Georgetown Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, again. Just wanted to let you guys know that I received a secondary invite via e-mail from Georgetown today. Hopefully you guys will be getting them soon! The fee is $130!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Punkn said:
Hello all, again. Just wanted to let you guys know that I received a secondary invite via e-mail from Georgetown today. Hopefully you guys will be getting them soon! The fee is $130!! :eek:

That price tag right there is one of the reasons I'm not applying there...that's just pure evil. I can add 2-3 other schools for that price

same here, many people would criticize my logic here, but 1) I know I don't want to go there. 2) I know I will probably get rejected and 3) They have one of the most expensive secondaries

all adds up to me not applying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ironmanf14 said:
same here, many people would criticize my logic here, but 1) I know I don't want to go there. 2) I know I will probably get rejected and 3) They have one of the most expensive secondaries

my reasoning too last year and the fact that I thought their secondary email was one of the most elitist an snobby things I'd ever read from a med school, hence the "do I really want to go here?" thought :rolleyes:

last year it was 110.00, and i thought that was too high! plus, i didn't like the essay question, why georgetown and what kind of dr do you think georgetown will make you? i decided to pass.

Penn State University COM class of 2010

Punkn said:

Would you mind sharing the essay question? Please :)

sf1991 said:
last year it was 110.00, and i thought that was too high! plus, i didn't like the essay question, why georgetown and what kind of dr do you think georgetown will make you? i decided to pass.

Penn State University COM class of 2010

ahhh so many words of wisdom from PSU peeps! I love you guys!!! :love: I wanna go to PSU TOO!!!!!! :(

michjen23 said:
Would you mind sharing the essay question? Please :)

Sure! It says, "Please submit a one-page essay, single-spaced, one side only, on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper, with name, AAMC ID number, and date, which answers this question: Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?"

They also dont take the AAMC fee waiver. Greedy wankers.

Their email had a whole spiel about how you need to have a good gpa/mcat scores....how nice.

I wonder if "good" is truly defined....a bit subjective wouldnt ya think?

Suaveness said:
Their email had a whole spiel about how you need to have a good gpa/mcat scores....how nice.

yes, this is what turned me off, 30MCAT and 3.6 Sci/Cum was what it was last year.

Although my GPA, scores were pretty avg for their matriculant, I just thought it sounded snobby, I mean, if it's an avg then they take ppl with both higher and LOWER numbers. But it does make them sound like number ******, doesn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they defined it as a 3.6 sci gpa and 3.6 overall gpa. I remember if they mentioned the mcat score, but they probably said 30+.

This is what it says:

"The Committee on Admissions carefully reviews all completed applications. At the same time, it must establish academic criteria to reduce the volume of seriously considered applications to a manageable number. The following information is provided to help you judge your competitiveness.

Those invited for interview generally present a mean science Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 and mean Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores of 10 for each subtest. Those considered competitive after interview have roughly the same academic credentials, stronger recommendations, and a more positive interview evaluation than those rejected after interview. Those accepted generally present a mean science GPA of 3.6 and mean MCAT scores of 10 for each subtest.

In 2005-2006, the School of Medicine received 8,832 AMCAS applications. Of the 5,526 completed applications, 1,319 individuals were interviewed to seat a class of 190 students. The Committee on Admissions strives for a diverse representation in the Class and reviews academic credentials, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, participation in health care experiences, and the interview evaluation when making its selections."

I didn't initially read it as snobby, but I certainly see how it can be interpreted that way.

Punkn said:
I didn't initially read it as snobby, but I certainly see how it can be interpreted that way.

yeah, it doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but I haven't seen anything like this UP FRONT before you've even completed the secondary from any other med schools... some schools will of course tell you this, but usually in your rejection letter!! lol :laugh:

Punkn said:
Sure! It says, "Please submit a one-page essay, single-spaced, one side only, on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper, with name, AAMC ID number, and date, which answers this question: Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?"

Well... Georgetown is a medical school in need of my pretty tuition dollars... and I want to practice medicne and really enjoy being in debt... so perhaps, by going to your fine institution, I may learn a thing or two, you can strip my bank account dry, and everyone can go home happy. <Send.>

Just FYI, if you have less than a 3.5 overall/3.4 science and 27 MCAT, chances are good that Georgetown will take your money and reject you the next day. It is shameful the way they milk every penny they can get out of the secondary fee.

strawberryfield said:
yeah, it doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but I haven't seen anything like this UP FRONT before you've even completed the secondary from any other med schools... some schools will of course tell you this, but usually in your rejection letter!! lol :laugh:

Most med schools don't screen anymore (they are very happy to take your money!), so this is kind of like a self-screen (I wish they would do it themselves though- after all, we already paid AMCAS).

I was accepted to Georgetown for the 2006 cycle. From my own experience, Georgetown really is looking for students who fit with their overall philosophy. That secondary essay plays a huge role in who gets an interview, so read up on cura personalis, etc. since that's what they feel really sets their program apart from other med schools. Long story short, if Georgetown is your dream school and you really believe in their philosophy (and have stats somewhat in their range), I think you have pretty good shot.

ironmanf14 said:

yeah, last year, my rejection literally came about 10 days after i sent in the secondary. i think the rejection got to my mailbox faster than the cancelled check made it back to my bank...so glad i wasted $115 on that...

anystream said:
I was accepted to Georgetown for the 2006 cycle. From my own experience, Georgetown really is looking for students who fit with their overall philosophy. That secondary essay plays a huge role in who gets an interview, so read up on cura personalis, etc. since that's what they feel really sets their program apart from other med schools. Long story short, if Georgetown is your dream school and you really believe in their philosophy (and have stats somewhat in their range), I think you have pretty good shot.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what cura personalis is, and was also wondering where I can find out more about their philosophy. In general, for making secondaries more personal to the university, where should we go for relevant information. Just visit the website? Thanks :love:

aliziry said:
They also dont take the AAMC fee waiver. Greedy wankers.

Actually, they do. It says on the secondary "Waivers of the application fee are granted only to applicants approved by the AMCAS Fee Assistance Program (FAP)". :)

anystream said:
Most med schools don't screen anymore (they are very happy to take your money!), so this is kind of like a self-screen (I wish they would do it themselves though- after all, we already paid AMCAS).

That seems a little overly optimistic to me since they did have 5500+ completed applications last year. :)

So when they screen out with those stats, do they take into consideration what major you are? Those with technical science electives will have lower bcpm gpas than those who took only the minimal requirements...

even though GT seems to be pretty greedy, they will be getting my check lol.

taylormade44 said:
So when they screen out with those stats, do they take into consideration what major you are? Those with technical science electives will have lower bcpm gpas than those who took only the minimal requirements...

Let me tell you as a Gtown alum who knows other gtown alums that are current med students: there is sub-par clinical experience in the first two years, the tuition is outrageous(highlighted by their rediculous secondary fee), they have been having bankruptcy issues and other financial problems for several years

on the other hand, from my undergrad class alone, they accepted someone with a 26 mcat and 3.2 gpa. to get in gtown, you just have to know the right people and pay the right amount...if you really want to go there and don't have the numbers. In all honesty, you can get the same education(or better) at another school for A LOT less money and a lot less politics. cura personalis...psh...why don't they practice what they preach and have a normal secondary fee

just my 0.02

taylormade44 said:

honestly, i thought this before, but now I dont think schools even care what your major was

jillibean said:
That seems a little overly optimistic to me since they did have 5500+ completed applications last year. :)

yeah...i meant relative to other med schools. none of them are easy to get into, unfortunately ;) but GT gives you a lot of opportunities to express interest in their school and they take that very seriously.

Just finished writing the G-Town secondary essay in hopes they will actually send me a secondary-haha

Hope I didn't do all that work for nothing!

check out the interview feedback on them . . . its even more negative.