General Surgery Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloop213

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a quick question regarding GS LORs. What is the general consensus on getting letters from surgical subspecialties for GS residency applications? And what if majority of letters come from subspecialty attendings who have done general surgery training?

Unrelated question: if I am doing an away rotation from August 28th to Sept 21st, that overlaps with the ERAS deadline (Sept 15th). How would I go about getting a good LOR from that rotation/SubI

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vascular, thoracic

There's no consensus, but keep in mind it's not 1950. Nowadays, vascular and thoracic surgeons have little and sometimes zero involvement in training of general surgery residents.

One letter is ok. But with too many letters from them, general surgery programs may think you're really applying to integrated programs, and see gen surg as a backup. So make sure most of your letters are from people in your field.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright sounds good! I'll probably end up having a 50/50 split. Thanks for the response!

I guess a corollary to this question is would it seem weird if half my 4th year AIs/electives were directly general surgery (SICU/Trauma and GS) and other half elective subspecialty (thoracic/vascular)? For context, my actual AIs are in general surgery and my electives are in subspecialties.

I guess a corollary to this question is would it seem weird if half my 4th year AIs/electives were directly general surgery (SICU/Trauma and GS) and other half elective subspecialty (thoracic/vascular)? For context, my actual AIs are in general surgery and my electives are in subspecialties.
Bump

no.