Genetics Question...

Started by Thomas6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thomas6

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I stumbled upon a genetics question in a practice PCAT. It reads:

The following phenotypes are seen as a result of a genetic cross: purple flowers smooth seeds, purple flowers wrinkled seeds, white flowers smooth seeds, and white flowers wrinkled seeds. What are the parental genotypes?

a) PPSS x ppss
b) PpSs x PpSs
c) ppss x ppss
d) PpSs x ppss

The answer they give is: "B. the only way to get all four phenotypes (dominant and recessive) is to have both parents heterozygous for both dominant & recessive traits."

But wouldn't D also work?
 
I stumbled upon a genetics question in a practice PCAT. It reads:

The following phenotypes are seen as a result of a genetic cross: purple flowers smooth seeds, purple flowers wrinkled seeds, white flowers smooth seeds, and white flowers wrinkled seeds. What are the parental genotypes?

a) PPSS x ppss
b) PpSs x PpSs
c) ppss x ppss
d) PpSs x ppss

The answer they give is: "B. the only way to get all four phenotypes (dominant and recessive) is to have both parents heterozygous for both dominant & recessive traits."

But wouldn't D also work?


Yes I think so. I tried doing a punnet squares and I got 4 phenotypes
purple smooth, purple wrinkle, white smooth, and white wrinkle.

choice D) PpSs x ppss

possible gametes of PpSs is PS, Ps, pS, ps
possible gametes of ppss is ps

cross these two possible gametes and I got

Genotypes = PpSs: Ppss : ppSs : ppss

purple smooth: Purple wrinkle: white smooth: white wrinkle (1:1:1:1 Phenotypic ratio)

a typo perhaps? is it kaplan?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad