Georgetown Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazy4F1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...I think I've all but decided to go to Georgetown next year. Any of my future classmates out there? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the competitive applicant waitlist but I just sent a letter so I hope to hear something in the coming months.. Hopefully I'll be your classmate next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys,

welcome to georgetown! i am a current first year, you're gonna love it here. enjoy your time until the start of first year... it is quite a ride...

Bumping the thread - I just received an offer of admission!!!

Does anyone plan on visiting the school again in the near future? I live about 3 hours away, so I am going to spend another day at the school to get a better feel for the environment. I had a great interview day experience, but I felt like I could use some more time walking around the campus and the hospital.

Good luck everyone!

hey everybody! does anyone know when Gtown will start accepting people off the competitive applicant pool??

hey everybody! does anyone know when Gtown will start accepting people off the competitive applicant pool??

I wish I could give you a solid answer, but I cannot find that information anywhere.

I can only speculate that since the interview season concludes in March, they will begin accepting people from the competitive applicant pool in that timeframe.

I saw that you had sent a letter to the school - I am sure that will serve you well, as it is important to demonstrate that you are truly interested in Georgetown.

I will be pulling for you! If I learn something new about the competitive applicant pool, I will be sure to share it with you.

Best of luck!

hey :) congrats!

i just drove down this past week to visit the area and the school again, and to get some more info. everyone was very nice and very helpful :) i think my decision is pretty much made!

i have a question for any current g'town students that may be reading....where do you live right now, and would you recommend it? what areas to live in would you recommend?

Congrats on getting in, for those of you who are in, and good luck for those of you on waitlists. I'm a current first-year as well. If anyone has any questions about the school I would be happy to help.

If any of the current Georgetown students are checking this today, I am actually spending the day on campus! I just attended the MSI Physio lecture. As you can see, I'm on one of the computers by the Integrated Learning Center now. If anyone is interested in getting together to talk about the school, please let me know. I'll be here until the early afternoon.

Posting to drop my name into the Georgetown C/O 2011 pot!

If any of the current Georgetown students are checking this today, I am actually spending the day on campus! I just attended the MSI Physio lecture. As you can see, I'm on one of the computers by the Integrated Learning Center now. If anyone is interested in getting together to talk about the school, please let me know. I'll be here until the early afternoon.

Sorry I missed you, I would have been happy to talk about the school with you.

Sorry I missed you, I would have been happy to talk about the school with you.

That's okay! I should have advertised the fact that I was going to be visiting sooner. I actually ended up spending an extra day there, b/c some of the admissions staff were able to set up a meeting with the Chairman of the Orthopedic Surgery Department - that was a very informative meeting!

Since I have seen this come up in other forums, how do you feel about the grading system at Georgetown? Not much was said about it during my visit.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's okay! I should have advertised the fact that I was going to be visiting sooner. I actually ended up spending an extra day there, b/c some of the admissions staff were able to set up a meeting with the Chairman of the Orthopedic Surgery Department - that was a very informative meeting!

Since I have seen this come up in other forums, how do you feel about the grading system at Georgetown? Not much was said about it during my visit.

Thanks!

Well, we don't officially have 'grades', but instead we do Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass (bottom 10% of passing) and Fail (>2 SD below mean), which is essentially just like saying A, B, C, D and F. This is for the majority of our classes, although a few do not have a curve, in which case they have their own cutoffs for Honors, etc. We have our share of gunners, but they are the passive type...they just study every Friday and Saturday and try to honor everything, they don't try and sabotage the rest of us or anything dramatic. I love my class, we get along really well and work together.

Hey, I have two quick questions for the 1st and 2nd years out there:

How do you like the scheduling of classes? In other words, do you find it difficult to not have block scheduling? I really loved Georgetown when I saw it on my interview day but I'm a much better learner in the block system.

Also, where do you generally live? The Georgetown area seems REALLY expensive, so is that just something where you have to suck it up or are there other less pricey neighborhoods with easy access to the campus?

Greetings everyone.. I'm stoked to say I just got my acceptance to Georgetown off the competitive applicant pool!!!! I've been dreaming of this day for sooo long!! I'm only waiting on one other school post interview that can compete with Gtown so I'll most likely be joining y'all this August. Looking forward to meet all of you.

Greetings everyone.. I'm stoked to say I just got my acceptance to Georgetown off the competitive applicant pool!!!! I've been dreaming of this day for sooo long!! I'm only waiting on one other school post interview that can compete with Gtown so I'll most likely be joining y'all this August. Looking forward to meet all of you.

CONGRATS!!! That answers the questions regarding movement from the CAP!

congrats! I cant wait to meet all of you in August!

for any current students who may be reading - where do you all live, and how did you find your housing? i'm not sure i can face shelling out 1600 a month to live in an apt complex on wisconsin ave! :laugh:

Congrats to everyone. I'm accepted at Georgetown, but I'm still waiting to hear from another school. Just wondering where you guys are from, what you like/love about georgetown, why you are excited to go there, what you thought of interview day (and the fact that they don't have a second look!), etc.

Hi! Yes, I'm trying to decide between Gtown and a NJ state school. I'm nervous about taking on so much debt when I could go to a state school. Do you know how they match for residencies? And what about an MPH? Is there any way to pursue that while at GTown?

congrats! I cant wait to meet all of you in August!

for any current students who may be reading - where do you all live, and how did you find your housing? i'm not sure i can face shelling out 1600 a month to live in an apt complex on wisconsin ave! :laugh:

Are you going to be bringing a car? Its a little less convenient, but I pay 1100/month to live in Arlington, and its a pretty nice place. You can do cheaper. Search in the south Arlington area, outside of Clarendon and Rosslyn, or even further from DC. Its a little bit of a commute, which has its downsides (I ride the bus, the metro, then another bus, and my morning commute is ~40 minutes) but it was worth 5-600 bucks a month to me.

Are you going to be bringing a car? Its a little less convenient, but I pay 1100/month to live in Arlington, and its a pretty nice place. You can do cheaper. Search in the south Arlington area, outside of Clarendon and Rosslyn, or even further from DC. Its a little bit of a commute, which has its downsides (I ride the bus, the metro, then another bus, and my morning commute is ~40 minutes) but it was worth 5-600 bucks a month to me.

do you live by yourself vhawk? $1100 isn't too bad for a 1 Bedroom by yourself in DC. I'm living in westwood (next to UCLA) and my rent is $1100 a month for my own room in a 2 bedroom. I'm hoping my rent won't be worse next year at Gtown. However, I do want to live with other students (at least one other) but keep my own room. My student host lived in one of those town houses next to campus with 3 other students, each had their own room and paid $800. I'm looking for a deal like that cause I want to be walking distance from campus. Anyone else interested? Thoughts, comments?

just a note to everyone, if you have facebook join the Georgetown Class of 2011 Facebook group! Theres only two of us in the group so far but it should pick up as we get closer to summer.

http://ucla.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2242121835&ref=mf

not sure if that link will work but try typing "Georgetown Medicine" into the facebook search bar and you should find it.

To those who have been accepted off the CAP, did you write a long letter (or persuasive as I saw it posted elsewhere) saying why you wanted to go to Georgetown? A short follow-up? Was anyone accepted off the CAP without writing a further letter to them?

do you live by yourself vhawk? $1100 isn't too bad for a 1 Bedroom by yourself in DC. I'm living in westwood (next to UCLA) and my rent is $1100 a month for my own room in a 2 bedroom. I'm hoping my rent won't be worse next year at Gtown. However, I do want to live with other students (at least one other) but keep my own room. My student host lived in one of those town houses next to campus with 3 other students, each had their own room and paid $800. I'm looking for a deal like that cause I want to be walking distance from campus. Anyone else interested? Thoughts, comments?

I live with my girlfriend, we share a 1 bedroom, but its not in DC, its in Arlington, near Pentagon. Its pretty nice, but like I said, its a commute.

You might be able to do a 1 bedroom in DC for 1100, but its not going to be very nice, and probably a studio or efficiency thats really small.

hi everyone :)

thanks for the info about housing - i have more questions!

i will be bringing a car, but i'm hoping not to have to use it very often/at all, to save on paying 674998 a year in public parking costs in and around georgetown. Ideally i'd like to be within walking distance of the campus, altho I'm game for living in Rosslyn too so long as the metro is within walking distance. I'd like to have a place to myself for the first year, until i meet some people i'd like to live with maybe for second year. But, even tho i want my own place, i dont want to live too far from other med students, so i'm not lonely. i'm willing to pay 1300-1400ish if i have to.

based on that, where should i be looking? :laugh: i've had a peek at some basement apartments in the area and they seem really hit or miss in terms of quality and whether or not theyre cheaper than managed buildings. what apt buildings in the area would you recommend, and how do i go about finding nicer basement places?

....longest post ever. thanks in advance for all the help!

I thought I'd bump this thread...just to provoke a little interest in the facebook group if there are some out there that don't know about it. The Class of 2010 seems to have a pretty popular group :thumbup:

I to am excited to find a place to live that is reasonably priced...though I know I am going to need a roomate with the craazzzzy prices out there. I am using a military website too look at housing...since I'll be coming to Georgetown via HPSP for the Air Force. Anyone else have some recommendations for sites to look up or locations?

To those who have been accepted off the CAP, did you write a long letter (or persuasive as I saw it posted elsewhere) saying why you wanted to go to Georgetown? A short follow-up? Was anyone accepted off the CAP without writing a further letter to them?

I wasn't accepted off the CAP...BUT I did write a semi-short letter expressing my desire to go to the school...and also stated it was my first choice.

I wasn't accepted off the CAP...BUT I did write a semi-short letter expressing my desire to go to the school...and also stated it was my first choice.

Do you think it's considered a "Letter of Intent" just because you said it was your first choice? I've received positive responses from other schools when I said that in the past (namely Columbia P&S). But I'm having a hard time figuring out if saying that is different than explicitly saying "If you grant me acceptance I will come there." What I want to write is a "Letter of Interest." Do you think that telling GUSOM they're my 1st choice will be binding?

Sorry for all the questions - and thanks for the input!!

Do you think it's considered a "Letter of Intent" just because you said it was your first choice? I've received positive responses from other schools when I said that in the past (namely Columbia P&S). But I'm having a hard time figuring out if saying that is different than explicitly saying "If you grant me acceptance I will come there." What I want to write is a "Letter of Interest." Do you think that telling GUSOM they're my 1st choice will be binding?

Sorry for all the questions - and thanks for the input!!

Its not going to be binding.

Hi Guys!

As I posted earlier I am a current first year as well. I love it here and I completely agree with my classmate that Georgetown does an AMAZING job of picking a great group of people, you will love your class. I enjoy sharing the stressful, exciting, and post-exam power hours with my class. (on that note, we study hard and party hard). I will be coordinating your orientation this coming year and am looking forward to meeting you all. Enjoy your summer and relax...don't do the biochem recommeded work LOL

Secondly, housing! Most of us live in Foxhall village and Burleith, which are two small areas with family homes right near school (about two minute walks). USE the housing listserve in the acceptance packet and put your email on that listserve. talk to the admissions office if this is not familiar. Also, USE craig's list. Us current med students are already posting listings for next year. I live in foxhall village with three other first years and we all pay on average 900/month for all rent/utilities/parking. Look early, housing goes fast.

Also, like the other student indicated, we have our share of "intense" people; actually some would throw me in this category, but nonetheless, he is right, they don't sabotage or create issues for the class--everyone has their own style and way of handling the material.

If you have questions, I'll be checking periodically. Later!

Hello to potential classmates in the fall. It's been a while since I interviewed and I'm trying to remember what the class time break down looks like. When the day start? End? How much lecture versus group? Etc. Thanks.

Hello to potential classmates in the fall. It's been a while since I interviewed and I'm trying to remember what the class time break down looks like. When the day start? End? How much lecture versus group? Etc. Thanks.

Check out this link:

https://calendar.georgetown.edu/ocas-bin/ocas.fcgi?sub=web&web=gbl&view=month&date=2007/3/21&viw=%9a%9d%9d%e8%eb%ed%ed&server=&xen=%ef%ea%ef%f5%e8%ec%e9%ed

You can scroll through the MSI calendar, and see what their schedule looks like on a daily basis. If you go the School of Medicine website, you can also find the same thing for the MSII year.

Hope this helps!

You couldn't have given me anything better. Thanks so much.

In response to the calendar/schedule:

I want you all newbies to know that the dean's office does their best to accommodate scheduling and allow you adequate time to endure/study the course material. I don't want you to panic too much when looking at the schedule, while it may seem quite overwhelming...it is! you are entering a course of study that no one can be "prepared" for without time for adjustment. So don't be scared. Also, if an exam gets scheduled or a lecture that is too conflicting, the class contacts the class president who is able, most of the time, to get the dean's office to alter the timing. It has happened a few times this year already.

Any further questions, ask away :)

Any movement off the CAP recently? Current G'town students I've heard a fair amount of people are accepted off the waitlist- is this your experience and when do more people start to get accepted?

Likely there are a substantial number of people in the class that were accepted from the competitive applicant pool, although I cannot even begin to give you a fair estimate. You could contact Donna Sullivan in the admissions office to get a quantification of those individuals from previous years. However, I know that it does say in the interview booklet that writing a letter of intent (which is NOT binding, but simply states your sincere interest in the program at georgetown med) is essential to being moved from this pool. A few of my first year classmates mentioned at the beginning of the year that they had composed such a letter...so if you have not, do so. Hope this helps and best of luck...

I'm a late comer to research and didn't apply to the MD/PhD program the first time around. Is it possible to apply internally to the program? What does that entail?

Likely there are a substantial number of people in the class that were accepted from the competitive applicant pool, although I cannot even begin to give you a fair estimate. You could contact Donna Sullivan in the admissions office to get a quantification of those individuals from previous years. However, I know that it does say in the interview booklet that writing a letter of intent (which is NOT binding, but simply states your sincere interest in the program at georgetown med) is essential to being moved from this pool. A few of my first year classmates mentioned at the beginning of the year that they had composed such a letter...so if you have not, do so. Hope this helps and best of luck...

Who are you?

I don't know that much about MD/PhD at our school, except for a few guys who are doing it. It is certainly possible to tack on the PhD part via some form of application later in the med school route. I would get on that when you get here. Probably requires a GRE or something and talking to the right people...but I am not certain. I personally have considered squeezing a 5th year between 2-3rd years to do a masters in clinical research, so I know that adding degrees is possible. Lastly, just see how first year pans out before you jump and add on the PhD, MS, etc. One step at a time...

GJH

Anyone know when accepted students will get more info and/or financial aid information? I havn't heard anything since I sent my acceptance deposit in January. Not a big deal, I'm just a bit amped to move on with the process.....and see if I'll be getting any financial help outside of loans. Good Lord.

Also, current students...what percentage of your class was in a serious relationship upon entering year 1? Does having a girlfriend/fiancee/wife outside of the med school class tend to put a damper on the social scene....or should I play it safe and plan on having sex with everyone?

In response to the questions...

1) Don't worry about financial aid at all! When the acceptance packet is posted online (soon), you will be prompted to send all kinds of info and fill out paperwork. You will fill out a few (3) short financial aid forms and return them to Dean Pollock. Complete your FAFSA as well. It's a simple process and you will be fine. I applied for aid very late and had no troubles.

2) I would guess that our class status is something like: 60% single, 30% seriously engaged, long-term relationships, and the rest are in marriage/children situations. All levels of status are certainly "doable" and it is certainly NOT necessary to end a relationship when beginning med school (as long as the significant other understands your committments). So don't worry about this. Although dating classmates is fine, keep the following in mind: you will eat, sleep, breath, and essentially live with these people for 4 years...don't do things you don't want ALL of your gossipy classmates to know :) but certainly have fun... You will not be "out of the social loop" if you are in a serious relationship. However, those of us who are single tend to prefer mojito specials at Cafe Citron in Dupont Circle on Saturday nights more so than the quaint couple that stays at home. But I've even seen some married individuals in our class make their way to social events. If you want to be a homebody that works, if you need serious social stimulation like myself, that can be provided :)

-hope this helps,

GJH

Nice response. I plan on keeping my girlfriend, but just to be safe--as an icebreaker--I suppose I will have sex with everyone anyway.

Just kidding. Although, I did make it to 2nd base last week. I'm on a roll.

In response to the questions...

1) Don't worry about financial aid at all! When the acceptance packet is posted online (soon), you will be prompted to send all kinds of info and fill out paperwork. You will fill out a few (3) short financial aid forms and return them to Dean Pollock. Complete your FAFSA as well. It's a simple process and you will be fine. I applied for aid very late and had no troubles.

2) I would guess that our class status is something like: 60% single, 30% seriously engaged, long-term relationships, and the rest are in marriage/children situations. All levels of status are certainly "doable" and it is certainly NOT necessary to end a relationship when beginning med school (as long as the significant other understands your committments). So don't worry about this. Although dating classmates is fine, keep the following in mind: you will eat, sleep, breath, and essentially live with these people for 4 years...don't do things you don't want ALL of your gossipy classmates to know :) but certainly have fun... You will not be "out of the social loop" if you are in a serious relationship. However, those of us who are single tend to prefer mojito specials at Cafe Citron in Dupont Circle on Saturday nights more so than the quaint couple that stays at home. But I've even seen some married individuals in our class make their way to social events. If you want to be a homebody that works, if you need serious social stimulation like myself, that can be provided :)

-hope this helps,

GJH

Oh, now I know who you are.

How's the gym/weight room? I didn't hear good things.

How's the gym/weight room? I didn't hear good things.

I checked it out during my two day visit to the school after I found out I had been accepted. It's nothing to write home about, but it has everything you need to get the job done. I do like the fact that the pool is located in the same facility.

thanks for the link :) when i saw "senior mentor program" it made me think we were getting 4th year mentors....oops.

...and the suggested reading list? am i glad i kept my kaplan books or what...:(

is the gym on the med school campus or the undergrad campus?