General Surgery Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon8675309

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time on SDN. I am trying to apply for general surgery residency next year and wanted to gauge the strength of my application/what are realistic expectations for where I could land. I have researched places I would like to go, but I would also appreciate any suggestions of places to consider as I probably have not looked into all options.

My Deets:

State school
Step 1: 241
Step 2: taking in few months
Clinical grades (ABC system): 4 As and 2 Bs (IM and Peds)
MSPE comments: pretty happy with these, some of my best comments actually came from my B grades, which is bittersweet haha
Not AOA
ECs: lot of volunteering and organization leadership
Research: 10+ posters, 4 non first authors, 3-4 pending first authors, 2 oral presentations
Other: couples with someone doing EM and similarly competitive as me

Members don't see this ad.

You should be competitive for most but not all programs.

What state school are you at?

Mentors? Any hotshots willing to make a personal call and vouch for you?

Quality of your research?

And are you sure no AOA? I didn't think elections happened till the fall.

I will make state school anonymous since that give too much. If you need that I don't mind sharing by PM. There are probably 2-3 mentors who could make a call for me. One I did research with, another I did rotation and case report, and our surgery coordinator. They come out with AOA junior year. Research has been service related, few case reports, literature review, and a pending meta-analysis, which may get into higher impact journal.