1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Generics/Brand Named Drugs

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by panadacoke, Nov 18, 2005.

1. panadacoke

panadacoke Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi all, I've been volunteering in a community pharmacy for awhile but I never see the pharmacist ask the patients whether they want brand named drugs/ generics. So I asked the pharmacist and she told me that she gave out generics most of the time because it would be cheaper. My question is, can pharmacists give out generics without asking the patients? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. npage148

npage148 Senior Member
    PhD Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In new york state, the script must have the DAW box filled out at the bottom of the script to be dispensed brand. If it is a phone in, the person phoning it in must specify if they want the brand name, if they dont say anything it is dispensed generic. On a off note, we will keep a partient on the brand if its a narrow TI drug (synthroid, dilantin, tegretol...) regardless of what they write for.

4. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It's up to the individual state. In Florida, we can substitute generics unless the physician writes "Medically Necessary" in his own handwriting on the script. We also have a few negative formulary drugs that we cannot change. I always ask the patient, because we have a few people who refuse anything except brand.

5. fairyofsong

fairyofsong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Same in Georgia. Unless the doctor specifies "brand name only" the patient's insurance/or/medicaid will only pay for generic. If the patient wants brand and the doctor didn't write it as necessary--then the patient can always pay for the medication out of pocket (not on insurance) which is much more $$! :)

6. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

and signing DAW isn't enough
    they have to write "brand medically necessary"
    we had some that just wrote DAW when we requested the other and they had to send us a 3rd prescription....

7. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    WA is fun! We may substitute unless the prescriber says DAW... except when the Rx is from out of state. Then we follow the rules of the state that it was written in.

8. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

we substitute unless brand medically necessary is written on the rx for medicaid patients

or if the patient throws a fit and is willing to pay the difference.... this typically only happens with those who have insurance

i also love the people who complain that their insurance company "doesn't cover" their meds ($20 copay)

9. bananaface

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We have a state sponsored coinsurance plan here. For non-formulary items, they pay half. Surprisingly, alot of people cough it up. They are starting to realize that when they choose a lower monthly premium, they get fewer prescription and medical benefits. Well, some of them anyway.

10. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your state enforces the laws of other states where the law differs? Isn't that against the constitution or something?

11. bananaface

Pharmacist
    Pharmacists are expected to follow the rules the prescriber was working under when the prescription was written. How would that be unconstitutional?

12. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been a CA pharmacist for 26 years - I don't know the laws of the other states and wouldn't know how to find them! In CA we are obligated to dispense generic unless MD specifies - that can be done in lots of ways. There is always a process for having insurance pay for brand name -called prior authorization and is usually initiated by MD after we or pt tells them. It is only approved when there is sufficient medical justification for brand name use. Now...the patient can always request the brand name themselves - then there is no obligation for insurance coverage.