Georgetown SMP Class of 2006!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
guys,

where can i get an accurate academic calender of the SMP? Would it be identical to the M1's schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

calbear15 said:
guys,

where can i get an accurate academic calender of the SMP? Would it be identical to the M1's schedule?

in terms of when you have breaks (winter & spring), then yes, it is the same as the M1s. but, beware that when neuro is over and the M1s are done with their first year, you will still have the physio research paper to complete by july 1

in terms of classes, embryology, microscopic anatomy, physiology, endocrinology, biostats & epidemiology, and neuroscience follow the first years' schedule (cause you're in those classes with them). the grad classes will be interspersed between those.

Hey all...

I contacted the SMP about the G-town secondary. I was advised to wait to submit it. Apparently Dr. Mulroney is going to discuss the secondary during our orientation.

I don't know if this should have been common knowledge, but I didn't know it, so I thought I would post it generally in case anyone else out there was like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
imrep1972 said:
Hey all...

I contacted the SMP about the G-town secondary. I was advised to wait to submit it. Apparently Dr. Mulroney is going to discuss the secondary during our orientation.

I don't know if this should have been common knowledge, but I didn't know it, so I thought I would post it generally in case anyone else out there was like me.

thanks. i was going to post a question regarding that topic. i think i saw it on the 'smp student-made' website thats linked under 'accepted students' that advised to hoooold ooooff on the GU 2ndary until it's due.

i understand that we'd have more meaningful answers if we had a chance to live through gu smp for a few months first, but hopefully we also have some weight for having experienced all the greatness of their med school. id hate to be at a disadvantage for being 'late' and behind thousands of other applicants' 2ndaries (like me last year) who have no REAL idea of what gu is about.

see you all in a month! this is gonna be so awesome...and really hard...and awesome...and really hard.

eddaman said:
thanks. i was going to post a question regarding that topic. i think i saw it on the 'smp student-made' website thats linked under 'accepted students' that advised to hoooold ooooff on the GU 2ndary until it's due.

i understand that we'd have more meaningful answers if we had a chance to live through gu smp for a few months first, but hopefully we also have some weight for having experienced all the greatness of their med school. id hate to be at a disadvantage for being 'late' and behind thousands of other applicants' 2ndaries (like me last year) who have no REAL idea of what gu is about.

see you all in a month! this is gonna be so awesome...and really hard...and awesome...and really hard.

I believe that the way it works is they complete all of the regular interviews by the end of March, and then invite SMPers to interview in April (after the grades for Physiology have come out). Apparently they reserve a certain number of places in the med class for SMP people.

They actually won't even look at SMP applications until after you get your final Physiology grade, so definitely don't send it in until December.

Yo SMPers, so I was wondering if you could give some advice, especially for those who future SMPers who are Cali residents. How do you research secondaries? Almost every school asks why an applicant has applied to their school. Do you just go to the med school website and get the MSAR or are there better ways. Is it worth it to apply to public universites out of your state ie Medical College of Wisconsin, Virginia Univ and so on?

-Also, is it worth having a car in Georgetown?
-Damn, financial aid is a b***h, did you guys get out private loans when the stafford loans didn't cover what you wanted? If you're going to be borrowing what's the best way to go about it. Was GU financial aid office helpful?

AHappyCalBear said:
Yo SMPers, so I was wondering if you could give some advice, especially for those who future SMPers who are Cali residents. How do you research secondaries? Almost every school asks why an applicant has applied to their school. Do you just go to the med school website and get the MSAR or are there better ways. Is it worth it to apply to public universites out of your state ie Medical College of Wisconsin, Virginia Univ and so on?

you've just got to browse through the schools' websites. sometimes you have to dig kind of deep to find stuff. there are some public schools that are receptive to out of staters. i think physios have had success with uic and definitely vcu. i'm not sure if mcw is private or public, but i think they take a fair number of out of staters.

-Also, is it worth having a car in Georgetown?

i thought it was useful to go to the grocery store and to go to places like target that only exist in virginia. i know plenty of people who did not have a car, though. so, i don't think it's a must have. in my opinion, it is worth it to bring one if you have the opportunity. traffic in dc is HORRIBLE, so beware.

-Damn, financial aid is a b***h, did you guys get out private loans when the stafford loans didn't cover what you wanted? If you're going to be borrowing what's the best way to go about it. Was GU financial aid office helpful?

well, the max you can get from stafford is $18,500 a year anyway, so you're going to have to get some private loans in order to cover all of the tuition. i used citiassist and i took out about an extra $20,000. overall, that ended up working out very well for me. i know that others took out more than that though. the university provides a budget and i think most lenders will allow your to borrow as much as you need, in addition to the stafford $18,500, to meet that budget. i think it's around $50,000 for the year, but you can check it out with gu finaid. i haven't dealt with them myself, so i can't tell you whether or not they are helpful.

good luck. let me know if you guys have any more questions. i'm on the gu med waitlist still, so if things work out, i'll see you guys next month.

did you all check the NO box for 'transcript required' for your GU SMP listing in the AMCAS? cuz i checked YES and i think i screwed up....
already...

son of a...

i sent an email to AMCAS about my completion status being forever 'pending' because it wont get a GU transcript til next year....

eddaman said:
did you all check the NO box for 'transcript required' for your GU SMP listing in the AMCAS? cuz i checked YES and i think i screwed up....
already...

son of a...

i sent an email to AMCAS about my completion status being forever 'pending' because it wont get a GU transcript til next year....

You should have checked "No". You should give them a call.

how are you all handling the 2ndaries that require the letter from GU SMP. are you listing it down as one of the 'three' and leaving ur 2ndary incomplete until GU sends that letter after the first semester (wouldnt that make the 2ndary incomplete past most deadlines?) OR are you sending ur own 3 and noting that GU will send a 4th later on?

eddaman said:
how are you all handling the 2ndaries that require the letter from GU SMP. are you listing it down as one of the 'three' and leaving ur 2ndary incomplete until GU sends that letter after the first semester (wouldnt that make the 2ndary incomplete past most deadlines?) OR are you sending ur own 3 and noting that GU will send a 4th later on?

Hey, just wanted to congratulate all of you on being accepted to the SMP. I just finished the program this year, and I can tell you that you guys are in for a stressful, but really GREAT year! You will make some strong bonds with your classmates and learn so much that will help you for med school. Stay strong and try not to get caught up in the rumors and drama :)

Anyway, there are two letters the SMP will send out for you. One is the letter from Dr. Myers that goes out in the beginning which explains to the schools what the program is, etc. The second is a recommendation letter that's sent out later in the year and comes from your advisor (to whom you will be assigned in october, I think). I didn't write about my gtown recommendation in my secondaries and went ahead and sent my previous letters. This way, they didn't have to wait for the gtown letter and my file was completed a lot earlier. I sent the second letter later on though- they'll probably be expecting it since you have already indicated you're taking grad courses. Oh beware though, in order for your file to be complete at gtown SOM you have to have your advisor's letter in! But you don't have to worry about that secondary until winter break.

So that's what I did, but you may want to get some other opinions. Hope this helps and good luck to all of you!

sg4runner said:
Hey, just wanted to congratulate all of you on being accepted to the SMP. I just finished the program this year, and I can tell you that you guys are in for a stressful, but really GREAT year! You will make some strong bonds with your classmates and learn so much that will help you for med school. Stay strong and try not to get caught up in the rumors and drama :)

Anyway, there are two letters the SMP will send out for you. One is the letter from Dr. Myers that goes out in the beginning which explains to the schools what the program is, etc. The second is a recommendation letter that's sent out later in the year and comes from your advisor (to whom you will be assigned in october, I think). I didn't write about my gtown recommendation in my secondaries and went ahead and sent my previous letters. This way, they didn't have to wait for the gtown letter and my file was completed a lot earlier. I sent the second letter later on though- they'll probably be expecting it since you have already indicated you're taking grad courses. Oh beware though, in order for your file to be complete at gtown SOM you have to have your advisor's letter in! But you don't have to worry about that secondary until winter break.

So that's what I did, but you may want to get some other opinions. Hope this helps and good luck to all of you!

how has this years amcas gone for you? any good news to give us hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, are any of you gonna be moving into DC at the end of July? I'm gonna need some moving help (just unloading things from the truck). Obviously I'd help you out too.

I guess most of you are in roommate situations so you've got each other covered but if anyone is moving by himself/herself, please let me know.

calbear15 said:
guys, are any of you gonna be moving into DC at the end of July? I'm gonna need some moving help (just unloading things from the truck). Obviously I'd help you out too.

I guess most of you are in roommate situations so you've got each other covered but if anyone is moving by himself/herself, please let me know.

CalBear... I'm going to be getting into town prob around the 3rd of August. If we are there at the same time, I'd be happy to help you out. PM me...

eddaman said:
how has this years amcas gone for you? any good news to give us hope?

I'm going to be attending Drexel this year, so thankfully I don't have to reapply! Drexel is one of the schools, along with GW, NYMC, and a few others, that generally take a good number of physios; there are at least 5 other people in my class who I know I are going there too.

This is supposed to be looked at as a 2-year process, but for many, one year is enough (unless you want to go to a specific school, ie. the UCs, which usually like to see you apply AFTER you've finished the program).

Let me know if you have any more q's.

got an apt (basement room) on 37th between R and S. movin in August 2nd-ish. SEE YA THERE!

message me, we'll chat.

aim: vipered000

did most of you study 5 hours a day? what's the library like?

The Dahlgren medical library is pretty small with a couple of floors above the computer lab for you to study. The main floor was renovated during the second semester this year and I think it just opened a couple of weeks ago. Also, I believe the library is now open 24 hours. You can also go to the undergrad library if you prefer more space.

Thegandlighs said:
You can also go to the undergrad library if you prefer more space.

what with all those young co-eds running around, I might have a problem concentrating. where do all the ugly people study at? 'cuz that's where i'll be.

calbear15 said:
what with all those young co-eds running around, I might have a problem concentrating. where do all the ugly people study at? 'cuz that's where i'll be.

The med school library ;)

I split my time between dahlgren, the undergrad, and a couple other places. 5 hours a day is fairly accurate, though the number of hours I studied varied quite a bit. The med school has nice comfy chairs, but is a little cramped compared to the undergrad. You'll figure out what works best for you.

how are you all handling dsl/cable connections at ur respective apts/rooms?

Besides the library, do you guys know of any non-starbucks coffee places nearby to study? Not that I don't like starbucks, but I'm hoping that there is a chill coffee place like Java Monkey back in ATL that doesn't charge an assload for coffee and offers free wireless and stuff like that.

Hey guys, I am considering moving into a place in Georgetown and there's another room available ina 4 story house for $1,000 + the cost of utilities. The place is close to Foxhall and Macarthur. PM if interested.

PapaDosh said:
Besides the library, do you guys know of any non-starbucks coffee places nearby to study? Not that I don't like starbucks, but I'm hoping that there is a chill coffee place like Java Monkey back in ATL that doesn't charge an assload for coffee and offers free wireless and stuff like that.

There's a really cool coffee shop in Arlington called Common Grounds (I looked up the address- it's 3211 Wilson Blvd- less than 3 miles from gtown). It's got a great atmosphere for studying, and I'm not usually the type to study in coffee shops. I'm pretty sure they have wireless too.

Also, if you think you're gonna go insane from being in the library (as happened to me), you can go to other places on campus like the Leavey Center or Caduceus Lounge to study. Leavey is nice cuz there's the school coffee shop and a nice little store called Vital Vittles where you can get snacks, and Caduceus has great couches where you can take naps... not to condone bad study habits, hee hee. You'll figure out what's best for you, but one thing that did seem to be universal among my classmates and I is that it's good to change up your study environment once in a while.

Good luck!

Does anyone know how to get a NetID/GOcard?? I'm confused about the process.

femme said:
Does anyone know how to get a NetID/GOcard?? I'm confused about the process.

don't they e-mail you your netid? i might be wrong, but i thought that's how i got mine last year.

as for the gocard, when you get to dc, just go to the gocard office on campus and they will take your picture and make up a card for you right there.

redsoxfan said:
i am so bummed. i called ms. cabiness earlier in the week and she told me that i was on the wait list... she added that i shouldnt expect to hear until LATE JUNE and if i have other plans, to keep them. i dont know what to do b/c i was sort of counting on getting in (based primarily on ms cabiness' words that there should be no reason for me not to get in). anyhow, right now i am waitlisted at 1 med school that begins late aug and accepted to RFU's AP program, which begins in July. now that g-town doesnt seem to be an option, it complicates everything. this whole waiting thing is making me insane...

hey i know EXACTLY how you feel. this whole thing is a waiting game. i sent in my application in january and i'm still waitlisted with about two weeks left to hear from them. i really want to get into this program... not sure how they're working this whole waitlist thing. sigh.

it's not over till it's over, guys. i remember meeting a few people during orientation who had gotten in off the waitlist the week before classes started, even some during orientation. when ms. cabiness asked everyone who had not yet gotten registration stuff to raise their hands (because they had just recently gotten in), a whole bunch of people did. so, all is not lost. best of luck. i hope you guys get in.

medstylee said:
it's not over till it's over, guys. i remember meeting a few people during orientation who had gotten in off the waitlist the week before classes started, even some during orientation. when ms. cabiness asked everyone who had not yet gotten registration stuff to raise their hands (because they had just recently gotten in), a whole bunch of people did. so, all is not lost. best of luck. i hope you guys get in.

aww, thanks. no one knows what you're going through like other pre-meds. :)

Thanks for the info that people get off the waitlist pretty close to orientation. I was waitlisted at GU (my first choice) and accepted to UMDNJ-GSBS. I am hoping to get pulled off the GU waitlist. It is really hard not knowing what your chances are or where you might end up in a month.
Has anyone heard how much the waitlist at the SMP is moving this year?
Thanks!

I'm visiting DC in a couple of weeks to look at apartments and I'm trying to set up meetings to see places in all the recommeneded areas in the survival guide (Burleith, Rosslyn, Foxhall, Dupont Circle). However, I've never been to DC so I have no clue what to expect. Someone advised me to look for places in Alexandria and Arlington. Does anyone know anything about these areas? Specific streets that would be convenient to Georgetown? I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

MustaphaMond said:
I'm visiting DC in a couple of weeks to look at apartments and I'm trying to set up meetings to see places in all the recommeneded areas in the survival guide (Burleith, Rosslyn, Foxhall, Dupont Circle). However, I've never been to DC so I have no clue what to expect. Someone advised me to look for places in Alexandria and Arlington. Does anyone know anything about these areas? Specific streets that would be convenient to Georgetown? I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Alexandria is too far, in my opinion, to live in and go to gtown for the year. Most people live in either the gtown area itself (foxhall, glover park) or in rosslyn, which is a part of arlington, va. I lived in rosslyn and found it to be very convenient (as did a good number of my classmates). It's located just across the potomac from gtown and has its own metro stop, not to mention buses, and the GUTS (gtown's free shuttle bus to campus). It also has a safeway nearby, and fast food restaurants (whereas gtown doesn't), bars in arlington and on m street are close too. There are plenty of complexes in Rosslyn you can look at like River Place, Rosslyn Heights, etc.

As for Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan, I wouldn't go there as my first choice. I knew someone who lived in Adams Morgan, and as nice as it is to be near downtown DC, it's not a fun commute to gtown, so I would stay closer to the school.

There are many streets you can live on- basically anywhere from a little west of 44th to 29th street (from west to east) and from rosslyn to up to glover park (from south to north) would be a good location to live. That doesn't mean you can't live outside of that, but that's what I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

Anyone get off the waitlist very recently? I think getting pulled off the waitlist occurs on specific days (maybe I'm being paranoid) so I'm curious as to whether anyone has heard anything recently. :p

Not only is Alexandria far away, the rent prices do not decrease either. Arlington is going to cost you the same for rent and half the transportation cost (I went apartment shopping last week). I found a really nice place in Crystal City (3 metro stops away).

Touchdown said:
Not only is Alexandria far away, the rent prices do not decrease either. Arlington is going to cost you the same for rent and half the transportation cost (I went apartment shopping last week). I found a really nice place in Crystal City (3 metro stops away).

Crystal City may seem close since it is only 4 metro stops away from Rosslyn, but those are the longest 4 metro stops in all of DC. Check out the map:

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

You can also live off the orange line in Court House or Clarendon.

Actually most of your time spent on a Metro train is spent in the station loading/unloading, if you check out www.wmata.com youll find out all that extra track on the blue line only adds up to one minute difference between the orange line station GMU to Rosslyn.

Going to Crystal City allowed me to be within walking distance to 2 Metro stops, 2 malls, underground parking (for free with rent,) washer/dryer in unit and easy access to 395 I honestly couldnt believe I found this place.

For those that are thinking about living at locations that require riding the metro everyday, realize that the cheapest roundtrip fare is $2.70. If you ride it five times a week, that traveling expense can add up over time. Transportation cost is something to consider.

ill be arriving in dc on august 3rd with my life packed into a handfull of suitcases. anybody already gonna be there? we can go to walmart/target/whatever they have over there together to buy the store, find the nearest safeway, etc etc.

rock on.

-ed

truckibear said:
Anyone get off the waitlist very recently? I think getting pulled off the waitlist occurs on specific days (maybe I'm being paranoid) so I'm curious as to whether anyone has heard anything recently. :p

i got off the waitlist this morning. i have until tomorrow morning to decide. i have a few other options to consider, none of them a US med school...

I will be in DC this weekend to apartment shop. I am really set on a one bedroom place but I'd be willing to share an apartment with someone who is responsible with bills and who is also relatively clean. I had my fair share of roommates as an undergrad who ruined my living situation and I just don't want to go through that again. PM me if you're interested.

j04177117 said:
i got off the waitlist this morning. i have until tomorrow morning to decide. i have a few other options to consider, none of them a US med school...

I wonder if you got tiggedytooth's spot? LOL He was deciding between EVMS and GU, and according to his post he chose EVMS. This is how anxious i am to hear if the list is moving..I am reading other posts to see if people are dropping out. :)
I am so glad to hear the waitlist is moving. I am still hoping to hear from them this week. Otherwise it is off to UMDNJ-GSBS for me. Has anoyone else heard fo the waitlist moving???

Congratulations on getting off the list!
Marcia

marciah said:
I wonder if you got tiggedytooth's spot? LOL He was deciding between EVMS and GU, and according to his post he chose EVMS. This is how anxious i am to hear if the list is moving..I am reading other posts to see if people are dropping out. :)
I am so glad to hear the waitlist is moving. I am still hoping to hear from them this week. Otherwise it is off to UMDNJ-GSBS for me. Has anoyone else heard fo the waitlist moving???

Congratulations on getting off the list!
Marcia

Well, I gues my own question was answered ...they called me just a little while ago. I am in! I am very excited.

So now the next steps...withdrawing from UMDNJ-GSBS, finding housing, figuring out financial aid, etc.

marciah said:
Well, I gues my own question was answered ...they called me just a little while ago. I am in! I am very excited.

So now the next steps...withdrawing from UMDNJ-GSBS, finding housing, figuring out financial aid, etc.

Congrats.

did anybody else only get 18.5k for financial aid offered? thats BS. way to help me out, private school.

eddaman said:
did anybody else only get 18.5k for financial aid offered? thats BS. way to help me out, private school.

Yeah, I had to apply for a private loan. It's not cheap.

hey, what's the link for the yahoo message board? thanks.

jmmmmm said:
The med school library ;)

I split my time between dahlgren, the undergrad, and a couple other places. 5 hours a day is fairly accurate, though the number of hours I studied varied quite a bit. The med school has nice comfy chairs, but is a little cramped compared to the undergrad. You'll figure out what works best for you.

Only five hours on average? I heard people telling me that it is a really difficult program so that we must be prepared to be lacking sleep for the year! Scares me as there's only about two weeks left until it all starts... :eek:

gusmp06 said:
Only five hours on average? I heard people telling me that it is a really difficult program so that we must be prepared to be lacking sleep for the year! Scares me as there's only about two weeks left until it all starts... :eek:

no, its about efficient studying. If i averaged my studying, it would have been about 2-3 hours per day on weekdays only.

Im a crammer so my style was to go to all lectures and relax.. and then study for 12 hours a day for the four or so days leading up to the exam. eight days for neuroanatomy. It worked fine for me. Everyone is different so find out what works for you!