1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Genetics Specialty??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chypes, Oct 10, 2002.

1. chypes

chypes Caffine Addict
    10+ Year Member

Is there a medical specialty dealing with genetics..???...if not this will be necessary sometime in the future....as gene therapy develops further.....seems like it should eventualy be a seperate specialty.....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. isidella

7+ Year Member

I have never heard of such a speciality, but it doesn't seem like such an off the wall idea. The drawback would be the complexity of such a speciality. Most diseases have strong genetic components. It could be a speciality within a speciality. I guess as an internist, one could deal specifically with the clinical coordination of new genetics based therapies.

As for genetic counseling, the field is blossoming. Most programs are catering to granting MS degrees. I guess as a physician working with genetic-based diseases, it would be a nice perspective to offer to patients.

4. naya

naya Member
    7+ Year Member

I spent my summer shadowing a geneticist. I learned not only about the numerous genetic disorders but also the affect they have on their patients and family members. It's an extremely interesting medical speciality.

5. chypes

chypes Caffine Addict
    10+ Year Member

Most "genetecists" are Phds though right? (or MD/Phd or MA genetic councelors). I was just noticing how facinating some geneitic disorders are (downs and huntingtons in particular....but there are tons of interesting ones) and was kinda wonder who is going to administer gene therapy after it goes from the experimental to the main stream. It would almost have to be a physician but one who is extensively trained in a very specific area of biology.....genetics is a complex field, taking portions of a lot of other major fields (molecular bio and microbiology come to mind).