Ranking help..confused!! Any Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jypat84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there..if anybody can suggest on my ROL or any opinions...

Family is in Texas and want a good training program..thanks...

1.Advocate Christ Chicago,IL
2,Conroe Med Foundation TX
3.William Beaumont, Troy,MI
4.SUMMA Akron,OH
5.UIL/Methodist- Peoria,IL
6.Swedish Covenant Chicago,IL
7.St. Anthony Hospital OKC
8.St.Vincent Jacksonville,FL

thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

4.SUMMA Akron,OH

thanks in advance...

Put Conroe first then throw darts at the rest!

Actually, is Conroe near your family? I guess it is the only Texas program you interviewed at. I don't know much about the rest of your programs.

Thanks for the reply...conroe is an hr away from home...what do you know about the program? training? any help wold be appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply...conroe is an hr away from home...what do you know about the program? training? any help wold be appreciated

I interview there in November. Everyone was super nice. The new thing is the clinic they have. It is probably the nicest clinic I have seen on all my interviews. The program has 10 residents and the thing that stood out to me most was they said they work 1 weekend a month. The have a long call during a weekday which is to 10 pm? I know they said they usually get there around 5 AM and leave anywhere from 5 to 6. They seem to be able to get procedures if they need to just like most the of the other unopposed family programs in Texas.

It was a nice surprise for me when I interviewed. I enjoyed it. It will be on my rank list.

Here are my options in no particular order:

UTenn Knoxville
UTexas Austin
UTenn Chattanooga
Riverside Columbus
MAHEC Hendersonville
MAHEC Asheville
Wake Forest
Duke

Family is in Nashville and would like to be close to them. Thoughts?

4.SUMMA Akron,OH

thanks in advance...

Just an FYI, but Akron is not really considered the safest of places.

Here are my options in no particular order:

UTenn Knoxville
UTexas Austin
UTenn Chattanooga
Riverside Columbus
MAHEC Hendersonville
MAHEC Asheville
Wake Forest
Duke

Family is in Nashville and would like to be close to them. Thoughts?

Another FYI, Riverside in Columbus is a very reputable hospital. However a city based program would be drastically different than say MAHEC so it's interesting you have these on your list.

University of Iowa
St. Joseph's Universit of Minnesota
NE Iowa, Waterloo
U of Minnesota, Mankato
Medical College of Wisconsin, St. Joseph's
U of Wisconsin, Wausau

Muncie, IN
Ft Worth, TX
Greenwood, SC
Knoxville, TN
Asheville, NC

So after mulling my list over some more, and doing some second looks, I am really stuck with these parts of my list...

For #1: Ball Memorial in Muncie, IN vs JPS in Ft Worth, TX

Solid #3 is Mission in Asheville, NC; Then again, I could put this place higher up, too.

#4 is likely Knoxville, TN

#5 is likely Greenwood, SC

Can't speak for any of the other programs, but I did a month as a student and interviewed at Conroe 3 years ago. If McKernan is still there, you may seriously want to rank that one highest.

So, based on my month -- no toxicity, period. Attendings were nice, interested in getting good people, interested in teaching, high speed/low drag. There was a husband/wife team there that had gone to Baylor Medical School and they were really cool and great teachers who jumped at the chance to help an intern. Good people.

McKernan - DO program director - definitely a no BS kinda guy -- he wants to and is capable of training full scope FM docs. He definitely knows his stuff in all aspects of Family Medicine, is approachable and practices what he preaches to his patients and residents regarding diet/exercise.

They have their own inpatient service that allows 2nd years to follow them into the ICU.

Great little hospital to work at and the clinic was nice. Residents had their own work area in the precepting rooms - kinda like wanna be cubicles.

Downsides:

Conroe itself is split down the middle by Interstate 45. Makes driving a pain, housing was a bit expensive for me on the projected resident's salary to get better schools. For me, it was too doggone muggy and I don't like Houston nor do I want to be that close to it.

Some of the resident's were upset when I was there - mainly the one's who wanted to match something else and didn't get it...otherwise, a good helpful atmosphere with no real problems amongst the group.

Again, this was 3 years ago so your mileage may vary, no warranties expressed or implied.

Also - have you considered the FM program in Tyler? That was like a JPS light in a nice, small town -- the schools were kinda iffy but I found out too late that the private schools offer scholarships and adjusted payment plans -- otherwise, I'd be there...almost changed my rank list the night before the match to put Tyler first -- that program is real badass...
Pathology was good, lots of procedures and if I understood correctly - When Katrina hit, the PD went to a skeleton crew to cover clinic/hospital responsibilities and told his people to saddle up, loaded a bunch of ready equipment bags into a van and went down, set up shop and starting seeing patients....

Again, YMMV, no warranties expressed or implied, this advice is worth what you're paying for it.