Georgetown SMP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are in or did or are going to do the SMP, what is the financial aid process like? I will need to take out all the money in loans, but how exactly do I go about this? I sent in my FAFSA and supplement, but will I need to apply to the lenders on my own? Also, will it be possible for me to get loans for living expenses as well? My parents don't really have anything to support me with, it's more or less all on me...will they give me enough loans? Which lenders might I want to contact? Tuition this year is about $26,000, and I anticipate at least $10,000 for living. I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS, so thank you in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question...but I'm lazy and I still havn't filled out my FAFSA. Maybe we should post on the physio forum...

The financial aid office at Georgetowwn will take care of your stafford loans to cover the tuition plus some. The school goes through Sallie Mae for there loans so all you need to do is sign the promisory note once your aid package is set up by the school. Its all very easy once you fill out the fafsa. If you need extra money for living expenses then go through a lender that Sallie Mae does business with and get a seperate loan...thats all on you so you're gonna need to get that in line w/o the help of the aid office or with only their guidance. I went through Fleet national bank.
Have a good time in DC, the Tombs is over rated...I suggest Mr. Smiths if your on M...its laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been emailing back and forth with someone in financial aid and they estimate that the yearly budget is around $48,000 for the year, tuition and fees are about $28,000 and the rest makes up living expenses etc. They are really very helpful, you should give them a call.

why would it be $48,000 for the year...would you really need $20,000 for living? I would think I'd need like $12,000 for that, or am I just way off?

An apartment alone can run you 12k a year...