Georgetown Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maoeris

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard from Georgetown post interview recently?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard nothing. just getting anxious waiting. This month is stressful. at least spring break is next week for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/21 and called the admissions office today. Apparently, decisions are going out at the beginning of next week. Good luck!

Georgetown tends to put everybody in the highly acceptable waitlist and then whoever sends in a LOI they accept almost a week or 3 later. If you are really interested in getting an acceptance from them, I would highly recommend telling them how many body parts you would give up to go there.

i interviewed at Georgetown on feb. 13th and they told me that the people who interviewed the same day as me wouldn't have our applications reviewed until the first week and april and that we could expect to hear back from them about a week after that (2nd or 3rd week in April) sort of ridiculous I think...

Interviewed Dec. 16. Rejected yesterday.

I interviewed Jan 29th and just got in.

Heard from Dean Wall on Sunday and the paperwork came on Monday.

I interviewed on Jan 21st and got a call from my interviewer yesterday.

interviewed 11/4/03 . . . wait-listed in Jan . . . Feb decided to tell them to piss off if I ever get off the waiting list (I have very little patience for a school that takes over 2 months to tell me I'm on the waiting list). Sad thing is I really like the school when I interviewed!

are all acceptances made by phone call?
i interviewed 1/16 and haven't heard anything... prospects don't look good?

I am pretty sure I will be going to Georgetown next year. It is very close to my home and I grew up right outside of DC.
If you get waitlisted, write a letter expressing why you want to go there and what makes you a good fit for the school. Writing another letter doesn't sound like much fun but I think it is important for any school you end up on the waitlist for. And if you are still waiting for a decision, I would even just send them a thoughtful letter now. That way, they can get it before any big decisions come out. I was waitlisted at two schools and then wrote letters to those schools and heard back within two weeks that I was then accepted. At another school, I was waitlisted but didn't keep in contact and didn't write a letter and I was later rejected. So if you are on the waitlist for Georgetown or any other school, write a thoughtful letter expressing your continued interest in the school. I think for schools that interview so many people, they just don't know who really will come and who won't.

My take on this whole process, though, is that schools should only interview people if they are going to waitlist or accept them. Otherwise, it really is just a waste of the applicants' time, when the applicant could use the time and resources on schools that they do have shot at. I figure these admissions people already know who they want to waitlist or accept, just by reviewing their applications etc. The interview, it seems, is just to confirm their impression of the candidate.

I was really pissed off that I spend money and took time off from school to go to an interview at school that was far away and then they wait five months just to send a rejection letter. They really shouldn't string the process out. And they should even interview unless they will accept or waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: a lot of people have said that if you write a letter of intent you will probably get in. been there, done that (sent it to Georgetown less than a week after I was wait-listed). since then they have been as silent as the grave, and I expect it to stay that way!

why would you write a letter of intent to georgetown if you are in at jefferson?

Georgetown has been my dream school for a long time . . . I loved it when I interviewed and when I wrote the letter Georgetown was still my first choice. I told them I would give up my acceptance at Jefferson if they let me in, which probably isn't true anymore. Just out of curiousity which school would you have chosen? (I've gotten a lot of negative vibes from people applying about Jeff, but all the physicians i've talked to love it, so I'm a little confused)

I only interviewed with G-town, but everything I have heard about Jefferson says its a better choice.

I have mixed feeings about G-town, I was very impressed when I was there (with my interviewer and the admissions staff) and I loved DC but there really wasn't anything super impressive about the school besides the name and location.

just curious, has anyone on this list gotten an acceptance at g-town not via phone?

I was accepted by letter. I am going to Georgetown for family, logistical reasons and because I liked the school.

About these letters: when you write them, make sure you say something like, "After completing all of my medical school interviews, this school is my top choice and that it is a perfect fit for me."

Noting that you have completed the interview process in the letter is a crucial thing to say because it lets the admissions people know that you have looked at all the schools you are interested in and after doing that, this particular school is still your top choice. Not just Georgetown but a lot of schools are get hundreds of letters from waitlisted applicants and unfortunately, they can't immediately outright accept everyone because then they wouldn't have enough room in their class. So they have to go through letters.
Gee now I'm almost saying that you have to put in key words just to get the attention of admissions people. But really, take the time to figure out what is the core of this particular school and what especially makes it a perfect fit for you. And incorporate those elements into your letter. It took me at least a week and half to write these two letters. It involved a lot of thought. But it paid off. After sending out these two letters, I was accepted at two schools within two weeks of writing them. I didn't even send any other transcripts or recommendations. I only sent the letter.

Also, don'tjust send a letter the day after you are waitlisted. Find out when the admissions committee plans to meet again and then send the letter off (again stating that you have completed the interview process and this school is your number one choice) before the committee meets again. Then check, verify that the school has even received the letters/transcripts.

This whole process is just big pain and it is unfortunate that applicants have to go through all of these hoops.

As far as LOI's go....should they be directed to the Dean? or the AdCom? Or your interviewer? I'm about to send one and it's my number one school....God I hope it works.
Good luck!

Also, do schools really pull off waitlists already? I thought they didn't start until after May

Has anyone got into Georgetown recently, I interviewed on 1/29, still heard nothing, I think it is my top choice also, although if I get off the waitlist at UVA it will be a tough decision since I am instate at virginia

I will be attending Georgetown next year. Any more classmates out there?

Highclass, I think its just you and me so far.
I love DC.
Anyone else coming to Georgetown?

As for LOI's that somebody asked about, I would write it to the Dean.

FYI: LOI's are suppose to go to the chair of the admissions committee.

just cause I thought it might be helpful for people trying to figure out the timeline/post interview turnover for Georgetown

I interviewed: 1/16
I got the rejection letter today: 3/20
It was dated: 3/15
and postmarked: 3/17

good look everyone

haha...I interview at Georgetown on Tuesday. Talk about late. If they send out decisions the week after my interview, I don't think they will even have time to review my application! :laugh: I kinda just want to see the place though; it was my top choice at one time. I applied so late I didn't even expect to get an interview, though.

Celtic,
Did you get a letter saying you were on the "waitlist" or the "competitive applicant" list?

Originally posted by celticmists18
Georgetown has been my dream school for a long time . . . I loved it when I interviewed and when I wrote the letter Georgetown was still my first choice. I told them I would give up my acceptance at Jefferson if they let me in, which probably isn't true anymore. Just out of curiousity which school would you have chosen? (I've gotten a lot of negative vibes from people applying about Jeff, but all the physicians i've talked to love it, so I'm a little confused)

It said competitive applicant pool. I called the doctor who I interviewed with (which he said to do if I didn't get in), I wrote an LOI and haven't heard from them in 2 months. As I said previously I would not take an acceptance from Georgetown if I was offered one now . . . I refuse to be a "sloppy second" when Jefferson clearly wanted me (I was interviewed on the first interview date), and has been so good about keeping in touch (1 phone call, 5 letters one of which was a hand written christmas card, and three emails). In retrospect I believe that my quasi-rejection has been a blessing in diguise. Good luck to everyone and I hope you end up in your top choice school (be it Georgetown or elsewhere)

just for the record:
i interviewed on 2/9/04
and received my acceptance letter :love: on 3/29/04
7 weeks.

accepted in December, withdrew 3/29/04

good luck to ppl. on the waitlist!

thanks thewebthsp, where ya headed??

Man, I want to go there so bad, why cant they let me in? My interviewer even slapped me on the back while telling his secretary "I think this guy is going to be here next year" Shouldn't that count for something?

hey st85, hang in there! i really do believe (unfortunately) that often the quality of interviews is inversely proportional to the likelihood that you'll get in. i was rejected by the school where i had my best interview and so far the only place i got in is gtown, where i felt my interview was mediocre at best. it doesn't make it any easier to bear, but know that you're not alone when you feel really used (and sometimes lied to) by the interviewers.

good luck!!! keep those LOIs rolling in to the admissions office, you'll get there!

I'm in at U of Chicago, Penn and Columbia, sorting things out. If there's a reasonable chance at a PhD in philosophy or ethics I might be at U of C (Gtown was my other MD/PhD school but philosophy dept said no).

Hi all,

I interviewed at Georgetown on Feb. 25 and received my acceptance letter today, March 30. I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to be next year, but most likely I'll be heading to Stony Brook. Good luck to everyone still waiting! I'm an undergrad at Georgetown, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

For people accepted to GT what where ur mcat and gpa?

Also anyone accepted into the med school from the GT SMP program?

Has their been any recent movement? Anybody in the competitive applicant pool please respond with date of notification. Thanks!

Isn't there a committee meeting tomorrow?
Can anyone confirm or deny?

I haven't heard squat from them and it has been three months since I was put into the "competitive applicant pool". . . competitive my a**!

ventulus18 said:
damn, so much for that "just send a letter in" crap
yup, that is a load of crape. My interviewer told me to call him if I didn't get in, which I did. He said to write a letter and he would "see what he could do", which obviously was NOTHING! don't believe that write a letter talk, its all a lie . . . oh well, at this point I have reached the state of its-Georgetown's-lose-and-Jefferson's-gain.

celticmists18 said:
yup, that is a load of crape. My interviewer told me to call him if I didn't get in, which I did. He said to write a letter and he would "see what he could do", which obviously was NOTHING! don't believe that write a letter talk, its all a lie . . . oh well, at this point I have reached the state of its-Georgetown's-lose-and-Jefferson's-gain.

No kidding, its been a month for me since I wrote the letter. I would still love to go to Gtown though.

So for those planning to attend Georgetown next year, what are you planning to do about housing??
Desirable DC housing is quite expensive. Any SDNers planning to share a place?

BenzBe said:
So for those planning to attend Georgetown next year, what are you planning to do about housing??
Desirable DC housing is quite expensive. Any SDNers planning to share a place?

Perhaps you should post this in the georgetown class thread . . .its kinda insensitive to put it here where people are talking about how much the want to go to georgetown and can't get in! (just my personal opinion, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way)

I'm a gtown first year...housing info will come out in the summer along witha list of folks looking for roommates. Georgeen does a great job getting everyone a place so don't worry, if you have any questions, email me at [email protected] and i'll try to answer them the best that i can even though i'll be busy this week with neuro exam coming up.