Genetics Specialty??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chypes

Caffine Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a medical specialty dealing with genetics..???...if not this will be necessary sometime in the future....as gene therapy develops further.....seems like it should eventualy be a seperate specialty.....

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of such a speciality, but it doesn't seem like such an off the wall idea. The drawback would be the complexity of such a speciality. Most diseases have strong genetic components. It could be a speciality within a speciality. I guess as an internist, one could deal specifically with the clinical coordination of new genetics based therapies.

As for genetic counseling, the field is blossoming. Most programs are catering to granting MS degrees. I guess as a physician working with genetic-based diseases, it would be a nice perspective to offer to patients.

I spent my summer shadowing a geneticist. I learned not only about the numerous genetic disorders but also the affect they have on their patients and family members. It's an extremely interesting medical speciality.

Most "genetecists" are Phds though right? (or MD/Phd or MA genetic councelors). I was just noticing how facinating some geneitic disorders are (downs and huntingtons in particular....but there are tons of interesting ones) and was kinda wonder who is going to administer gene therapy after it goes from the experimental to the main stream. It would almost have to be a physician but one who is extensively trained in a very specific area of biology.....genetics is a complex field, taking portions of a lot of other major fields (molecular bio and microbiology come to mind).