Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2014-2015 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, top 25 including Columbia??
Honestly, I think those students already had like 3.6s and/or had SUPER high MCATs to back up their SMP grades.

Do those kids get in during the SMP or after?
The schools on the alumni site don't have that many top 25 schools on there. Maybe like, UVa occasionally.
But I've heard of kids who, AFTER doing the SMP, they get into top 30 schools, which makes more sense since they would have the full year of SMP grades on their AMCAS primary.
Most get in during the SMP I've heard - and if it is top 25, many are state schools and quite possibly the student is IS. (like you said, UVA) but the SMP is special in that a lot of med schools recognize the program, and takes in consideration its courses and grades as the semester goes on, like a rolling review

Members don't see this ad.

I gave up my spot. Good luck to those waitlisted!

I am currently wail listed. Today I got an email asking me to respond back with one of 3 options:
1. will go if accepted
2. want to go, but not sure
3. no thanks

And...between now and august, we will hear back.

So is this email a good thing? once they figure out the final pool of wait list applicants - how many are accepted? on the website they say 'many are accepted'...how much is MANY?

I chose #1. I am very much still interested in this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me the same thing and also asked me to apply for the G2MS Program, and followed up with several questions regarding my application. These waitlist games are getting out of hand...

They sent me the same thing and also asked me to apply for the G2MS Program, and followed up with several questions regarding my application. These waitlist games are getting out of hand...
R u still on the waitlist?

Just recently got accepted to the Georgetown SMP for 2015-2016 year, and still debating whether it's the right option.

Can anyone who decided to attend let me in on how the program is, and where you are with med school applications/interviews/acceptances?

I just wanna be as informed as possible before committing.

3.55 cGPA and sGPA

28 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Just recently got accepted to the Georgetown SMP for 2015-2016 year, and still debating whether it's the right option.

Can anyone who decided to attend let me in on how the program is, and where you are with med school applications/interviews/acceptances?

I just wanna be as informed as possible before committing.

3.55 cGPA and sGPA

28 MCAT

Unless you took almost no upper-level science courses (or your grades are on a noticeably downward trend), I don't think this program is really worth it for you. Your GPA is fine, and it seems like your MCAT is the only thing that adcoms would hold against you. I would just dedicate the full year to learning the new MCAT and increasing that score to 30 at least. Doing the SMP seems like an unnecessary [and let's not forget EXPENSIVE] risk for your academic record.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you took almost no upper-level science courses (or your grades are on a noticeably downward trend), I don't think this program is really worth it for you. Your GPA is fine, and it seems like your MCAT is the only thing that adcoms would hold against you. I would just dedicate the full year to learning the new MCAT and increasing that score to 30 at least. Doing the SMP seems like an unnecessary [and let's not forget EXPENSIVE] risk for your academic record.
I agree. A program like this helps a sub-standard GPA but NOT a sub-standard MCAT. I'm currently in NYMC's SMP and this has definitely shown to be the case. Improve your MCAT and apply broadly.

I agree. A program like this helps a sub-standard GPA but NOT a sub-standard MCAT. I'm currently in NYMC's SMP and this has definitely shown to be the case. Improve your MCAT and apply broadly.

I actually made a mistake. The 3.55 is my gpa at my institution but we are on the +/- system. My amcas gpa is a 3.4 which is much less competitive, so I feel like this program might be good for me unless you still feel otherwise.

I actually made a mistake. The 3.55 is my gpa at my institution but we are on the +/- system. My amcas gpa is a 3.4 which is much less competitive, so I feel like this program might be good for me unless you still feel otherwise.
3.4 is a tad low but not unusable (also depends on your BCPM and your ECs). The 28 MCAT remains the much weaker stat. Georgetown's program would help some IF you did VERY well (note the IF and VERY, i.e. you would be taking a risk), but even a slightly better MCAT score (30 or better) would help you much more.

@CaseyNCHS, are you looking to apply MD, DO, or both? Your GPA and MCAT are already good for DO schools. If you're applying MD, strong performance in the SMP will definitely help, but your priority should be a 30+ MCAT for the best chance of admission. If your uGPA isn't as stellar as you would like, don't give the adcoms a sub-par MCAT or else you may be passed over, even with a great SMP GPA. Remember that any SMP is a remedial program of sorts, and a lot of med schools consider us higher risk applicants anyway. Give med schools as many reasons as possible to grant you an interview.

SMP + MCAT may work for you. Whatever you do, don't take the MCAT during SMP year, as you will be too busy to study for it and the topics don't overlap much. Another option would be to skip the SMP and take more upper-level BCPM classes at your university to get those GPAs higher (3.6+) while studying for the MCAT. It'll save you quite a bit of money, and perhaps an application cycle.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users