Genetics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm kinda stuck on this problem.

"A color blind man without hemophilia (both X-linked traits) marries a woman who is a carrier for both traits. What is the probability they will have a son with both color blindness and hemophilia? Hemophilia and color blindness are unlinked genes"

I got 1/16 (1/4 prob of having a son with colorblindness x 1/4 prob of having a son with hemophilia)...but the answer is 1/8!

Please help me out with this. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This question is a bit tricky, I assume due to phrasing...I'll give it my best shot.

So, the man is color blind without hemophilia. This means he will give either a Y chromosome to a child, or an X chromosome carrying color blindness (but not hemophilia). Ultimately we know he must be passing on his Y chromosome since the question asks about a son. The mother is a carrier for both traits - so there are two possibilities for her chromosomes:

1. One X-chromosome with the genes for hemophilia AND colorblindness, and one X-chromosome without any issues
2. One X-chromosome with the gene for hemophilia (but normal for color blindness), and one X-chromosome with the gene for color blindness (but normal for hemophilia).

#1 has to be the case - it is the only way to have a son with both conditions simultaneously. Since the genes are unlinked, I think the implication is that the chance of #1 being the case is 1/2 (since 1. and 2. are equally likely possibilities).

Chance of having a son: 1/2
Chance of mother's X chromosome carrying both hemophilia AND colorblindness (see explanation above): 1/2
Chance of inheriting mother's affected X chromosome: 1/2

1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8 chance of having a son with color blindness and hemophilia. Remember, the question asks about the probability of having a son with both (simultaneously), not either/or.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This question is a bit tricky, I assume due to phrasing...I'll give it my best shot.

So, the man is color blind without hemophilia. This means he will give either a Y chromosome to a child, or an X chromosome carrying color blindness (but not hemophilia). Ultimately we know he must be passing on his Y chromosome since the question asks about a son. The mother is a carrier for both traits - so there are two possibilities:

1. One X-chromosome with the genes for hemophilia AND colorblindness, and one X-chromosome without any issues
2. One X-chromosome with the gene for hemophilia (but normal for color blindness), and one X-chromosome with the gene for color blindness (but normal for hemophilia).

#1 has to be the case - it is the only way to have a son with both conditions simultaneously. Since the genes are unlinked, I think the implication is that the chance of #1 being the case is 1/2 (since 1. and 2. are equally likely possibilities).

Chance of mother's X chromosome carrying both hemophilia AND colorblindness (see explanation above): 1/2

1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8 chance of having a son with color blindness and hemophilia. Remember, the question asks about the probability of having a son with both (simultaneously), not either/or.
So unless the question specifically states "of all children" or says "prob of a boy/girl having the disorder", you have to multiply by 1/2 for the probability of male or female?

So, the man is color blind without hemophilia. This means he will give either a Y chromosome to a child, or an X chromosome carrying color blindness (but not hemophilia). Ultimately we know he must be passing on his Y chromosome since the question asks about a son. The mother is a carrier for both traits - so there are two possibilities:

For example, if the question asked "the probability that their son will have both disorders" then you would do 1/2*1/2=1/4 right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends entirely on the phrasing. If they ask what the probability of having a son with (insert random condition) is, then you have to account for the chance of having a son * the chance of having the condition. If they say something like "If the mother and the father have a son, what is the probability he has (insert condition)", then you don't need to account for the chance of having a son because it's already assumed in the question.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends entirely on the phrasing. If they ask what the probability of having a son with (insert random condition) is, then you have to account for the chance of having a son * the chance of having the condition. If they say something like "If the mother and the father have a son, what is the probability he has (insert condition)", then you don't need to account for the chance of having a son because it's already assumed in the question.
Perfect, and great explanation. Thank you very much Feralis!

So, the man is color blind without hemophilia. This means he will give either a Y chromosome to a child, or an X chromosome carrying color blindness (but not hemophilia). Ultimately we know he must be passing on his Y chromosome since the question asks about a son. The mother is a carrier for both traits - so there are two possibilities for her chromosomes:

But wouldn't the chance of having a boy with both of them be 1/4 because out of the two possibilities, the boy could get either the X chromosome with both conditions, no condition, just hemophilia, or just colorblindness?