Georgetown SMP or Mount Sinai MSBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LA721

Reaction score
Hi! I was recently accepted into both georgetown and mount sinai's special master program. I have a MCAT of a 506 (126 in C/P, 125 in CARS, 126 in B/B, and 129 in P/S), so I would like to retake it at some point. My GPA is a 3.5 and my science GPA is 3.25.

I would have retake my MCAT the summer after the georgetown program because the program is too rigorous to study for it during the semesters. So I wasn't sure if I would be able to apply to medical school for the next cycle in time, if my MCAT was taken next July.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on which program is better?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure what the goal of the MSBS program is. Admission into medical school or getting your PhD? The SMP sole purpose is to get you into medical school. But with your MCAT being less than a 510, they would recommend you retake your MCAT before applying to medical schools and I don’t know if you’d get an interview at GUSOM if you rocked the program with that score. What did Amy or Dr. Mulroney say? I’d ask them. In my opinion, I would work for the next year as a nursing assistant or a phlebotomist 30+ hours a week and volunteer at a homeless shelter once a week. Then during this year, prepare like crazy for the MCAT and take it next Spring. If you score a 510+, attend an SMP.

Amy recommended focusing on the SMP program and taking the MCAT in July and applying then to medical school. Mount sinai MSBS program is for MD and PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind if I ask how long it takes to hear back from Mount Sinai? I applied two months ago and still haven't heard from them.