Georgetown Class of 2011!

Started by Crazy4F1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the link 🙂 when i saw "senior mentor program" it made me think we were getting 4th year mentors....oops.


...and the suggested reading list? am i glad i kept my kaplan books or what...🙁


is the gym on the med school campus or the undergrad campus?

Almost universally, the current students have recommended completely disregarding that suggested reading list, and relaxing before school starts.

WRT your last question, I don't think there is a true separation between the med school and undergrad campuses. To better answer your question though, the gym is maybe 1/4 mile away from the medical school - a turf field separates the two - it's very easy to get to.
 
haha good, i dont want to be studying this summer. will be busy enough as it is. i was lucky enough to get a job with the nylf (www.nylf.org) this summer so i'll be living on the georgetown campus for about 6 weeks. plenty of time to find the gym 🙂 would i be right in saying if i was to stand on that terrace-type thing "behind" the med school building (on the side of the building that isnt facing reservoir road), and was to look off into the distance, you see the football field, etc, the undergrad buildings, and that's the direction the gym is in?
 
haha good, i dont want to be studying this summer. will be busy enough as it is. i was lucky enough to get a job with the nylf (www.nylf.org) this summer so i'll be living on the georgetown campus for about 6 weeks. plenty of time to find the gym 🙂 would i be right in saying if i was to stand on that terrace-type thing "behind" the med school building (on the side of the building that isnt facing reservoir road), and was to look off into the distance, you see the football field, etc, the undergrad buildings, and that's the direction the gym is in?

Exactly! I'm going to check out the link you provided above - I'm not familiar with the nylf!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh the nylf is brilliant. i attended when i was a junior in high school (the boston program)...i'm going to be a "faculty advisor" this summer. there's 3 nine-day sessions, and i'll have a different group of high school kids for each one. you live on the georgetown campus, go to different lectures, programs, etc. when i did it we had a tour of harvard med, a session on what the admissions process is like, i visited a DO school (new england som? i think), observed surgery, had a small group session with an AIDS patient, did research projects on public health, did poster sessions and did debates...plus all the requisite social activities like ordering pizza at midnight, going to the beach, etc. it was wonderful and i cant wait to go back! plus, getting to live on the georgetown campus for the summer, start finding my way around the med school...all quite beneficial 🙂
 
oh the nylf is brilliant. i attended when i was a junior in high school (the boston program)...i'm going to be a "faculty advisor" this summer. there's 3 nine-day sessions, and i'll have a different group of high school kids for each one. you live on the georgetown campus, go to different lectures, programs, etc. when i did it we had a tour of harvard med, a session on what the admissions process is like, i visited a DO school (new england som? i think), observed surgery, had a small group session with an AIDS patient, did research projects on public health, did poster sessions and did debates...plus all the requisite social activities like ordering pizza at midnight, going to the beach, etc. it was wonderful and i cant wait to go back! plus, getting to live on the georgetown campus for the summer, start finding my way around the med school...all quite beneficial 🙂

Sounds like a great program! I think it's neat that you're going to be participating in that as an individual who just completed the rigorous process of getting into medical school. I'm sure you will have lots of questions to answer about all of that!
 
...and more fun than going back to the lab to spend the summer looking at guinea pigs and doing research :laugh:

my biggest goal for the summer is to be able to find my way to the lecture halls by the time orientation rolls around. so look for me on aug 7 - i'll be the one saying "oh, i know where it is, i worked here this summer..." :laugh:
 
...and more fun than going back to the lab to spend the summer looking at guinea pigs and doing research :laugh:

my biggest goal for the summer is to be able to find my way to the lecture halls by the time orientation rolls around. so look for me on aug 7 - i'll be the one saying "oh, i know where it is, i worked here this summer..." :laugh:

:laugh: During my two day visit there, I made it a point to be able to find my way around there. However, it will have been quite some time since that visit by the time August rolls around - I may need to turn to you for directions by then!
 
i think i've been there 3 times now...and i still must look like i've got "LOST PREMED" written on my forehead in sharpie everytime i try to find anything. that and my obvious glee at buying 'georgetown medicine' clothing in the bookstore with my mother.
 
i think i've been there 3 times now...and i still must look like i've got "LOST PREMED" written on my forehead in sharpie everytime i try to find anything. that and my obvious glee at buying 'georgetown medicine' clothing in the bookstore with my mother.

That's funny! I have had to resist the urge to do the same. I am still trying to decide between a few schools. Georgetown is definitely up there, but I won't let myself buy the clothing until I have made up my mind - I have wanted to cloth myself in Georgetown Med garments though!
 
hehe. my parents have developed this phobia about not wanting to buy sweatshirts until i've withdrawn officially from my other acceptances. like it might jinx something. so we've settled for a family set of georgetown tshirts. but everyone's getting sweatshirts for xmas 😉

i saw you were accepted to harvard! congrats! i got to visit there when i did the nylf thing...campus is beautiful! 🙂
 
you kids are hilarious 🙂
and i will repeat again until it sinks in: you need to do ONE really important things this summer... NOTHING! relax, scrap the reading list...i think they suggest looking at biochem topics too... LOL...completely unnecessary. please just enjoy one of the last summers you will ever have.
 
you kids are hilarious 🙂
and i will repeat again until it sinks in: you need to do ONE really important things this summer... NOTHING! relax, scrap the reading list...i think they suggest looking at biochem topics too... LOL...completely unnecessary. please just enjoy one of the last summers you will ever have.

if there's one thing i dont plan on doing this summer....homework would be it 🙂 consider the advice taken! :laugh:
 
hehe. my parents have developed this phobia about not wanting to buy sweatshirts until i've withdrawn officially from my other acceptances. like it might jinx something. so we've settled for a family set of georgetown tshirts. but everyone's getting sweatshirts for xmas 😉

i saw you were accepted to harvard! congrats! i got to visit there when i did the nylf thing...campus is beautiful! 🙂

Thanks! Believe it or not, HMS is no longer one of the schools I am considering. I am limiting my choices to schools located in the DC area, since my wife will be working in Bethesda, MD. I am predicting that my final decision will be made by the end of April.

I take it you are 100% certain that you are going to be at G-Town next year?

BTW, you can bet I'll be tuned in for the Final Four matchup tonight at 6:00 pm. I love college basketball - could the undergrad team at G-Town be enough to tip the scales in its favor? Possibly! There are many things I love about all of the schools I am considering.
 
Thanks! Believe it or not, HMS is no longer one of the schools I am considering. I am limiting my choices to schools located in the DC area, since my wife will be working in Bethesda, MD. I am predicting that my final decision will be made by the end of April.

I take it you are 100% certain that you are going to be at G-Town next year?

BTW, you can bet I'll be tuned in for the Final Four matchup tonight at 6:00 pm. I love college basketball - could the undergrad team at G-Town be enough to tip the scales in its favor? Possibly! There are many things I love about all of the schools I am considering.


the only thing that would keep me from georgetown at this point would be if it suddenly burned down, or something happened that made me have to stay in NJ.

personally, i hate basketball, but coming from a tiny liberal arts college that no one's ever heard of with D3 athletics has made me unusually enthusiastic about march madness this year, now that i have a school to support. i mean, wow, some people's schools have sports that get on tv...who knew? :laugh: i'll be watching too 😀 go hoyas!
 
What a disappointing loss last night! Maybe next year will be the championship year...wouldn't that be fun?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my dissapointment was relieved somewhat by the totally unexpected weekend i had - i officially have an apartment in washington now 😀
 
That's a really non-specific question; I should ask a better one.

Does anyone know good places to live in the city, which are also affordable, if one has a car? I don't think I want a commute greater than 20 minutes.
 
There are lots of great places to live in DC, however I cannot give advice on living in Virginia, as I know nothing of that state. Your options:

Foxhall village: quaint, quiet, peaceful...kind of has this Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood feel. I live there now and personally I hate it. But, I grew up in a thriving urban community, so this was to be expected. But if you want to live in a cute, Georgian style home with other first and second year med students, this is best for you. It's three minutes to walk to school, prices can be high, but convenience is amazing! (specific: look on 44th street/reservoir road, surrey lane, canal road, mcarthur blvd)

Burleith: around 37th street and such, this area is a bit more urban, meaning that you are closer to Wisconsin Avenue which has shopping, food, Starbucks, etc. and you feel less like you are living in a completely residential environment. Prices are generally similar or cheaper than Foxhall from what I've seen. (look on 37th through 39th street and R through U street)

Dupont Circle: This is DC at its best. You will pay to live in these high rise apartment buildings, but if you like citylife then this is your location. Parking will be near impossible to find, but you can hop on the GUTS bus on 20th street/Massachusetts and be at school in roughly 15 minutes--I am seeing someone who lives in this area, the commute is doable. (connecticut avenue, P street, Massachusetts)

Columbia Heights/Adam's Morgan: Now we are getting farther from medical school civilization, this can be good or bad depending on your preferences. A few classmates I know well are fine with this kind of distance. The prices are cheaper than dupont, but still high. You are getting into an area that is the scene of nightlife, bars, restaurants and all that citylife has to offer. The commute requires a car I would think and/or city transportation--i.e. taking the redline metro to dupont station and catching the GUTS bus. This could take about an hour to achieve on weekdays. (14th and columbia avenue, logan circle)

happy hunting! hope this info. is helping all you newcomers.
GJH
 
apartment hunting was so painless i was stunned. i found the place on craigslist. it's a basement studio in foxhall, private driveway parking in the back, washer/dryer included. landlord is awesome. i cant wait to move in! the neighborhood is so pretty and the park must be great in the spring/summer 🙂
 
lucky! im looking on craigslist now for some places. There are a couple of places in Glover Park that are reasonably priced that I might check out in a couple of weeks when I go back up. Does anyone know how the Glover Park area is?
 
My hunt just became more serious as I have now decided that I will be joining the class with certainty. See you all in August.
 
good luck to everyone who's looking at housing stuff 🙂


a question for any current students who may be reading...what is the situation w/ lectures being recorded/taped/scribed? what is available and how do you access them? i know they mentioned this on the tour and i cant remember what they said. and how do you get involved in the scribe service if you were interested in being one of the people who scribes the notes? i'm kind of anal with the notes i take, so i figure i might as well put myself to good use! :laugh:
 
it is WAY too early for you to be thinking about this, but you remain a neurotic-anal premed until you matriculate, so for this I cut you a certain amount of slack...answer:

we have a note taking service available to all students (the cost is tacked onto your student bill at the end of the year) and you have the choice of which courses you will receive notes for. not every course has the service, but most do. the notes are corrected, they are very helpful when you don't attend class. however, they are not essential to doing well, just another resource.

we audio record via mp3 EVERY single lecture, which is then available any time via a website the med school uses. just think, when you got ****-faced on a three day weekend after the anatomy final and couldnt wake up for 9am lecture that monday, you could sleep in and listen to the audio later on your Ipod while on the tredmill burning off the boos. gotta love med school 🙂

at the beginning of the year, you will be asked to attend a meeting if you are interested in taking notes. you will then be assigned times to do so. once you type the note-set you will submit a draft to the professor who lectured, who will almost always correct them. the corrected notes are then distributed. (for those who don't want to write them, you can be a copier and distributor too!) there is payment involved for all of these services. notes generally end up in your mailbox 3 days post-lecture.

A word to the wise: there are and will continue to be mistakes in notesets, even those corrected--this is because NO ONE is perfect and such is life. so, use the notes with this in mind. dont worry, you will simply ask around and scribble in the corrected phrase/word or you will receive an email with the correction. the service on the whole is very reliable...

i should probably go study now...
GJH
 
haha. sorry for the anal-ness. merely wondering in terms of being able to have a job during medical school - doing something that actually would involve seeing the school material/working on it while i was working, would actually be a good thing...killing 2 birds with one stone.

i'm going to go back to my senioritis now and put this burst of anality behind me 😉
 
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hi- just found out today that I go into georgetown! yay 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those already at Georgetown...should I or should I not bring a car? It seems like a lot of apartments charge you monthly for a parking space....but I guess I can pay it if it is really beneficial to have a car handy. What do you guys think?
 
For those of your future Hoyas who don't know yet:

Link for the Accepted Students is up: http://www3.georgetown.edu/som/admissions/admitdocs.html

Link for Housing Search/Roomate Search: http://och.georgetown.edu/


2007 (Tentative Schedule)

August 7, Tuesday
 Orientation and Registration (mandatory), 8:30am, LA-6
 Tuition payment due

August 8 - 12, Wednesday-Sunday
 Orientation continues

August 13, Monday
 Classes begin
 
For those already at Georgetown...should I or should I not bring a car? It seems like a lot of apartments charge you monthly for a parking space....but I guess I can pay it if it is really beneficial to have a car handy. What do you guys think?

It depends on where you are going to live. I live far away and split a car with my girlfriend. I would say the class is split about 50/50 wrt cars. Its not a necessity, but it is a convenience, especially because GTown isn't on a metro line. I can get anywhere in suburban MD, VA or DC without a car, by utilizing the buses and metro (its not hard) but it does take more time and a little work.

I think most places charge ~100 bucks/month for parking spaces. Also, there isn't parking for first years around campus, so you will have to walk to class or park a ways away anyhow.
 
I live in DC next to school (about a 3 min. walk) and my car resides in the driveway of my house (which is an additional fee to my rent). If you rent a space in foxhall, mcarthur, 38th area...which is by school, you are going to pay about 125-150 / month unless you have a space at the house where you rent. as you move closer to the 'city' the rent exponentially increases for vehicles.

I brought my car up mid-year and now I couldn't function without it. But vhawk is right, you don't need one...but it is a nice convenience. If the rent for the spot is going to be an issue, try to make do without the vehicle.
 
Georgetown didn't give me any scholarship or grant money but i'm still going to attend. Is there a chance that i'll be able to get more financial aid help next year?....or should I expect to be $250,000 in debt after 4 years?
 
The simplest response is as follows:

in-house (university) aid is awarded to those who are most financially in need from what i understand. you should consult dean pollock of course for any details. medical schools, in general, award much less in terms of scholarships/university aid.

just a thought: the value of the dollar should not limit your educational opportunities and keep you from the school of your choice.
 
i'm in the same boat as you Todd...did my applications for the full amount of financial aid this week. how $266,000 of debt doesnt qualify me as financially needy, i'll never understand, but there it is.

in 4 years, i'll be the Rachel Ray of ramen noodles. :laugh:
 
Oh man you guys are gonna get hazed so bad. I can't wait. You might as well all just show up with completely shaved heads.


??? Its not like i dont understand *why* they do the financial aid this way. just very overwhelmed with how in debt i'm going to be 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a dresscode at Georgetown? Do you have to wear slacks and a button-up to lecture? I hope not.

lol nooo way that would be really annoying. I guarantee you this is not the case. Not sure where you heard that.
 
WHAT?!?! absolutely not. there is no lecture dresscode. there is only a dresscode for working at GU hospital--which is button down-shirt, slacks, etc. and white coat.
 
Does Georgetown require a certain type of computer? I'm planning on buying a new laptop and I was curious if they require certain specs.
 
WHAT?!?! absolutely not. there is no lecture dresscode. there is only a dresscode for working at GU hospital--which is button down-shirt, slacks, etc. and white coat.

This is just my opinion, but:
Show some respect for your professors and colleagues and put on pants and a shirt that you do not wear to bed.