Generic letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polaris5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I ask my professors in the future for a letter of recommendation, should I ask for a generic letter of recommendation because I am applying to both medical schools and masters programs (in the case that I don't get into medical schools)? And also there might be a few summer internship programs that require rec letters as well. I don't want to feel like I'm bugging them with all the different rec letters.
Has anyone been in a similar position? What should I do?
Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, generic = mediocrity. Either you are all-in or you are shooting yourself in the foot. It sounds like you may not even be sure about medicine? This should be your focus.

These letters should be critically evaluating your ability to perform in medical school and beyond based on the letter writers' interactions with you. Good letters are not vague and "generic".

You should be up-front and honest and explain that you are interested in possibly a few letters, depending on the outcome. But for now, you just need the medical school letter.

In short, from a purely medical school admissions perspective, you should have all your letters specifically directed towards medicine. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

Good luck.

When I ask my professors in the future for a letter of recommendation, should I ask for a generic letter of recommendation because I am applying to both medical schools and masters programs (in the case that I don't get into medical schools)? And also there might be a few summer internship programs that require rec letters as well. I don't want to feel like I'm bugging them with all the different rec letters.
Has anyone been in a similar position? What should I do?
Thanks in advance! :)

I applied to some SMPs and they all accepted composite letters that had been written for med school.