Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you're saying that if I'm aiming at going to EVMS, I should go to the EVMS SMP right? But if not, go to Georgetown? I'm trying to be pretty realistic with a 3.48 cGPA, 30 MCAT and great extracurriculars. Is it realistic to assume that if I do very well at Georgetown, I could be one of those people that receive at least 2 acceptances?

If you are positive that EVMS is your top choice for medical school, their SMP is definitely your best bet. Doing well in their program will prove to their med admissions committee that you're a good fit for their school. If another school is your top med school, I'd personally suggest Georgetown because many schools across the country are very familiar with the rigorous coursework of our SMP and know that its students will succeed at their school.

With your current stats, especially your already good GPA, I'll cautiously say that you have a reasonable chance of scoring multiple interviews as a Georgetown SMP student. Maybe you've already gone over this, but have you considered just taking some more science undergrad classes instead of the SMP? A 3.48 overall GPA isn't bad at all, and with a few classes that tip it over a 3.5 I'd say you already have a decent chance at admission this cycle without the SMP. You are also definitely competitive for DO schools right now, and not doing the SMP will save you at least $50k. Just something to consider! :)

You also mentioned previously that you had a huge jump in your MCAT scores. Whatever option you choose this year, It will be very important for you to apply to med schools that only take your most recent (highest) MCAT score, and not at schools that average all your scores together. Good luck with choosing! I probably didn't make that much easier, sorry...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What do people think about the new GTDT campus/building? From what I can see, classes start a week later than the regular SMP, class size is only 15(? wow) and lectures are accessed via video. All other things seem the same

Thanks a lot for your input @cardio7. Doing an SMP is definitely an expensive route to go with, but I think it's what will push me over the edge to be accepted to a greater number of med schools. I'm the type of person that likes having at least 3-4 choices when it comes to school, which I know might be difficult with my current stats. And I wasn't aware that some med schools only consider only your latest MCAT score, that's awesome! I thought every med school looked at all your scores. Do they usually post that info on their websites? I was gonna start making my list of schools I want to apply to this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your input @cardio7. Doing an SMP is definitely an expensive route to go with, but I think it's what will push me over the edge to be accepted to a greater number of med schools. I'm the type of person that likes having at least 3-4 choices when it comes to school, which I know might be difficult with my current stats.

This is dangerous thinking, and you'll be putting yourself through a great deal of stress for what you'll likely find to be minimal return if this is what you expect. Keep in mind that there are multiple people in our program with higher GPA's than yours who have not been accepted or have been accepted to 1 medical school. There is no guarantee or rhyme or rhythm to this process, and you could likely do e.g.-the regular masters in Physiology and get the same result with a fraction of the stress and frustration (http://pharmacology.georgetown.edu/ms_physiology.html#_ga=1.164080831.1880270256.1427075421 ). We're all the type that want 3-4 choices, but that's just not up to us in the medical school process - most of us are here because the odds were against us getting even 1 without it.

Main point is, please don't come into the SMP thinking it's a magic fix for getting multiple interviews, because there's too great a chance that you'll be disappointed. My suggestions would follow cardio7's , especially since schools will see those grades sooner (consider a graduate anatomy or similar course during the summer maybe?) -> earlier interviews -> better chances at acceptance, whereas schools may choose to wait if you're in the SMP. Again, saying this based not on how good a fit we feel you are but more because of what you've stated your reason to be. It's absolutely your choice, we just really want everyone to understand what these programs really do and what they really are like (on your psyche AND your wallet) ;)

Reactions: 2 users
What do people think about the new GTDT campus/building? From what I can see, classes start a week later than the regular SMP, class size is only 15(? wow) and lectures are accessed via video. All other things seem the same

They haven't talked about this to the general class yet - I only just heard a bit about it because I was at a visiting student group's presentation this past Monday, and they mentioned it there. Sounds like it's really not going to be much different from the GeorgeSquared SMP.

Thanks a lot for your input @cardio7. Doing an SMP is definitely an expensive route to go with, but I think it's what will push me over the edge to be accepted to a greater number of med schools. I'm the type of person that likes having at least 3-4 choices when it comes to school, which I know might be difficult with my current stats. And I wasn't aware that some med schools only consider only your latest MCAT score, that's awesome! I thought every med school looked at all your scores. Do they usually post that info on their websites? I was gonna start making my list of schools I want to apply to this week.
If you really want the most choices, you should apply after you complete the SMP. That way all of the grades will be in there the moment you send in your primaries. Yes, you'll have to do take another gap year but I guess you'll have to weigh your options if you really want 3-4 choices.
I know someone who had around 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and she got 1 interview, 1 acceptance and she was incredibly thankful/happy. Remember, you only need one to be a doctor! ;)

Yeah I completely understand even getting 1 acceptance after the SMP would be a blessing. I know it would take a miracle to even get 3. I was mostly referring to my EVMS/Georgetown dilemma. It just seems that at EVMS I would probably on have 1 choice (EVMS) and MAYBE with Georgetown, I could have a better chance of making it into at least one of my state universities (which is what I would prefer due to finances). At least that is what it seems like from the research I've done. I looked into taking more science courses but I would have to take them at a college in my home town where I currently live. It is no where near as good as my undergrad university, and I was advised against taking any courses there by my pre-health office because it won't look as good as taking them at alma mater and because of that they recommended doing an SMP or post-back cert. I also looked at the site for one of my state universities and it said they recommend taking all science courses at the best institution you are accepted to, so it kind of made me feel like doing extra science classes at my home institution might be a waste :/

Complete 3/20
Waitlisted 3/30
:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its an interesting concept. But it seems to be mainly a self study program which would benefit a specific type of person. I wouldn't apply unless that is a more convenient way for you to study and retain information.

Main point is, please don't come into the SMP thinking it's a magic fix for getting multiple interviews, because there's too great a chance that you'll be disappointed. My suggestions would follow cardio7's , especially since schools will see those grades sooner (consider a graduate anatomy or similar course during the summer maybe?) -> earlier interviews -> better chances at acceptance, whereas schools may choose to wait if you're in the SMP. Again, saying this based not on how good a fit we feel you are but more because of what you've stated your reason to be. It's absolutely your choice, we just really want everyone to understand what these programs really do and what they really are like (on your psyche AND your wallet) ;)

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but allow me to emphasize Cupcake's bolded point above to make it absolutely clear. If you are an SMP student applying to schools in the year you start the program, most (not all) schools will wait for your Fall semester grades and program letter of recommendation before they decide to offer you an interview. They will not receive this information until around Thanksgiving, so many students will get interview slots for January through the end of the interview season. Some students with a high MCAT, already decent undergrad GPA, and/or otherwise interesting story will get fall interviews and acceptances, but the majority of interviews will be granted in the spring.

This may sound less-than ideal, but you need this time to show schools you can excel in med school classes. Once the SMPers conquer the fall classes (which we definitely do!) the interview invites generally begin. Because of the late timeline, a lot of us get waitlisted and are subsequently accepted from the waitlist. Some people just get accepted straight-up without a problem, but again, usually in the spring.

So if anyone out there is considering this (or any) SMP solely to help them boost their chances of getting a larger number of fall interviews and early acceptances, without needing to boost their undergrad GPA, you may be better suited for a different type of program. Sorry for the gloom and doom. Have a nice day! :)

Reactions: 3 users
This is dangerous thinking, and you'll be putting yourself through a great deal of stress for what you'll likely find to be minimal return if this is what you expect. Keep in mind that there are multiple people in our program with higher GPA's than yours who have not been accepted or have been accepted to 1 medical school. There is no guarantee or rhyme or rhythm to this process, and you could likely do e.g.-the regular masters in Physiology and get the same result with a fraction of the stress and frustration (http://pharmacology.georgetown.edu/ms_physiology.html#_ga=1.164080831.1880270256.1427075421 ). We're all the type that want 3-4 choices, but that's just not up to us in the medical school process - most of us are here because the odds were against us getting even 1 without it.

You seem pretty well-informed, and you mentioned something in this post that was on my mind for some time, so I want to ask for your two cents. I've been in a dilemma on whether to pursue the SMP or the regular MS, so what made you choose the SMP over the regular MS?

You seem pretty well-informed, and you mentioned something in this post that was on my mind for some time, so I want to ask for your two cents. I've been in a dilemma on whether to pursue the SMP or the regular MS, so what made you choose the SMP over the regular MS?

Hey X3NA! Love the name :) Simply put, I chose the SMP because my cGPA is 3.3, and, moreso because my sGPA is lower still (3.0 < x < 3.1). The regular MS is for mid-high range GPA's (around 3.5). Someone with my GPA needs to demonstrate that they can handle medical courses, whereas someone hovering closer to 3.5 is generally fine, and would benefit more from a less stressful, GPA-friendly regular MS. Some may not agree with this coming phrasing of it, but I tend see regular MS students as having acceptable GPA's and applications that are *supplemented/boosted* by the program, whereas SMP's applications have GPA's that need to basically be *fixed* by the SMP program.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've spoken with a few admissions advisors about georgetown, it's a very difficult program, very cutthroat, , very large class size, but you do get a great taste of med school and if your successful will help you achieve your career goals. They offer very personalized advice/ help on all things med school admissions and the advisors seem to truly care for their students. I would not recommend this program if your GPA is above a 3.4 though

Reactions: 1 users
I've spoken with a few admissions advisors about georgetown, it's a very difficult program, very cutthroat, , very large class size, but you do get a great taste of med school and if your successful will help you achieve your career goals. They offer very personalized advice/ help on all things med school admissions and the advisors seem to truly care for their students. I would not recommend this program if your GPA is above a 3.4 though
what if your gpa is above 3.4 but your sgpa isn't?

Reactions: 1 user
what if your gpa is above 3.4 but your sgpa isn't?

Depends on the situation, but generally I'd say SMP is fine for <3.4 sGPA because in all honesty that's what the SMP should really be for. Medical classes are science classes, so it should really be to prove your ability in science-based medical classes more than just academics in general. If you have a 3.5 from a 3.2 English/History etc. and 3.8 science, the SMP isn't really addressing the actual problem in the application. :p

^^^^^^Agreed. Georgetown avg GPA for their SMPers is a 3.3. If you already have a 3.5 sciGPA, the program has a strong possibility to hurt rather thAn help

I was accepted to this program about a week ago and I was notified that they want a $500 non-refundable deposit by April 15th. However, I have gone on 2 md interviews in the last month and will probably not hear back before the SMP deadline. Does anyone know how strict this deadline is? It seems silly to set this deadline before the med school deadline, and is only punishing spring interviewees like me...

I can vouch for the truth of everything you've said here minus the cutthroat part. This program is intense, but no one is deliberately sabotaging each other. We are competitive by nature as most pre-meds are, but I've found the students here to be much more supportive of each other than those at my large, impersonal undergrad school. It's a welcoming environment for sure, but the work is still up to you!

I was accepted to this program about a week ago and I was notified that they want a $500 non-refundable deposit by April 15th. However, I have gone on 2 md interviews in the last month and will probably not hear back before the SMP deadline. Does anyone know how strict this deadline is? It seems silly to set this deadline before the med school deadline, and is only punishing spring interviewees like me...
I would call the school and explain your situation. I'm sure they are more than willing to work with you. I am also sure that many students in the past have been in similar situations and the program has a policy in place to deal with it

Giving up my offer of acceptance; I hope it goes to one of you!

I received the email yesterday that verified that my application was received. When I logged online, it said my application was incomplete because my MCAT scores and transcripts weren't received by Georgetown. I submitted the MCAT score release and transcript release 1 week ago, is this normal that Georgetown didn't receive them yet? is it worth giving them a call?

I completed my app on 1/8 but haven't heard anything. I emailed them and they said my app is under review on 2/26. I didn't think it was a big deal but it seems like a lot of people heard back right away in March. I'm not overly concerned because I have an acceptance to BU so far, just kind of curious what the hold up is... If I'm rejected they should just let me know I think T.T

I received the email yesterday that verified that my application was received. When I logged online, it said my application was incomplete because my MCAT scores and transcripts weren't received by Georgetown. I submitted the MCAT score release and transcript release 1 week ago, is this normal that Georgetown didn't receive them yet? is it worth giving them a call?
I would wait another few days, it took a while for my MCAT score to be received as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone that was on the fence about attending GT over other schools accepted the offer yet? I'm about 95% sure I'm going but would love to hear about what you guys decided.

Hi guys :) Can any of the current SMPs post what textbooks we'll need for the upcoming semester? And also what advice any of you have for the summer before the program starts?

Also, I'm sorry if I sound silly, but I'm kind of confused about the level of difficulty of the classes! From what I've gleaned, it seems like students are in class for 3 or so hours a day, and then spend 8 hours every day studying. Is the material really so difficult that that many hours every day are required? Or do professors just skim over stuff in classes and you're expected to know things way more in depth for exams? Also, are the exams rote memorization or application questions?

I'm sorry about all the questions, I just really want to do well in the program haha. Any help would be really appreciated :)

Hi MooMoo20! There's no real textbook list - you can get by purely off of the lectures and the syllabi (notes) that we get in class, which is what I did. I used my Lehninger's Biochem book for reference in some of the earlier classes as well as the Netter's Essential Physiology book by Drs. Mulroney and Myers a few times. Not a ton, though. Some people use textbooks a lot more but it's all about your preference and time management. The only book I'd confidently say to get is Gray's Anatomy for Students because the anatomy professor here *loves* that thing, and you'll use it for any medical school anyway so might as well. The Essential Physiology book is helpful for many of the classes since it's based on the GUSOM curriculum, and sometimes questions from the book will appear on the exams. Renal was the only class I remember with a basically required text (Vanders Renal Physiology).

It may be a good idea to go over a biochem book (Lehninger's suggested) and maybe even the Netter's text if you like, but there's 100% nothing necessary to do study-wise. I honestly relaxed for most of the summer and I think most others did too. Don't study too hard because it'll be way worse to burn out early from overworking. Most people recommend not studying before medical school, and that suggestion probably applies here as well. Buff up your app in other ways if you need to (clinical etc.) because you won't have much of a chance in the program.

To do really well in the program, yes, that's what you need to do. It's more the former than the latter. Remember, you're in medical school classes! This is what medical students do - and they often have clinical courses and extracurricular activities on top of that! If you get used to it now, you'll be golden in medical school. I can't say I'm that good to do 8 hours a day outside of class - aside from the day before tests ;) - but I'm getting through just fine. Most of the grad courses are much easier, so there's a bit of a break there!

Exams are a bit of a mix of both memorization and application. It's fairly professor-dependent. Again, for medical classes, this is what you'll be getting in med school as well, so once you've experienced it here, you'll be in a good place.

Love questions, it shows how much you care about the program and your path, and it helps others too - so no need to apologize! :)

Hi guys :) Can any of the current SMPs post what textbooks we'll need for the upcoming semester? And also what advice any of you have for the summer before the program starts?

Also, I'm sorry if I sound silly, but I'm kind of confused about the level of difficulty of the classes! From what I've gleaned, it seems like students are in class for 3 or so hours a day, and then spend 8 hours every day studying. Is the material really so difficult that that many hours every day are required? Or do professors just skim over stuff in classes and you're expected to know things way more in depth for exams? Also, are the exams rote memorization or application questions?

I'm sorry about all the questions, I just really want to do well in the program haha. Any help would be really appreciated :)

If your biochem knowledge is a bit rusty you'll want to spend a few weeks reviewing basic concepts before classes begin. The first class is a biochem-heavy medical course, so a bit of preparation will help you. Honestly, spend maybe a week or two on it and then just relax for the rest of the summer. You'll have plenty of time to study once you get here!

It does sound silly to study 8 hours for 3 hours of class, but time flies while you're studying this stuff, especially for the med classes. The material is not difficult, but it's presented so quickly and in such high volume that you'll need the extra time to work through it on your own. Studying for 8 hours a day is a bit much for most students I've met, so it all depends on your study methods. You may find yourself studying most of the day in the beginning as you get acclimated to the program and studying less (working faster/more efficiently) as the year goes by.

I'm trying to decide between the GTDT and the Med campus and the number 1 deciding factor is that GTDT offers clinical experience. But I can't gauge how much clinical experience is "sufficient." I have about 300 hours. Is that enough to not have to worry about clinical experience for the year? It's just that I didn't do any amazing clinical jobs like scribing or being a medical assistant :/ I was just curious about the perspectives of those already in the program.

I'm trying to decide between the GTDT and the Med campus and the number 1 deciding factor is that GTDT offers clinical experience. But I can't gauge how much clinical experience is "sufficient." I have about 300 hours. Is that enough to not have to worry about clinical experience for the year? It's just that I didn't do any amazing clinical jobs like scribing or being a medical assistant :/ I was just curious about the perspectives of those already in the program.

You don't need scribe or be a medical assistant to have sufficient clinical experience :) 300 sounds pretty standard, so I personally don't think you're in trouble if you don't do extra clinical. There are some people in our program that have had next to no official clinical experience (which I don't recommend for the process, haha). Definitely talk to Amy Richards about it if you haven't already.

Hey everyone. For those that applied, I was wondering how exactly you filled out the activities section in the supplemental?
Did you paste your resume in the relevant sections or provide a personal narrative? The instructions say "brief" so I am a tad conflicted.

Hey everyone. For those that applied, I was wondering how exactly you filled out the activities section in the supplemental?
Did you paste your resume in the relevant sections or provide a personal narrative? The instructions say "brief" so I am a tad conflicted.
I just left a very summarized list and then wrote "see resume for more details" at the end. Of course, I also submitted my resume in the appropriate place on the application. Hope that helps, good luck!

Signed up for the GTDT location!! Anyone else with me?? Gosh I hope I get it...I want the small classroom experience.

Any current SMPs hear back from GUSOM yet?

Depends on the situation, but generally I'd say SMP is fine for <3.4 sGPA because in all honesty that's what the SMP should really be for. Medical classes are science classes, so it should really be to prove your ability in science-based medical classes more than just academics in general. If you have a 3.5 from a 3.2 English/History etc. and 3.8 science, the SMP isn't really addressing the actual problem in the application. :p

I received an acceptance to the program but I'm on the fence. Coupled with the fact that It'll cost around 60k all together has left me even more wary. I assume you wouldn't recommend it with my stats?
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA:3.51
MCAT: 28 (10PS/8VR/10BS), 31 (12PS/8VR/11BS)

I've had mixed advice from a bunch of people. Goro suggested that my MCAT was the problem (assuming because of the verbal), one school told me I need a larger variety of volunteering activities, other med students I talked to suggested I do the SMP to demonstrate that I can do the coursework.

I received an acceptance to the program but I'm on the fence. Coupled with the fact that It'll cost around 60k all together has left me even more wary. I assume you wouldn't recommend it with my stats?

I've had mixed advice from a bunch of people. Goro suggested that my MCAT was the problem (assuming because of the verbal), one school told me I need a larger variety of volunteering activities, other med students I talked to suggested I do the SMP to demonstrate that I can do the coursework.

I honestly think you should just do something unique (some special volunteering perhaps) to make your application stand out and apply really early and broadly.
I don't think you even need to retake the MCAT honestly.
And you definitely don't need to do the SMP (lucky you! hahaha)

Correct, and I'd agree with @babyface10111 . You could do the regular MS here if you wanted, but it really depends on if you're missing other points in your application. Your MCAT at 31 is fine, but I would say that a 8 won't be the most appealing thing, as it's often considered the most important section of the MCAT in determining success. Whether or not that's true, that seems to be the thought, and Goro's instinct is more on than the med students' IMO because of it. So just be aware of that. :)

Lol I emailed them 2 days ago asking for an update and they said they misplaced my app (how do you even do that?) and then got my acceptance today. Right before I was about to sign for an apartment in Boston. Well at least it was before and not after :/ time to be extremely confused and on the fence again D:

Edit:

Whoa just checked the site... Does anyone know what's going on with the new addition of the downtown campus????

Last edited:
Just got the email that I was assigned to the Downtown campus! Woohoo!!

Are most of you guys applying to medical school this year? They said on the site they strongly encourage us to apply this summer but that wasn't part of my original plan at all... Can I take this to mean there's not much post-SMP help from them?

Are most of you guys applying to medical school this year? They said on the site they strongly encourage us to apply this summer but that wasn't part of my original plan at all... Can I take this to mean there's not much post-SMP help from them?
why would you not apply? Once you graduate there are another year's students to assist/no special treatment from Georgetown med school the next year

they encourage us to apply this summer because during the SMP year we have the privilege of receiving an interview based on our performance in the SMP mostly (top 50% of the class). After the SMP we don't get the special consideration but they do/will continue to help us with the recommendation letters and support.

Whoa just checked the site... Does anyone know what's going on with the new addition of the downtown campus????

From what I've read/heard, and learned by talking with Amy, is the Downtown campus offers a different learning style - watching lectures at home and then coming to class and talking about it. ("Flipped" classroom). Also, it'll be a small class size, ~20 students, and there is a structured clinical volunteering aspect of it, which I see to be advantageous!

why would you not apply? Once you graduate there are another year's students to assist/no special treatment from Georgetown med school the next year

they encourage us to apply this summer because during the SMP year we have the privilege of receiving an interview based on our performance in the SMP mostly (top 50% of the class). After the SMP we don't get the special consideration but they do/will continue to help us with the recommendation letters and support.

Oh I didn't know about special treatment for their medical school. Thanks >_< I just know I'm not a competitive applicant without a year's worth of coursework and probably an MCAT retake too. Would it be weird to submit the AMCAS just for Georgetown and state schools? I don't want to waste money on applying to tons of schools when I know the first semester of courses won't be enough for me...

Would it be weird to submit the AMCAS just for Georgetown and state schools? I don't want to waste money on applying to tons of schools when I know the first semester of courses won't be enough for me...

Not weird at all. Probably what most people should do, too.

Oh I didn't know about special treatment for their medical school. Thanks >_< I just know I'm not a competitive applicant without a year's worth of coursework and probably an MCAT retake too. Would it be weird to submit the AMCAS just for Georgetown and state schools? I don't want to waste money on applying to tons of schools when I know the first semester of courses won't be enough for me...

Definitely not weird! A lot of SMP students did that this year with that same idea in mind. GUSOM puts SMPs in a special applicant pool in the year they're in the program, but you'd be in the general applicant pool the following year. If you can do really well in the program, GUSOM bases most of its decision off of the SMP GPA and they won't mind your poor undergrad record at all.

So does this mean that typically the top ~25 students in the SMP are those admitted to GUSOM, regardless of their MCAT score? I ask because I have solid recommendations/decent extracurriculars and a great upward trend during undergrad, but my MCAT score isn't too great haha. I'm really hoping that if I do well enough in the SMP I won't have to worry about retaking it :(

I'd probably defer to Amy and the program advisors for the bolded part above. GUSOM will select interviewees from the top half of the class and will eventually pick about 25 of them for admission, not necessarily the top 25 students. GUSOM values a high MCAT (I guess who doesn't? haha) and that's one reason why the SMP favors an 30+ MCAT for admission. Ideally, your MCAT should be near GUSOM's median score for best consideration, but I imagine there are some MCAT outliers in the program with a high SMP GPA who were offered an interview.

You probably want to retake if you're not at 30+, but I don't want to lead you astray with bad info. If you're accepted into the program, I strongly suggest contacting Amy and she can give you some insight. Good luck!