Georgetown SMP requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guptaso2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Georgetown's SMP program, is it pretty much like a mini med school application? Are they looking for the same things like MCATs, ECs, etc ...

I'm asking because I've taken the GRE, not the MCAT. Also, while I've got some decent research exp. (1 pub. 1st author) I have almost no clinical experience.

I originally was going to get an MS in Elec. Eng. with focus on BME, but alot of people suggested I do an SMP instead. I noticed that Georgetown has just started accepting apps to their SMP program and thought I'd ask you guys what it takes to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

i did a search before, and htey discussed requirements before. i dont remember if they required mcat or not, but obviously their stats were much lower than for med school admissions.

i think the advantage in taking smp is minimal unless you were a non-science major or you had a 2.0 gpa and looking for some lucky break. many of my science courses have been more advanced than at smp, so i wouldnt learn anything there. i think if i'm rejected, i'd do better just getting a job as a lifeguard and chilling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the stats for past year's matriculants to Georgetown SMP were: GPA 3.2 and MCAT 31. Minium GPA cutoff is 3.0

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Georgetown's SMP program, is it pretty much like a mini med school application? Are they looking for the same things like MCATs, ECs, etc ...

I'm asking because I've taken the GRE, not the MCAT. Also, while I've got some decent research exp. (1 pub. 1st author) I have almost no clinical experience.

I originally was going to get an MS in Elec. Eng. with focus on BME, but alot of people suggested I do an SMP instead. I noticed that Georgetown has just started accepting apps to their SMP program and thought I'd ask you guys what it takes to get in.

as long as you have a mcat ~30 and 3.0 or above, you should be fine. Quite honestly, i dont think they care at all about ECs since most pre-meds who will be applying to this program all have some volunteering/research/clinical experience under their belt. I think the program does its job of getting students into med school for the most part, but after graduating I couldnt help but think its primary purpose is to serve as a major cash cow for gtown med. anyways, best thing you can do is apply as early as possible. good luck.