Georgetown Psychiatry program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtpsy19

Reaction score
What do people think about this program? I heard its malignant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get the malignant vibe when I interviewed. Hours seemed kind of light actually from what I remember. It's possible I was misled and missed something, but that was just my gut feeling after interview day and talking to residents. That said, lack of moonlighting, an expensive city on the east coast, and weak inpatient experience turned me off.

Be careful when you hear a program is malignant. It often comes from someone who has an ax to grind. Look up some of the things written about GWU for instance and how they "fired a doctor for having cancer," then look up the legal documents associated with that case (which were posted here) and see how the story was twisted.

There are malignant programs out there, but be careful about listening to word of mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful when you hear a program is malignant. It often comes from someone who has an ax to grind. Look up some of the things written about GWU for instance and how they "fired a doctor for having cancer," then look up the legal documents associated with that case (which were posted here) and see how the story was twisted.

There are malignant programs out there, but be careful about listening to word of mouth.

I thought the issue with GWU wasn't just that case but that they had also fired several residents in a few years, or was that somewhere else?

Either way, valid point that one source saying a place is malignant is more likely coming from an angry or upset individual than the program itself.

I thought the issue with GWU wasn't just that case but that they had also fired several residents in a few years, or was that somewhere else?

Either way, valid point that one source saying a place is malignant is more likely coming from an angry or upset individual than the program itself.

Could be. I'm not sure. I just remember how much that story was exaggerated.

I believe UVA let several residents go.

There's a thread titled "malignant psychiatry programs" and I believe the same was stated there.

I think that when a program fires multiple residents at various times, you should be suspect. But also never forget that sometimes residents are fired for good reason. When you're a resident or med student, it's easy to be in that mentality where you feel for others who've been through what you have, all the sacrifices, the studying, the learning, the abuse of medical education that it's hard to see a good reason for resident termination. But there are some out there who shouldn't be practicing medicine and get terminated for good reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
How do we separate a malignant program from a shi*** program, is it that malignant programs fire residents more indiscriminately and thereby end/delay their careers? I believe there's far more shi*** programs out there than malignant..

When it comes to looking at how often residents get fired, the pendulum defiantly shouldn't swing any further in the lenient direction than it has already. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but it is true. Real patient safety involved here. Medical schools don't let us know very much about alarming signs and symptoms of incompetence. We are the ones who see when patient care isn't up to standards and we are the last line between education and independent practice. Yes, programs with high firing rates should be a red flag, but one or two firings should be the norm if everyone is honest over a couple of decades of experience. It is a rare, but necessary event in the life of even the best programs.

Reactions: 2 users
If there is consistent firing or generally angry residents then why risk the program if you have a choice? It's unlikely a toxic environment will change because the attendings or PD who work there generally don't easily leave or equally dismissed. Consider why a program has pissed off multiple residents and fired them because it reflects repeated group behaviors from the same individuals within a program. Ideally you can always remove toxic or incompetent residents but you almost never see the same attending or PD removed.

The impacts on your career can be quite detrimental given the history of behavior of some programs such as mandatory psych evals and sudden exaggerations in "competency". Good programs vs bad programs are night and day. Be cognitive, get a feel, and take whatever info as insight to make an informed decision. Good luck!

Last edited:
What do people think about this program? I heard its malignant.

New account, only one short post, and no follow-up after the initial post... are you an applicant? a g-town admin? a troll? so many questions

New account, only one short post, and no follow-up after the initial post... are you an applicant? a g-town admin? a troll? so many questions

Or a resident in trouble. Posts like these sometimes come from residents facing some type of problem at the institution.

Or a resident in trouble. Posts like these sometimes come from residents facing some type of problem at the institution.
I guess my last post was both prophetic and something the OP really didn't want to hear.

Unfortunately, the DC programs just aren't as high in quality as the Baltimore ones, despite many people having a preference for living in DC. I was unimpressed by the narrowness of experience the Georgetown program offered, my friend was even told at her Georgetown interview (by a Georgetown faculty) that she should go to UMD instead because she was a high quality applicant.

• Wow