Georgetown SMP or MPH from JHU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nafis64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this cycle and received 3 interviews late in the cycle and so far waiting to hear back for an acceptance (keeping fingers crossed). Already wait listed at one. I am really hoping on getting in this cycle, but if not my backup plan was to apply SMPs which I got into at tufts and Georgetown, and MPH schools (only applied to Johns hopkins and got in). If worst comes to worst I need to reserve my seat at either Gtown or JHU for next year. Now here are the specifics: my gpa and mcat probably were holding me back because I applied broadly to MD schools. GPA ~3.45, and science is lower. MCAT is low 30s. but I am on an upward trend GPA and did a postbac last year raising it.

I am super excited and happy to get into Johns Hopkins for an MPH because it is such an awesome school (#1 ranked) and I've been working in public health since I graduated for 2 years. Now, I envision myself getting an MPH during my med school career, and it would fit in my overall application very well. I would really want to go there, but med is school is my main goal and I heard that an MPH might not help as much as post-bac work or an SMP. At the same time, i feel that paying so much money for an SMP which is essentially a worthless degree on its own is not worth it.

I want to apply this summer and not wait around, so both options are one year which is good. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your stats are slightly below average--but it's pretty good compared to some of the GPAs you'll find in the post-bacc forum.

Since you're a little under average, make sure other aspects of your application are glowing--you'll need to stand out.

I'd probably lean towards the MPH at Hopkins since it might help you stand out a little. With a 3.45 GPA, I wouldn't do Georgetown--too much risk for your GPA.

You are right on the boundary for me.

I'd say do the MPH from Hopkins provided that you are sciGPA is good. If your sciGPA sucks then you should do the SMP. An MPH won't help convince ppl you can do upper level hard sciences whereas an SMP will.
But you have already done 1 yr of post bac and you say your sciGPA is lower than 3.4; thus i'd say go do the SMP because the MPH isn't going to correct a lower sciGPA or convince anyone you can do upper level sciences. If you had been a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.7sciGPA, I would have said do the MPH.

Also Xcited - an graduate degree's GPA does not affect your ugGPA thus there is no risk to affect GPA for the OP as they are recorded separately

Members don't see this ad :)
Also Xcited - an graduate degree's GPA does not affect your ugGPA thus there is no risk to affect GPA for the OP as they are recorded separately

I think he meant "there is too much risk in doing the Gtown SMP, given your current ugGPA".

I replied to your post in pre allo but I'd definitely do the mph, you don't need the smp and sound like you have an interest in public health.

Hey Guys

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and sGPA of 3.57 with 29 MCAT. I did apply to couple schools last year but it was too late, late Nov. Would recommend SMP's or should I just go for certificate program at JHU to "glow" a bit more (with of course a better MCAT)?
Thank you all in advance