Georgetown Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but nevertheless - When writing the essay for Georgetown's secondary application, is it assumed that we should be double-spacing the essay, or should it be single-spaced? Obviously, the difference in space between the two is significant, so I'm just wondering what everyone else who has filled or is filling out this secondary did/has been doing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to help, but I can't find G'town's application online.

Does it have a length limit? If it is a word length limit, I would double space for ease of reading. If it is a page limit (say like 1 page) I would assume that you can single space it and get more room for what you want to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no word limit as far as I can tell on the application...it just says "one page". Thanks for your help, BTW!

ms2209 said:
This may be a silly question, but nevertheless - When writing the essay for Georgetown's secondary application, is it assumed that we should be double-spacing the essay, or should it be single-spaced? Obviously, the difference in space between the two is significant, so I'm just wondering what everyone else who has filled or is filling out this secondary did/has been doing.

Official word from the Georgetown admissions office in an email:

Greetings:

Thank you for your message. You may compose your essay in either single
or double space format. The concept of the essay should be to
adequately answer the question fully.

Best wishes.

Office of Admissions
Georgetown University School of Medicine

I don't know how much this helps.

Jason

Jason110 said:
Official word from the Georgetown admissions office in an email:

Greetings:

Thank you for your message. You may compose your essay in either single
or double space format. The concept of the essay should be to
adequately answer the question fully.

Best wishes.

Office of Admissions
Georgetown University School of Medicine

Jason

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your sharing that info. Now I need to figure out how much (based on what I have written down so far) is enough to "adequately answer the question fully" - LOL! ;)

Does anyone know how to convert the document (Georgetown Secondary) from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Word so I can type it?

discusdan said:
Does anyone know how to convert the document (Georgetown Secondary) from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Word so I can type it?

I'm actually trying to find a program for this as well, and I've been trying www.download.com, but unfortunately, most of them are "shareware" and don't allow you to access full features of the program without the $$. However, if I find a program to do this I'll definitely let everyone know.

I couldn't figure it out either...I'm about to bust out the typewriter since its not too long. If you guys figure it out, please let us know. I think there is some option to buy Adobe Writer, but of course that costs $$$ as well...

If you're still in school... Check out your school's computer store for the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not the free acrobat reader you're using to view the g'town forms now). If I remember correctly, the full version of acrobat only costs around $60 and it lets you add text to a pdf. Well worth the sixty dollars to get nice clear secondary forms filled out.

Here's a link that gives instructions how to do it:

It can be a bit tedious at times, but it looks great.http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/article.asp?ContentID=6042

Good Luck,

When I submitted the application last year I just printed my essay on a plain sheet of paper and attached it to the application page. They really don't want you to bend over backward for this exercise - all they care about is the quality of your response.

thanks kelenaf- what you're saying makes sense.

Mine was single spaced last year.

Jason110 said:
Jason

Well, considering you just answered her question 100%, I think Hello Kitty up there would think you helped her out 100%, if you were looking for a quantitative answer.

discusdan said:

i actually handwrote it. :)

bdt said:
If you're still in school... Check out your school's computer store for the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not the free acrobat reader you're using to view the g'town forms now). If I remember correctly, the full version of acrobat only costs around $60 and it lets you add text to a pdf. Well worth the sixty dollars to get nice clear secondary forms filled out.

Here's a link that gives instructions how to do it:

It can be a bit tedious at times, but it looks great.http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/article.asp?ContentID=6042

Good Luck,

I have Adobe Acrobat Professional (full version), so if anyone really needs something converted to a PDF, or a PDF that is editable, PM me and I'll be happy to do it.

Wait -- it says in the application instructions to simply type it on one side or a white 8x10 piece of paper. Why not just do what it asks?

VFrank said:
Wait -- it says in the application instructions to simply type it on one side or a white 8x10 piece of paper. Why not just do what it asks?

Umm...because that doesn't specify whether it's one page SINGLE or DOUBLE spaced...