Genuinely confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SpoiledMilk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All. I am a bit confused about advice a faculty member at my medschool gave me regarding my goals in FM. I told them I was hoping after 3 years of residency, I might consider a year fellowship. Then after a few years, possibly going solo with my own practice. They said the uncertainty of me maybe doing the fellowship and then maybe doing the solo practice indicate I was being wishy washy and showing indecisiveness.

Am I?
 
Not at all. Not knowing exactly what career choices you will make years in the future does not make you wishy washy. Having an idea of what you might want to do but being willing to adjust is perfectly reasonable. Way more reasonable than saying I will for sure take this action in X number of years, when your career and life priorities may be completely different than they are now.
 
Lol I think I might still join the circus, I’m not sold on this whole doctor thing 8 years out of residency. Academics really is an ivory tower.