and if so, which sites? What would your recommendations be to someone interested in these two branches of medicine? What have overall caseloads been like relative to an average civilian residency?

Second, I am still having trouble getting concrete information about specific surgical/ortho residency programs, and more specifically, MS ADT rotations. Does anybody have any shred of advice to give about specific Army surgery/orthopedic programs? All I know is that the few people I have spoken with at BAMC (gen surg) seem to like it there and their caseloads have been respectable. I also hear that Madigan has a decent program (less reputable source), but I have no specifics. Does anyone have specific names of people whom I may be able to ask more specific questions about their program (that won't give me lip-service)? With only 2 ADT's to "audition" and with a small number of spots available it seems imperative that I pick the two programs that I may wish to end up at and rotate there (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Help!!ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I thank those of you who have given me advice already, but I really need to begin planning out my 2 ADT rotations and am seeking some advice. A couple questions...

First, while I am aware of the increasing number of problems in primary care within the military/Army by reading this forum, what is the state of surgical specialties and subspecialties. Are they also plagued with similar problems as a whole? Are some sites in better situations than others, and if so, which sites? What would your recommendations be to someone interested in these two branches of medicine? What have overall caseloads been like relative to an average civilian residency?

Second, I am still having trouble getting concrete information about specific surgical/ortho residency programs, and more specifically, MS ADT rotations. Does anybody have any shred of advice to give about specific Army surgery/orthopedic programs? All I know is that the few people I have spoken with at BAMC (gen surg) seem to like it there and their caseloads have been respectable. I also hear that Madigan has a decent program (less reputable source), but I have no specifics. Does anyone have specific names of people whom I may be able to ask more specific questions about their program (that won't give me lip-service)? With only 2 ADT's to "audition" and with a small number of spots available it seems imperative that I pick the two programs that I may wish to end up at and rotate there (please correct me if I'm wrong).

i just PM'd you

You should PM RichL025, he is a Gen Surg intern at MAMC. I don't think Ortho has a problem with case numbers. You could try calling the programs and finding someone to speak to.

Members don't see this ad :)
RICH!!

You're a general surgery resident???? How come you never said that???

Galo

I think he's been on that job only about 3 months. If he's lucky, on the surgery services.

I'm not starting a fight or anything, but as screwed up as primary care is, I think surgical subspecialties, or medicals ones requiring alot of ancillary support are the ones in most trouble from a not being able to do your job standpoint.

Five years is such a long time from now, and with this uniservice thing looming, I just wonder what it will be like for any surgeon in the future?? If I had to bet, I'd say not good.

I'm not starting a fight or anything, but as screwed up as primary care is, I think surgical subspecialties, or medicals ones requiring alot of ancillary support are the ones in most trouble from a not being able to do your job standpoint.

From what I've seen (somewhat limited) it's actually been the opposite. Gen surg gets screwed, while the surgical subspecialites do okay. In my surgical subspecialty residency program, we get plenty of cases and have recently purchased tons of new equipment (it goes in cycles, you'll be on shoe string budget for several years, then all of a sudden it's candy land, and then you're back on a tight budget again).

Five years is such a long time from now, and with this uniservice thing looming, I just wonder what it will be like for any surgeon in the future?? If I had to bet, I'd say not good.

Good point, we have no way of knowing what the conditions will be like in the future. That's a big part of the stress associated with doing hpsp: while your career probably won't be screwed, there is always that threat hanging over your head.

In my expereince, its everyone that suffers. If its not an equipment issue, then its a lack of support issue, not enough tech, no anesthesia, etc etc etc

Everyone knows how I feel, and what I experienced. It sucked, and unfortunately I think until it dies, it will writhe along injuring soldiers, and pissing off good doctors.

RICH!!

You're a general surgery resident???? How come you never said that???

Galo

Well, it never really came up, and like OrbitSurg pointed out, it's not yet something I can comment on from authority <g>.

Well, you should be there first hand for the changes, and I'm sure you will report back to this forum what's happening in military medicine as you live it. Five years from now is such a long time who knows what it will be like. Just get as much training as you can!!!!!!!!!!!