Genetic Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scott1452

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wondering if there are any past or current genetic counselors perspective students out there. Our field is small and I don't know anyone else applying so I have no idea how to judge how things are going.

How many schools did you apply to? Got interviews/denied?

Have you heard back yet ?

Anyone know any information on Wayne State University?

I have a 3.54 gpa and 318 gre both subjects in 80th percentile and extra curricular and I was denied at Brandies, but offered an interview at wayne state university!

I applied to
1.) Wayne State University - interview
2.) Sarah Lawrence - havent heard yet
3.) Mt Sinai- havent heard yet
4.) U Pitt - havent heard yet
5.) Brandeis- Denied

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Scott,

This is my 2nd year applying to GC programs. I applied to four last year, got 2 interviews and ended up high on the waiting lists for both schools, but no end acceptance. This field is really really crazy competitive! This year I applied to 6 schools and have received 4 invitations to interview. I'm still waiting to hear from Boston University and California State University. I have heard from Sarah Lawrence and University of Pittsburgh.

Congrats on Wayne State!

Where else did you apply, im nervous because I haven't heard back from upitt or Sarah Lawrence yet. Im hoping due to Sarah Lawrence's class size and the amount of people they interview Ill get one but I hope they don't send out all interviews at the same time and the reason I haven't heard back is cause im going to be denied.

when did you hear from upitt and sarah Lawrence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think its a bad idea to give them a call and ask a time frame ?

I heard from Sarah Lawrence just yesterday and U Pitt on Monday. It seems like programs don't necessarily notify everyone all at once, or they could have notified a first wave and then wait for those people to accept an interview slot, repeat until all of the slots are taken. I also applied to U of M and UC-Denver.

I don't think it's a bad idea to ask a time frame. Maybe e-mail the program coordinator because everyone at the admissions office is probably crazy busy at this time. For Sarah Lawrence everyone is signing up for interviews through the admissions portal, so check that first.

Checked no luck, maybe ill send them an email and see how it goes, did you interview with them in the past?

I'm applying to two genetic counseling programs in my area (I am geographically limited), and I would like to hear from any of you that are thinking of going into the same field.

Here are my stats:

GPA undergrad (biology): 3.5 (Ivy League school)
GPA Master's (biology): 3.6
GPA PhD (genetics): 4.0 (graduating Spring 2015, hopefully!)

GRE:
V: 170 (99th percentile)
Q: 168 (95th percentile)
AW: 5.5 (98th percentile)

I have about eight years of lab research experience and 5 years of teaching experience at a number of levels. I shadowed three genetic counselors, but only for about a week total due to my commitments as a PhD student. I have very limited advocacy experience, which I'm sort of worried about (I did some volunteering organizing a holiday party at a women's shelter for several years).

I applied to LIU and Mt. Sinai, and haven't heard back from either yet.

Lol youll be fine you have so many qualifications. I feel like a little guppy compared to your and others qualifications.

I've found in grad school admissions it's all about what they're looking for, so definitely stay positive!

Got an interview from sarah lawrence today so thats good!

Got an interview from sarah lawrence today so thats good!
Congrats on the interview. When did you apply? Sarah Lawrence is the only school I haven't heard back from, but I submitted that application in late December.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to get very nervous that I haven't heard anything. Got a rejection email from Mt. Sinai today (I knew it was a reach), but haven't received any information from either LIU or SL.

I only applied to SL last year, had an interview, which I was very underprepared for. I know my application is weaker than most on terms of grades/exam scores so my anxiety levels are sky high right now!

I heard from Sarah Lawrence on Monday of this week and I just got an interview at Mt Sinai today. I would give them a call and see if they can give you any more information on it. Still haven't heard from upitt but I have three interviews lines up and got two acceptances to molecular biology masters programs with one a full tuition waiver and 19k stipend a year. going to interview and visit them all in next three weeks.

Anyone have any interview tips?

Congrats on the interview. When did you apply? Sarah Lawrence is the only school I haven't heard back from, but I submitted that application in late December.
I applied in like late December also maybe Christmas eve I think. I hope it all works out, they just contacted me Monday and I signed up via my application portal.

I'm really confused rn... This is pre allo right?

Hope I'm not too late to post! I also don't know any fellow genetic counseling applicants, so I'm super glad to see this thread.

State school overall GPA: 3.85

Applied to:
1. CSU Stanislaus: haven't heard yet
2. Stanford: denied
3. Ohio State University: already interviewed
4. Virginia Commonwealth University: interview
5. UC Irvine: interview

The wait for CSU Stanislaus is killing me! ):

Hope I'm not too late to post! I also don't know any fellow genetic counseling applicants, so I'm super glad to see this thread.

Applied to:

I have a similar situation

I applied to five and have interviews at three, denied from one and waiting to hear from upitt still. I also applied to a few other back up programs in molecular biology just in case so im also juggling those ones.

How was your interview ?

I have a similar situation

I applied to five and have interviews at three, denied from one and waiting to hear from upitt still. I also applied to a few other back up programs in molecular biology just in case so im also juggling those ones.

How was your interview ?
My interview went really well! It consisted of 5 short interviews in the form of MMI. I actually really enjoyed it because they really test your critical thinking skills.

Applying to back up schools seems like a good idea! Thinking of applying to my undergrad institution as a grad student just in case...

Last edited:
May I ask why are you guys applying to other types of programs? Genetic Counseling is a pretty specific field, and in my experience admissions committees/interviewers really want to see that you want to become a GC.

Reactions: 1 user
May I ask why are you guys applying to other types of programs? Genetic Counseling is a pretty specific field, and in my experience admissions committees/interviewers really want to see that you want to become a GC.
Yeah, you're right. I just had a brief moment of doubt because my family was trying to convince me to do something else. :\ If I don't get into any programs this year, there's always next year!

Yeah, you're right. I just had a brief moment of doubt because my family was trying to convince me to do something else. :\ If I don't get into any programs this year, there's always next year!
That's the spirit! Getting an interview is a big step as well- you beat out 100+ other people who applied.

I really want to be a genetic counselor, however my family also wanted me to apply to other programs. I also have to figure out the financials because I have a great amount of undergrad debt and I have to make sure it is a smart and possible move to have to pay for a gc program, whereas other grad programs are free and even pay for you to go.

So its a dream and im chasing it and hoping it works out but best to always have a back up plan.

Applied to:

I keep thinking that today will be the day we hear from CSU... but it never is :(. Surely before the end of this week, right!?

Haha all I had to do was post about it here! They e-mailed me :D.

I have finally heard from LIU (got interview!). Still waiting to hear from SLC and plan on do contacting them if I am still in limbo Monday at noon.

Reactions: 1 user
I have finally heard from LIU (got interview!). Still waiting to hear from SLC and plan on do contacting them if I am still in limbo Monday at noon.
Yes, March seems too late to let people know! Did you check the application website as well?

How are everyone's interviews going? My first one is on the 17th!

How are everyone's interviews going? My first one is on the 17th!
Good I have my last two this week, but it seems to have gone well. They all just ask the same questions over and over again, its can become hard to seem interested after your 6th interview where they all ask the same questions.

My first interview since my OSU one is next week e___e I guess I should start practicing this weekend!

Hi there, late to this game but glad to have read all of your posts! Nice to have peers. (Telefrancais I love your username... I miss that show!)

I'm a bit older of an applicant, graduated with a B.A. in English in 2008 and discovered genetic counseling 5 years out of college. I worked really hard to complete prereqs/volunteering/advocacy all while working full-time, and applied to these schools after 2 years of nonstop work! My scores are not tip-top, but I have a lot of experience in several volunteer positions and am part of a genome research project with Harvard so I think that's carrying me.

Science GPA ~3.72 Undergrad GPA 3.62
GRE: Verbal - 159 (81%) / Quant - 155 (60%)/ Writing - 4.5 (80%)

Stanford - rejected (no interview)
UMD - rejected (no interview)
Emory - already interviewed
Brandeis - already interviewd
BU - interview Monday
Michigan - interview 3/22
Mt. Sinai - interview 4/1
Cincinnati - interview 4/6
Wisconsin-Madison - interview 4/13

The interviews are so far enjoyable to me, because my family and friends are all sick of hearing about genetics and genetic counseling so far, it's nice to have a captive audience for my enthusiasm :) I think they've gone well, but I'm very insecure about my non-traditional background and scores. You just never know what they're looking for!

How's everyone doing? I'll be attending LIU in the fall - anyone else?

Currently in waitlist limbo. So hard not knowing how many spots are taken or how close you are to being accepted.

Same here! It's already Wednesday so I'm going to assume that it's too late for me... :\ I'm already mentally preparing myself for the unmatched program lol.

Good luck Anxiouslywaiting and telefrancais! I hope it works out for you both!

Was accepted to Wayne State University with a 30k scholarship but declined. I also declined an interview at Sarah Lawrence. However did anyone not hear anything from any schools? University of pittsburgh never got back to me on anything so I may call and ask for my money back because the application was expensive and I don't find it okay they never responded with anything.

Not a too much information about Wayne State University. I am a genetic researcher and help you to solve your your genetic queries.

Can someone explain to me the unmatched program? TIA!