Georgetown Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there is no computer requirement that I am aware of. as for first year, there are no special programs or anything i can think of that were necessary. you should email the office of student affairs to be certain...

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my opinion, but:
Show some respect for your professors and colleagues and put on pants and a shirt that you do not wear to bed. This is not freshman year of college. People will do it anyway. Such is the gap in professionalism and maturity at all levels of education.

Ok.....because the first thing I thought of when listening to Dr. Mulroney talk about shrinkage at the SMIG meeting was "Wow, I would be showing great disrespect to this person by wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants to lecture. She would really be offended!"

Plenty of opportunities to act professional throughout first year, 9 am lecture dress code seems like a pretty silly one to me.

Ok.....because the first thing I thought of when listening to Dr. Mulroney talk about shrinkage at the SMIG meeting was "Wow, I would be showing great disrespect to this person by wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants to lecture. She would really be offended!"

Plenty of opportunities to act professional throughout first year, 9 am lecture dress code seems like a pretty silly one to me.

Touché. Nevertheless, a little cleanup wouldn't hurt. There's no policy against wearing pajamas on your tour of the White House, either. May as well shoot for consistency, eh? And by dress code you take my argument to an extreme. I am not suggesting "dress." I am suggesting not what you could potentially wear to bed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Touché. Nevertheless, a little cleanup wouldn't hurt. There's no policy against wearing pajamas on your tour of the White House, either. May as well shoot for consistency, eh? And by dress code you take my argument to an extreme. I am not suggesting "dress." I am suggesting not what you could potentially wear to bed.

I sleep naked though. :D

If any current students still happen to be checking this--what are your thoughts about living in Arlington, at the Courthouse metro stop? My sister has an appartment there that I could share with her, paying $1100 a month, but I feel like I would be disconected from campus...especially because I don't think I'd be able to afford a car. I'm thinking I might be better off just trying to find a place closer to campus, and not having to deal with the bus/metro commute. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

If any current students still happen to be checking this--what are your thoughts about living in Arlington, at the Courthouse metro stop? My sister has an appartment there that I could share with her, paying $1100 a month, but I feel like I would be disconected from campus...especially because I don't think I'd be able to afford a car. I'm thinking I might be better off just trying to find a place closer to campus, and not having to deal with the bus/metro commute. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

I live farther away than that, its definitely doable. Several of us live in that area or farther away. The nice part is, its close to the metro, so you can either take the Arlington loop bus or take the orange line to Rosslyn and take the guts bus. From where you are, its probably about 25 min to campus, depending on how you hit the busses and stuff. And 1100 is pretty decent for rent too. The Courthouse area is a really cool area, IMO, right up there with Gtown. Whitlows is a really cool bar, and there are many others within a few blocks. You may or may not feel disconnected, I can't tell you much about that, I don't feel that way, but I don't go to every class or make it to campus every day. I enjoy living in Arlington, though.

do you live by yourself vhawk? $1100 isn't too bad for a 1 Bedroom by yourself in DC. I'm living in westwood (next to UCLA) and my rent is $1100 a month for my own room in a 2 bedroom. I'm hoping my rent won't be worse next year at Gtown. However, I do want to live with other students (at least one other) but keep my own room. My student host lived in one of those town houses next to campus with 3 other students, each had their own room and paid $800. I'm looking for a deal like that cause I want to be walking distance from campus. Anyone else interested? Thoughts, comments?

I know this was posted a while ago but it's definitely possible to pay a reasonable amount in burleith which is basically the area right next to the gumed area. I live 5 blocks away from the hospital and pay $725

Anyone know if we need to have a CPR certification before school starts? I didn't read anything about that, but I thought I'd make sure.

Along those same lines, there's nothing else to turn in besides the deposits, the immunization form, and the financial aid app, right?

Look forward to meeting everyone soon! (in less than two months...omg)

Anyone know if we need to have a CPR certification before school starts? I didn't read anything about that, but I thought I'd make sure.

Along those same lines, there's nothing else to turn in besides the deposits, the immunization form, and the financial aid app, right?

I'm not sure about the CPR thing.. highly doubtful though, I've never heard anything about that.

In addition the deposits, FA forms, and immunization stuff, make sure you've sent all of your transcripts to the admissions office. Also, order your white coat.. its on the accepted applicants website. See you in august.

No CPR certification required. You don't need it for the entire first year. We do it all as a group at the beginning of second year, I think.

I know some med schools are requiring students to have tablet laptops. Does G-Town care? Do any students use these, or is the old school pencil and notebook method of note-taking still acceptable?

I know some med schools are requiring students to have tablet laptops. Does G-Town care? Do any students use these, or is the old school pencil and notebook method of note-taking still acceptable?

I don't have one and they aren't required. I also don't ever take notes. There are several people in class that have them, and they seem really great, and incredibly useful. Not useful enough for me to buy one, though, but I'm cheap.

Anyone looking for a roomate still? I just was just accepted into the Georgetown special masters program (so I would be taking many classes with the 1st year medical students). PM me if so. Thanks :)

Anyone planning on attending the Beach Bar-b-que the day before orientation? It says to send in the money by the 15th...but hopefully they'll take a slightly late payment.

I'm not going to be there. I'm going to have as much down time as I can before school starts, and since I leave my job July 31st I won't have much as it is. I hope you all have a great time though.

I have a question about how to get to Georgetown. I went today to visit the campus coming from Fairfax, where I just moved to.

The Georgetown website tells me to get off at the Rosalyn stop, which I did, but it was like a 20 minute walk to the medical campus. I saw the Georgetown shuttle buses, but I don't have my ID card yet.

My question is why can't I just get off at the Foggy Bottom stop? From the map it looks a lot closer to Georgetown than the Rosalyn stop. Is it because there are no GUTS shuttle buses there?

Would it be faster to get off at the Foggy Bottom stop and walk or to get off at the Rosalyn stop and take the GUTS shuttle bus?

Thanks.

They rarely rarely ID. Even without an ID you can ride - you just sign something.

I'd guess the two stops - Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom - are both about twenty minutes from Gtown walking.

I have a question about how to get to Georgetown. I went today to visit the campus coming from Fairfax, where I just moved to.

The Georgetown website tells me to get off at the Rosalyn stop, which I did, but it was like a 20 minute walk to the medical campus. I saw the Georgetown shuttle buses, but I don't have my ID card yet.

My question is why can't I just get off at the Foggy Bottom stop? From the map it looks a lot closer to Georgetown than the Rosalyn stop. Is it because there are no GUTS shuttle buses there?

Would it be faster to get off at the Foggy Bottom stop and walk or to get off at the Rosalyn stop and take the GUTS shuttle bus?

Thanks.

There is no GUTS bus to Foggy Bottom. There is one that runs from Rosslyn, Dupont and from up Wisconsin. Thats why its best to go to Rosslyn. Its a long walk from Foggy Bottom, even if it isn't as far as from Rosslyn.

They don't ID on the Rosslyn GUTS bus, and even if they do, you can write your name down and ride anyway. Just do that. The GUTs picks up down the block from Rosslyn metro, leave the station and go left, cross the intersection and its right there.