Georgetown Secondary-Filthy Rich Only Need Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked over the Georgetown secondary. It is really quite ridiculous. They seem much more interested in our credit history than academic qualicfications. A spotless credit history is actually listed on the requirements for admissions page that comes in the envelope. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Georgey,

I'm still waiting on the Georgetown secondary. Other than their obsession with your credit history, how detailed is their secondary? A lot of essays? I'm guessing this is probably another $100 secondary fee? Thanks.

I haven't received anything from them, but I went on their site and it says the fee is 95 bucks and there is "one essay, single sided" to submit. What exactly that essay entails, I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
md2, It's pretty basic. The fee is $95. They want your name, address, alumni affiliations, name from letter writers, all that crap, a photo, and an essay on onoe single sheet of regular paper that answers the following question:

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to becomen a physician in the future?

Hope that helps.

Hmmm... well about a year ago Georgetown Medical Center was having SEVERE financial problems.

I think they merged with a private company, but I guess they are still having financial problems.

The med school tuition must indirectly support the Medical Center, otherwise be tied in somehow to their financial problems.

Is their financial aid bad? Maybe they dont offer very much.

By the way, Georgetown is not using alternate procedures are they? Georgey, did you have to do anything special to get a secondary or did they just mail it to you on their own? Did you send them a printed AMCAS or anything?

Originally posted by MacGyver:
•Hmmm... well about a year ago Georgetown Medical Center was having SEVERE financial problems.

I think they merged with a private company, but I guess they are still having financial problems.

The med school tuition must indirectly support the Medical Center, otherwise be tied in somehow to their financial problems.

Is their financial aid bad? Maybe they dont offer very much.

By the way, Georgetown is not using alternate procedures are they? Georgey, did you have to do anything special to get a secondary or did they just mail it to you on their own? Did you send them a printed AMCAS or anything?•

Got a georgetown application, all i did was submit and AMCAS. (Ohh No! :eek: )

MacGyver, I submitted my AMCAS app on 6/25. I haven't been processed, verified, etc. etc. I'm guessing that they got a copy of the one page printout AMCAS was sending to all the schools, although they are the only school in the last three weeks to send me a secondary. Who knows how they got my name? To date, I've only gotten secondaries from Yale (email), Tulane (mail), GW (mail), Jefferson (mail), Albet Einstein (email), and Dartmouth (mail). Georgetown didn't mention any alternative procedures in their secondary instructions. I guess they're waiting for AMCAS for the time being.

So does this mean Georgetown wont take me because I have lots of student loans and cant afford to pay for med school out of pocket?

Just curious, do you have to be Christian to go to Georgetown? Because I'm Jewish, and I'm kinda scared by the fact that they mention they are a Catholic, Jesuit institution like 9 times in their broshure. I don't mind the affiliation, but do you have to be baptized to go here?

Miami, I don't think it matters. I have a Jewish friend who went there for undergrad. I can't say for sure, but I don't think they would have any way of knowing your religious affiliations. Neither the AMCAS app or their secondary has a section to include such information.

Baylor, I really don't know. When you get the secondary you can be the judge. As you will see though, it does say that all acceptances are conditional based on a favorable review of your credit history; you have to have a credit report sent to their office after you are accepted. The sec app goes on to say what is considered an acceptable credit history. Whatever the case, I don't think I'm going to spend the $95 to apply. I can see myself get all excited that I got in, make all the arrangements to move to DC, not to mention turn down other schools' offer, and then get a letter in the mail saying "We regret to inform you that we cannot offer you a place in our freshman due to the following reaon(s): instances of deliquency too high, debt to income ratio unsatisfactory, etc, etc.

but do you really think your credit is considered that highly in admissions? i would think that *any* school would be reluctant to take on a student that has severe credit problems since it could put their ability to finance their education in doubt. georgetown is probably just the only one who is so up-front about it. loyola has a warning on their web page that applicants need to have their credit in order.

i highly doubt that having student loans, credit card balances, etc, is going to affect you. i'd say the majority of people have at least *some* kind of debt, even minimal. i would think that the type of credit problems they would ge concerned about would be a string of delinquent bill payments, loan default--more serious stuff like that.

but i agree--the georgetown secondary had a lot of junk enclosed with it. when i opened it it took me a minute or two to find the actual application. the envelope is quite thick, so the fact that the application itself asked for virtually no info was a surprise.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•So does this mean Georgetown wont take me because I have lots of student loans and cant afford to pay for med school out of pocket?•

I don't know anything about Georgetown, but my school considers students loans to be very different than other loans. I think that when they figure out your credit history, they look at whether you've been making necessary payments on time. You don't typically have to repay student loans while you are still a student, so they don't usually count in a credit history. At least, that's my understanding.

Has anybody heard of other schools actually checking credit before sending out acceptances? Or about schools accepting a student, only to reject him later cause of bad credit. I can't imagine this, cause what if you plan on getting a co-signer, or have a trust fund. Those things don't show up in a credit report, but can pay for med school.