Georgetown secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Part of Georgetown's secondary asks "How do you think your education at Georgetown will help you to become a physician for the future?"
I am a little confused concerning the "future" wording part of this question. Does it simply mean how does a medical education at Georgetown prepares me for a medical career or should I emphasize "physician for the future" part, as if it is going to be different from the physician of the present?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DocKat said:
Hi guys

Part of Georgetown's secondary asks "How do you think your education at Georgetown will help you to become a physician for the future?"
I am a little confused concerning the "future" wording part of this question. Does it simply mean how does a medical education at Georgetown prepares me for a medical career or should I emphasize "physician for the future" part, as if it is going to be different from the physician of the present?

Thanks

They leave it open to interpretation...I just went with the Jesuit thing because my Alma Mater is Jesuit and kind of ignored the future aspect because I actually cant read.

Hehe, my georgetown essay was completely pathetic. They asked for a "one page" essay so I stretched it out as much as I could. I did get a full page but I can't imagine it's going to help me much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overeducated said:
Hehe, my georgetown essay was completely pathetic. They asked for a "one page" essay so I stretched it out as much as I could. I did get a full page but I can't imagine it's going to help me much.

I didnt feel like writing more than a half page and filling the rest with a bunch of crap, so I just kept it pretty simple and I think it's at least usable as a coaster at this point.

the essay question translates to "what's so great about georgetown and what do you think makes georgetown different." that's what they want to hear. the essay is really important. if i were you guys, i'd take a thorough look at the curriculum, service opportunities, etc and then write a pretty well thought essay on that subject. check out past threads on this topic - writing a half-assed secondary essay for georgetown is not a good idea. for a start, investigate cura personalis and figure out some way to incorporate that into your essay. good luck.

medstylee said:
the essay question translates to "what's so great about georgetown and what do you think makes georgetown different." that's what they want to hear. the essay is really important. if i were you guys, i'd take a thorough look at the curriculum, service opportunities, etc and then write a pretty well thought essay on that subject. check out past threads on this topic - writing a half-assed secondary essay for georgetown is not a good idea. for a start, investigate cura personalis and figure out some way to incorporate that into your essay. good luck.

That was my essay+ the whold Jesuit thing to tie to my undergraduate alma mater

I've written 4 different Gtown essays and they are all wretched. I think I just have to suck it up, live with one of them, and send it in. I believe this is a sign that I'm not meant to go there (although I'm all about Jesuit schools).

I wonder if other premeds who have been out of school for a few years are having as much trouble writing essays as I am? All I've been writing for the past two years are IRB and grant applications. Oh, and some stuff on here.

yeah the Gtown essay is a bitch....i think the whole page thing really got me and was a reason why i didnt start it until it was really late in the game...

I got going on about the setting of Gtown and how it was different than most other med schools.....it got me started.

was that essay that bad? I wrote it in a couple of hours about how i like dc, their focus on religion and medicine and the opportunity to go abroad during senior electives.

I guess the essay isn't that bad. I think it's just me being picky and wanting to have perfect writing. And also wanting to say something to catch their attention so that my essay isn't identical to all of yours-- you know, jesuit, service opportunities, strong clinical training, located in DC, etc.

i don't know if those standard answers are exactly a bad thing, so long as you explain your reasoning. ie, i said i like the international electives idea simply because i just came back from kenya and had an amazing time. Careful of trying to be TOO unique. it's just a secondary.

I hear you, jammin. I just want a couple of good, solid sentences for them to remember me by...or is that what my picture is for? I'm spending most of the essay explaining why I want to stick with a Jesuit school (I did Jesuit undergrad). Believe me, I'm not playing up my uniqueness in this essay.

hehe, think the picture just add's a personal touch to the application, which i guess could be a criteria for uniqueness. i know what you mean about having hte memorable sentances. gl w/ the rest of your app

good thing i'm a knockout, huh? :laugh:

best of luck on your apps too! just got NYMC-- a very easy one!