Georgetown CAM Program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this program the other day and it's a 5-year MS/MD. You spend 1 year doing a MS in physiology at the grad school and then 4 years getting your MD at the med school at Georgetown.

The catch is actually getting into this competitive program.

Anyone have any other info on this? The website sucks ass in giving information.

Anyone know when applications come out? and if it's just one application, or seperate applications to both the grad and med schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

theunderdog said:
I saw this program the other day and it's a 5-year MS/MD. You spend 1 year doing a MS in physiology at the grad school and then 4 years getting your MD at the med school at Georgetown.

The catch is actually getting into this competitive program.

Anyone have any other info on this? The website sucks ass in giving information.

Anyone know when applications come out? and if it's just one application, or seperate applications to both the grad and med schools?

Thanks!

I think the program is only for URMs?

You are talking about the SMP program. It is a very tough load to work with, especially from the students I see here as a med student. if you need more info, there is plenty of threads explaining the specifics. Just do a search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Applied said:
You are talking about the SMP program. It is a very tough load to work with, especially from the students I see here as a med student. if you need more info, there is plenty of threads explaining the specifics. Just do a search.

I think there is a such thing as the CAM program, its mainly for URMs. Basically do med school in 5 years; different from the SMP program.

NRAI2001 said:
http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/cam/index.html

Actually doesnt say if its for URMs, but i think i read somewhere that it is.

So if you get into this program and complete it, your in the medschool the next year? Is it difficult to get into this program?

Actually the 5 yr program for URMs is totally different and is called GEMS. There are a few threads on sdn about that. I was told that the alternative medicine program aka CAM is a good/ interesting program to do. However, you should only do it if your undergrad record is solid and you want something to supplement your application. Unlike the Special masters program, this program will not makeup for a lacklustre undergraduate performance. If you are interested in this program for fun of it, go ahead and do it. If you are interested in it because you are trying to prove to adcoms that you can handle med school, then go for the SMP instead. By the way, if you get accepted to georgetowns medical school, i hear you can take several electives in alternative medicine. Thats another option to consider. gluck

jasmynediva said:
Actually the 5 yr program for URMs is totally different and is called GEMS. There are a few threads on sdn about that. I was told that the alternative medicine program aka CAM is a good/ interesting program to do. However, you should only do it if your undergrad record is solid and you want something to supplement your application. Unlike the Special masters program, this program will not makeup for a lacklustre undergraduate performance. If you are interested in this program for fun of it, go ahead and do it. If you are interested in it because you are trying to prove to adcoms that you can handle med school, then go for the SMP instead. By the way, if you get accepted to georgetowns medical school, i hear you can take several electives in alternative medicine. Thats another option to consider. gluck

So if you are accepted into the CAM program, does that mean you are basically accepted by the med school also? Or do you apply to the med school afterwards?

From the website it seems that if you finish the CAM program, ur in the med school the next year?

NRAI2001 said:
So if you are accepted into the CAM program, does that mean you are basically accepted by the med school also? Or do you apply to the med school afterwards?

From the website it seems that if you finish the CAM program, ur in the med school the next year?

Bump

NRAI2001 said:

The CAM program is a one year masters, like the SMP, but is not intended to help you get into Georgetown med. I'm sure that having a masters degree from Georgetown wouldn't hurt, but there is no linkage implied like there is with the SMP.

CAM is not especially for minorities, that's the GEMS program. CAM is a pretty new program (this is its second or third year), and I would imagine the main reason people do it is because they are generally interested in this area. I don't believe there is a 5 year CAM/MD program, although you could probably do that if you had high stats, but you would have to apply separately.

tacrum43 said:
The CAM program is a one year masters, like the SMP, but is not intended to help you get into Georgetown med. I'm sure that having a masters degree from Georgetown wouldn't hurt, but there is no linkage implied like there is with the SMP.

CAM is not especially for minorities, that's the GEMS program. CAM is a pretty new program (this is its second or third year), and I would imagine the main reason people do it is because they are generally interested in this area. I don't believe there is a 5 year CAM/MD program, although you could probably do that if you had high stats, but you would have to apply separately.

The CAM/MD program does exist, but not in the way that most people think. You DO have to apply to them separately. Conventional wisdom tells me that if you qualify for the MD program, you'll probably qualify for the CAM program as well.