Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2014-2015 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang! I guess you never know what adcoms are thinking. I just submitted my app. 3.5 cGPA 3.45 sgpa. Writing MCAT may 17th. Looking at around 32-34 MCAT

Won't the MCAT be too late? When is the last day to submit the supplementals?

Members don't see this ad.

Won't the MCAT be too late? When is the last day to submit the supplementals?
The app deadline is May 15. It says on the website that the latest MCAT test dates are accepted in June, so that they can receive scores by July.

Hey guys, just got accepted to this program and am super excited. One quick question: in order to "guarantee" my slot, a $500 deposit along with my acceptance of their offer is due April 15. I am still waiting to hear from NYMC, and don´t know if I´ll hear from them by then. I am leaning toward NYMC and at least want to hear what they have to say. Georgetown told me that I can wait to accept until after the 15th and then "reapply for acceptance," which is "typically" granted if there is space.

Obviously the plausibility of getting into Georgetown but NOT into NYMC and then Georgetown running out of space before June seems extremely low - does anyone out there have some expertise about this? Does it make sense to just fork over the $500 by the 15th just to sleep better at night?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just got accepted to this program and am super excited. One quick question: in order to "guarantee" my slot, a $500 deposit along with my acceptance of their offer is due April 15. I am still waiting to hear from NYMC, and don´t know if I´ll hear from them by then. I am leaning toward NYMC and at least want to hear what they have to say. Georgetown told me that I can wait to accept until after the 15th and then "reapply for acceptance," which is "typically" granted if there is space.

Obviously the plausibility of getting into Georgetown but NOT into NYMC and then Georgetown running out of space before June seems extremely low - does anyone out there have some expertise about this? Does it make sense to just fork over the $500 by the 15th just to sleep better at night?
I'm pretty much in the same position except with a different school. I'll be mailing that check on the 15th because I want to guarantee that I'm going somewhere this fall.

Accepted 3/14 currently trying to decide if this here SMP will aid me.

3.57 cGPA, 28MCAT (2nd time), solid extra curriculars and LORs

any insight?

Accepted 3/14 currently trying to decide if this here SMP will aid me.

3.57 cGPA, 28MCAT (2nd time), solid extra curriculars and LORs

any insight?

current SMP, what's your sGPA?

sGPA 3.66

Not sure if you need this program or any post-bac at all. If both your GPAs are above 3.5, surely you'll get in somewhere without a post-bac. The SMP will not help you on your MCAT. They claim that those who take the MCAT after the SMP score very well on the MCAT, but that's due to having developed good studying skills rather than pure knowledge. There's little that you learn that will help you on the MCAT.

Just submitted my app on Monday. Currently sitting on 4 waitlists but I want a back-up just in case.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.5 from UVA, MCAT 33 (PS 12, V10, B11), 2 years ER scribe, many years other volunteer work.

For using letters of rec from interfolio, the directions just said to enter "interfolio" into the first and last name of the required recommender's field and then just use a dummy email address we have to put in the email blank. is there anything else I have to do after mailing in the hard-copies of my letters? the online portal says my letter is "not received" because I sent the recommendation to myself as directed...will it say "Received" when my letter packet arrives to Georgetown in the mail? You would think enough people use interfolio for letters of rec that they would have something specific for it.

Also, how long is the wait usually between submission and notification of completion?

Just submitted my app on Monday. Currently sitting on 4 waitlists but I want a back-up just in case.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.5 from UVA, MCAT 33 (PS 12, V10, B11), 2 years ER scribe, many years other volunteer work.

For using letters of rec from interfolio, the directions just said to enter "interfolio" into the first and last name of the required recommender's field and then just use a dummy email address we have to put in the email blank. is there anything else I have to do after mailing in the hard-copies of my letters? the online portal says my letter is "not received" because I sent the recommendation to myself as directed...will it say "Received" when my letter packet arrives to Georgetown in the mail? You would think enough people use interfolio for letters of rec that they would have something specific for it.

Also, how long is the wait usually between submission and notification of completion?
Yeah I sent in my LORs through Interfolio and did it exactly the way they told me to do it and it was fine.

I was complete 3/18 and accepted 3/26 but in the email they do say that it usually takes 3-4 weeks for a decision. P.S. I'm about 99% sure you'll get in since my GPA was way lower than yours and I got in haha.

So I applied last week! Do they let you know when your app is complete?

I am also nervous! I believe I applied late and I have a 3.36 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 31 MCAT score >.<

Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 user
in-screening email March 18th, and just accepted today! 21st of April.

Got waitlisted!
What can i possibly show them, so they can accept me?
What do i do now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted Yesterday but I will withdraw my acceptance as soon as I am able. Not worth it to be ~$60k in debt from a 1 year masters program before entering med school. I'll keep my $60k and take my chances working at a hospital for a year.

For those who wish to continue with this endeavor, good luck!

Accepted Yesterday but I will withdraw my acceptance as soon as I am able. Not worth it to be ~$60k in debt from a 1 year masters program before entering med school. I'll keep my $60k and take my chances working at a hospital for a year.

For those who wish to continue with this endeavor, good luck!
Yeah your stats are too good to risk an SMP for. Good decision and best of luck! :)

Got waitlisted!
What can i possibly show them, so they can accept me?
What do i do now?

I would def. keep in touch with them by writing them letters/emails, telling them how much you wanna go to the program b/c how it can help you and what you can offer for the program, and blah blah blah. Write one now and also write another one when it gets closer to when the waitlist movement starts. Call them at that time as well to check if your updates are received properly (also a way to show that you are still interested). If you want, you can write them a letter saying that if you get accepted off the waitlist, you will def. go.

You should call and see which email you should email all the letters to first, prob. the physio email. Say like I am waitlisted, if I wanna send updates, which email I should send to? Then meanwhile, you just send some small updates along with statement of interest, combined them in a letter. Send 1 or 2. (one earlier and one later)

Idk, that's just the strategy for med school. lol good luck!

Did you guys hear back regarding financial aid? I had everything done around mid-April (FAFSA filed February, updated mid-April) but still no word.

hello,

I have been waitlisted today to this program, and I was wondering when the waitlist begins to start moving! Also I have read that some people know where they are on the waitlist and I was wondering how they found out this information. I have a 3.0x gpa and a 31 mcat with outstanding extra curriculars, letter of recs, and personal statement. What type of items should be sent as update info, would it only be unofficial transcripts and mcat scores if retaken. Is it possible to write another letter to defend your position on the waitlist!

Thanks for all your help!

For anyone accepted, have you guys started the AMCAS app for 2015? On the website, they strongly encourage us to apply for the following medical school app cycle but my pre-med adviser is strongly against it and thinks I should wait a year so that I have grades and letters from the SMP prgm. Anybody have thoughts or opinions on it?

accepted 5/6/14! Yay my first SMP acceptance and I'm so relieved to know I'll be going somewhere next year haha.
sGPA: 2.87 cGPA: 3.08 MCAT: 39 (14 P 11 V 14 B)
How long after you get the email do you get the official acceptance through applyyourself?

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone accepted, have you guys started the AMCAS app for 2015? On the website, they strongly encourage us to apply for the following medical school app cycle but my pre-med adviser is strongly against it and thinks I should wait a year so that I have grades and letters from the SMP prgm. Anybody have thoughts or opinions on it?
I'm going to apply this year. I feel like the worst that can happen is I don't get in anywhere and I blew some money on applications.

I'm going to apply this year. I feel like the worst that can happen is I don't get in anywhere and I blew some money on applications.

Hi, I'm in Georgetown SMP this year and I strongly encourage applying during the program. If you're smart, you'll have the applications in by August anyway, so you'll only be worrying about the interviews during the school year (and it's very flexible to take time off for those). Another thing is that if you wait, the next year you'll have a whole year of nothing but waiting around for AdComs to call. SMP is kind of the end-all medical school prep... the only thing I can think of doing afterwards is maybe a research fellowship if you haven't done enough already. Another thing to consider is that you might do great the first semester of SMP, and then when the tougher medical courses hit you in winter, you start doing worse. If you apply this summer you may already be accepted by then. ;) Also tizhang I see you're waiting on a VTC decision... well 3-4 people from SMP got in there this year, so you know they love SMP!!

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So I just applied super late in the cycle on May 11th (deadline is May 15th), cGPA: 3.42, sGPA: 3.21, MCAT: 30 (11BS, 10PS, 9VR). I probably won't have all of my letter of recs until June. I have a ton of volunteering/shadowing experiences and have received an A in courses at Georgetown Med through GSMI before. I know my chances of getting in are really slim, but has anyone applied this late in the cycle and got accepted? Thanks.

I think you still have a chance because quite a chunk of applicants are taking the MCATs in May so their file will not be complete yet.
I submitted my application back in January and took my MCAT in April..still waiting for my score :lame::lame:

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied in April, my last Rec letter didn't go in until May 7, I was classified to be under review on May 12, Accepted on May 14 :D.

You might have a chance because there is a lot of movement on June/July... they accept students that later get into medical school because they were waitlisted before, so don't give up hope!

I started it! On Google groups created for the accepted students says that since the classes are on blocks of 4 weeks each, completing your first medical class after only 4 weeks, you will have plenty of updates for the medical schools to see how you are doing. On the same group they posted a list of schools they recommend applying which have a history of accepting several students from their SMP program. It is ultimately up to you, however I will risk this cycle because I don't want to wait another year. If I don't get in, all I lost is money, if I don't apply this cycle, I will never know if I could've gotten in...

Current SMP here. If you choose not to apply, you should at least apply to Georgetown. Your chances of getting into Georgetown the year after are significantly decreased because you will be in the general applicant pool and not the special SMP pool. SMPs submit their GUSOM secondaries in early December whereas everyone else does them ASAP, this is because we are in a different pool than regular applicants.

Current SMP here. If you choose not to apply, you should at least apply to Georgetown. Your chances of getting into Georgetown the year after are significantly decreased because you will be in the general applicant pool and not the special SMP pool. SMPs submit their GUSOM secondaries in early December whereas everyone else does them ASAP, this is because we are in a different pool than regular applicants.

Can I ask how many '14 physios got into GUSOM '18? Thank you.

Last year 15 people were accepted initially and 4 eventually came off the waitlist. They said this was an anomaly because usually more people get off the waitlist (~15). They said it was because more accepted applicants chose to attend than in previous years. Personally I think this is becoming the trend from now on.

This year 15 were accepted again this past Monday. I'm not sure how many were waitlisted or rejected.

Last year 15 people were accepted initially and 4 eventually came off the waitlist. They said this was an anomaly because usually more people get off the waitlist (~15). They said it was because more accepted applicants chose to attend than in previous years. Personally I think this is becoming the trend from now on.

This year 15 were accepted again this past Monday. I'm not sure how many were waitlisted or rejected.
Thank you!

Anyone on the waitlist?
Updates?

When does the waitlist start moving?

Hey guys,

So I just applied super late in the cycle on May 11th (deadline is May 15th), cGPA: 3.42, sGPA: 3.21, MCAT: 30 (11BS, 10PS, 9VR). I probably won't have all of my letter of recs until June. I have a ton of volunteering/shadowing experiences and have received an A in courses at Georgetown Med through GSMI before. I know my chances of getting in are really slim, but has anyone applied this late in the cycle and got accepted? Thanks.

Hi there, I think you have a great shot. I applied May 15th at 11:59 with no MCAT score, lower GPA and I got off the waitlist in July. They will ask if you would enroll if accepted and you must say YES!

Thanks! Did you have your GRE scores? When were all of your letter of recs received?
Yes, I used GRE (99 percentile verbal, 71 percentile quantitative, average essay). My first two recommendations were in by May 5th, but one of my professors who had agreed to write one flaked, so I had to find someone else. That one didn't get in until at least June 12th. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

App Submitted 4/27
App Under Review 5/05
Acceptance via Email 5/15

now I just need to decide between RFU and here. opinions are welcomed!! Both are great programs, would be lucky to attend either.

Last edited:
Accepted!
cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.2 (top 20 undergrad), MCAT 29R
strong ECs, 1500+ hrs research (w/ publication), medium amount of shadowing

App Submitted 4/27
App Under Review 5/05
Acceptance via Email 5/15

now I just need to decide between RFU and here. opinions are welcomed!! Both are great programs, would be lucky to attend either.

Congrats!

The biggest difference between the two is rigor. From what I've heard RFU is more geared towards admitting their SMP students into RFUMS, but the same can't be said for GU. Only slightly over 10% of the SMP class will be accepted at most, even less so if you don't count people coming off the waitlist. That being said, if you can do well at the more rigorous GU SMP, it bodes well for acceptances at other school, much more than RFU. But that's a big IF since it's very difficult to do well

Hey guys! I got accepted on the 14th of May, how long does it take to receive the official acceptance via Apply Yourself? Thanks!

Hi! I recently applied to this program. Unfortunately, I heard of it pretty late.
My stats (went to top 5 public school):
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 40

My question is, should I do the SMP even if I get in? Is it worth it for me?
I live in VA and am trying to get into UVA or GU or GW (these are the reaches for me. I'll definitely be applying to other match/safety schools)

My GPA is prettyyy low but it's due to a horrible junior year due to health issues. Needless to say it's a downward trend. It did go up fall semester of senior year but then I had to graduate a semester early since I was done and financial issues, etc.
Will my MCAT even be noticed? Will LORs, activities, essays, interview do the trick for me? Or has my GPA torpedoed my chances at these schools? If this is the case then I'm presuming an SMP would be the way to go... Ha, and on top of it all, I'm Asian which really hurts my chances :scared:But then so many people are telling people with similar GPAs as me that an SMP isn't worth it....

Any advice? I'm hopelessly confused.

I'm already taking a gap year and don't want this to turn into 2-3 gap years

Hi! I recently applied to this program. Unfortunately, I heard of it pretty late.
My stats (went to top 5 public school):
MCAT: 40

My question is, should I do the SMP even if I get in? Is it worth it for me?
I live in VA and am trying to get into UVA or GU or GW (these are the reaches for me. I'll definitely be applying to other match/safety schools)

My GPA is prettyyy low but it's due to a horrible junior year due to health issues. Needless to say it's a downward trend. It did go up fall semester of senior year but then I had to graduate a semester early since I was done and financial issues, etc.
Will my MCAT even be noticed? Will LORs, activities, essays, interview do the trick for me? Or has my GPA torpedoed my chances at these schools? If this is the case then I'm presuming an SMP would be the way to go... Ha, and on top of it all, I'm Asian which really hurts my chances :scared:But then so many people are telling people with similar GPAs as me that an SMP isn't worth it....

Any advice? I'm hopelessly confused.

I'm already taking a gap year and don't want this to turn into 2-3 gap years

How are your ECs? What do your pre-req grades look like?

Honestly with a 3.5/40 you should be able to get into a few MD schools provided you apply early and broadly. Your sGPA is obviously low but your MCAT score should more than make up for it. You prob won't get into any top 30 schools (like UVA) though...

If you want to improve your chances, taking a few upper division science courses would help just as much and save you a ton of money.

How are your ECs? What do your pre-req grades look like?

Honestly with a 3.5/40 you should be able to get into a few MD schools provided you apply early and broadly. Your sGPA is obviously low but your MCAT score should more than make up for it. You prob won't get into any top 30 schools (like UVA) though...

If you want to improve your chances, taking a few upper division science courses would help just as much and save you a ton of money.

I realize this is an SMP thread and not a "what are my chances" thread so I'll keep this super brief:

I received advice from others on this thread and they told me to give it a go this cycle and if all else fails apply for SMP next year. So I went ahead and submitted my AMCAS on June 3rd! (since earlier the better)
My pre-req grades are really good (it's just those darn upper level bio courses! took too many challenging ones at once :( )
My ECs are aiite. They aren't sufficiently lacking but it's not like I founded a hospital in an underdeveloped area/country haha

How do you take upper division science courses without some kind of masters program? ...... How do you go about doing that?
Can I take them fall of 2014 and update the medical schools?..... Will that count as "undergraduate course work" and then change my gpa mid-application process?

I realize this is an SMP thread and not a "what are my chances" thread so I'll keep this super brief:

I received advice from others on this thread and they told me to give it a go this cycle and if all else fails apply for SMP next year. So I went ahead and submitted my AMCAS on June 3rd! (since earlier the better)
My pre-req grades are really good (it's just those darn upper level bio courses! took too many challenging ones at once :( )
My ECs are aiite. They aren't sufficiently lacking but it's not like I founded a hospital in an underdeveloped area/country haha

How do you take upper division science courses without some kind of masters program? ...... How do you go about doing that?
Can I take them fall of 2014 and update the medical schools?..... Will that count as "undergraduate course work" and then change my gpa mid-application process?

You can enroll in a post bacc program (non-degree), take summer school courses, or just take courses through a university's extension branch.

Yes, most schools accept updated grades throughout the application cycle. They'll add it to your file and update your GPA accordingly.

I turned down my spot this weekend - I hope it helps contribute to waitlist movement!

Last edited:
Application Complete : Jun/10/14
Cgpa: 3.5
Sgpa: 3.6
Mcat:30
This is def. the best smp out there. Its the only Smp that gets its students into Columbia and other top25's on a regular basis.
Update:
Accepted: Jun/24/14

Last edited:
Just got my official acceptance!
I retook my MCAT and got a higher score but this is the score I applied with:
Mcat: 30

I've been lurking around and there are TONS of kids on this thread with wayyy better stats than me. I consider myself lucky. :)

Application Complete : Jun/10/14
Cgpa: 3.6
Sgpa: 3.6
Mcat:30
This is def. the best smp out there. Its the only Smp that gets its students into Columbia and other top25's on a regular basis.

Wow, top 25 including Columbia??
Honestly, I think those students already had like 3.6s and/or had SUPER high MCATs to back up their SMP grades.

Do those kids get in during the SMP or after?
The schools on the alumni site don't have that many top 25 schools on there. Maybe like, UVa occasionally.
But I've heard of kids who, AFTER doing the SMP, they get into top 30 schools, which makes more sense since they would have the full year of SMP grades on their AMCAS primary.