Georgetown Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedSE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Is anyone from Georgetown Med? I would like to know how come such a good name such as Georgetown is ranked relatively low as a medical school? I heard some issues concerning lack of funding for the medical school, but I'm not sure the validity of them.
Does anyone else know why the medical school is ranked towards the end of the top 50? Or anything else negative about the school?

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All-

Is anyone from Georgetown Med? I would like to know how come such a good name such as Georgetown is ranked relatively low as a medical school? I heard some issues concerning lack of funding for the medical school, but I'm not sure the validity of them.
Does anyone else know why the medical school is ranked towards the end of the top 50? Or anything else negative about the school?

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Don't place too much stock in the US News & WR rankings. They are useful on some levels, but if you take a hard look at the methodology AND the amount of participation involved in obtaining data, you will see exactly what I mean.

I am pre-med, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I don't think anyone out there will doubt the quality of the education you will have received, should you graduate from Georgetown.

Here is the problem with US News Ranking. The ranking does not reflect the kind of education you will receive, how well you will be taught for the boards, and how well students will be placed residencies.

The research fund category is useful because it does reflect how much research involvement you can have. So if you are aiming for MD/PhD, high research funding is useful.

Average GPA and MCAT scores are useful for premeds.

GUSOM class do really well in residency placement and on the boards. From personal experience, we just got our Anatomy self exam results back, and our class average was one SD above the national average. So I am sure the class will do well on the boards and hence good residency placement. We all know that Step 1 score is the biggest factor in residency placement.

Are there anything negative about the school? Sure there are. The tuition is high, $40k+ per year. Living cost is high, DC is expensive. Winter is cold. The SOM building and classrooms are not impressive. I wish there are more variety of places to eat around campus. But who cares, if what really matters is how well you will do on the boards and where you will end up for residency? I think that is a lot more important. If that is the major category in ranking then I bet GUSOM will be ranked a lot higher.

I always asked this question. For whom is the Medical School Ranking in US News and WR "really" useful?

About financial problem. GU Hospital was hit hard financially in late 90's due to poor management, also that was over blown out of proportion. Now the hospital is run by MedStar group but it does not affect teaching of med students.

For final lesson is that you should not choose your medical school based on US News Ranking. Look at each category and try to find information beyond that rank and see what is that you really want from the medical school. The last thing that you want is choose medical school based on ranking and be miserable while being there.