Geographic Bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SympatricSpeciation

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong interest in matching Northeast but go to a (well-regarded) school out of the region. How strong is the geographic bias when applying to residency in IM? If you went to a top 50 school in region x, would it be too risky to apply to primarily schools in area y, provided that you are a good match on paper? Or should one always apply broadly and everywhere for fear of not matching?

Members don't see this ad.

extremely strong regional bias, particularly at top institutions and internal medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Apply broadly to both regions. IM is pretty old-school in that there’s tons of regional and name bias.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people get around it with am email describing your ties to a region or specifically why you want to go there

I've seen people get around it with am email describing your ties to a region or specifically why you want to go there

When do they send this email?

Also a girl from a solid mid tier non-Cali school out west told me her PD asked her which schools she was applying to and would call them as the PD and she thinks she got many IIs to the Midwest as a result.

When do they send this email?

Now or never. Almost all schools have their waitlists filled. Also not at Osteoth, but to anyone reading this, try to be genuine and send them to only 2-3 places.

Now or never. Almost all schools have their waitlists filled. Also not at Osteoth, but to anyone reading this, try to be genuine and send them to only 2-3 places.

I'm not applying yet, just wondering in an ideal world when do you send these type of emails. While I'm asking when do you send love-letters?

I'm not applying yet, just wondering in an ideal world when do you send these type of emails. While I'm asking when do you send love-letters?

After Mid-November I think but I know there’ll be tons of people sending them before then. I think Mid-November is the earliest reasonable time while still not being too late.

Last edited:

I would argue early November