Genetics vs Molecular Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Sunny_Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken both of these? Was planning on just taking Genetics, but the professor for the other course sounds really good. Here are the course descriptions:

Genetics (3000 level, requirement for the B.S. in biology)
A study of the principles and theories of heredity including the gene concept, Mendelian and non-Mendelian inheritance. Basic concepts include: the nature, organization, transmission, expression, recombination and function of genetic materials. Principles are derived for genetically characterizing populations. The curriculum is inquiry based and fully integrated with laboratory experiences which emphasize active learning strategies.

3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Molecular Genetics (4000 level, elective for the B.S.)
Genetics will be investigated at the molecular level. Gene structure, function, variation, and control will be studied with respect to animal and plant cell structure and function. The curriculum is inquiry based and fully integrated with laboratory experiences which emphasize active learning strategies.

3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lab hours

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i've taken the 3000 level genetics not at that school but it was fairly easy same with the labs the other genetics does sound interesting though

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just take genetics 3000, it is all you'll need for the mcat to be honest.

What do you guys think about taking genetics at a CC? I believe it's still considerer an upper division science course. Would adcoms prefer I take it at a university? Rather take it at a cc for financial reasons, as well as living next to 2 cc schools.

What do you guys think about taking genetics at a CC? I believe it's still considerer an upper division science course. Would adcoms prefer I take it at a university? Rather take it at a cc for financial reasons, as well as living next to 2 cc schools.

I think your best bet in determining that is to contact your schools of interest and see what their opinion of CC credits is.

The 4000 level course is far more interesting; however, the 3000 level course is easier. Pick your poison. From what I have heard it would be more worth it to take physio or anatomy if you haven't already.