Georgetown SMP vs. Drexel IMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teluguman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got accepted into both Georgetown's SMP and Drexel's IMS programs. I also applied to Temple's, but I won't know if I am accepted until June, which is must passed the deadlines to submit a "placeholder" amount of $500 for each program.

Has anyone reading this gone through either program? Would you be able to either talk about each program individually or compare one program to the other based on what they know or have heard..?

I have visited both places and found that I like Georgetown a LOT better than Drexel's area. I also saw what the video-feed of the IMS med classes look like and it didn't seem too appealing - it was just a projection of the professor's computer screen, it never actually showed the professor. Also, the guy that took me around at Drexel was doing his second year masters there and didn't seem too ecstatic about the IMS program in contrast to what I saw from students I met at Georgetown.

I have less than a week to send in the check, so any information/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the video feed really that bad? Personally I don't think whether you see the professor during the lecture would really make a difference as long as you have someone that you can ask questions to.

Well, the quality of it is not bad at all. It's just that I feel like I would rather have a Professor in front of me. I guess I forgot to mention this, but another main reason I'm confused is because I had originally liked Georgetown a lot more, but then I found that Drexel's IMS students have a 70% rate of getting into med school after one year, and 90% after two years! Whereas, in Georgetown, those numbers are about 50% and 85% from what I remember hearing/reading. And, given my circumstances, I can only look at the "after one year" numbers.., and it seems like a lot more people get in from Drexel. I asked the guy that took me around at Drexel and he said that it's really hard to get good grades at Drexel and the mean is roughly around 3.0. I believe the mean was roughly 3.4 at Georgetown. But then again, should I be looking at the means and grades or the percentage of students that get into med school after one year?

I'm just torn between a great-name school/area (Georgetown) and a higher percentage of students getting into med school (Drexel).. thanks for helping me out on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the numbers may be slightly biased for the programs. Usually they leave out the people that did not apply or that dropped out. I think if we include those people then the percentage will go down a lot. I heard about some people getting F's in the program at Drexel. I am not sure about Gtown.

On a side note do you know when Drexel's program starts with the Orientation and stuff?

I think the numbers may be slightly biased for the programs. Usually they leave out the people that did not apply or that dropped out. I think if we include those people then the percentage will go down a lot. I heard about some people getting F's in the program at Drexel. I am not sure about Gtown.

On a side note do you know when Drexel's program starts with the Orientation and stuff?

FYI: Average GPA/MCAT of Drexel IMS is 3.2/30.5, and for Gtown SMP is 3.3/31.

Both start around August 7th.

Maybe a plus: Drexel is $10k cheaper, and rent in the area is 800/month compared to 1000/month in DC.

How are the neighborhoods?

Never underestimate an SMPs ability to fudge their numbers.

Percentages can include only the people who ever apply and not the people who ultimately are told not to.

DO schools and Caribbean MDs are also often included into high percentages which is not the same as American MD.

Never underestimate an SMPs ability to fudge their numbers.

Percentages can include only the people who ever apply and not the people who ultimately are told not to.

DO schools and Caribbean MDs are also often included into high percentages which is not the same as American MD.

Yea, that's a very good point. I remember asking the guy at Drexel where students end up going for med school out of IMS and he said a lot go to Drexel or their respective state schools, whereas I have read on these forums that G-town students typically go to G-town, Drexel, or NYMC (which I would love because it's really close to home!).

and, orient03 - the neighborhood is faaaaar nicer at G-town than Drexel. Regardless..., if you're ever in the area you should go check out G-town. I fell in love with the place within an hour and really felt at home.

What would you guys pick? - G-town or Drexel?

Also.. I just read through another very similar thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=124679) - didn't really clear things up for me. I guess I'm still leaning towards G-town, I don't know...

I've posted in a few of these forums before as well... I think the Drexel program is great, but I think if you have the opportunity to go to Georgetown you should. There are many reasons for this here are just a few:
- Sit in the same classroom with med students, directly with a professor
- Wider range of schools that accept their graduates
- Nicer neighborhood
- The oldest, and the first SMP
- Asked an admissions officer, "Excuse me, do you like well upon SMPs?" She answered,"Oh, you mean like at Georgetown?"
She could have said any other school but she didn't, (Btw- this was a school in CA so obviously the G-town name carries well)

Sure there are cons, but these pro's were enough to sway me to Georgetown... Hope to see you at Georgetown this Fall!!

Yea, that's a very good point. I remember asking the guy at Drexel where students end up going for med school out of IMS and he said a lot go to Drexel or their respective state schools, whereas I have read on these forums that G-town students typically go to G-town, Drexel, or NYMC (which I would love because it's really close to home!).

and, orient03 - the neighborhood is faaaaar nicer at G-town than Drexel. Regardless..., if you're ever in the area you should go check out G-town. I fell in love with the place within an hour and really felt at home.

What would you guys pick? - G-town or Drexel?

Also.. I just read through another very similar thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=124679) - didn't really clear things up for me. I guess I'm still leaning towards G-town, I don't know...

Seeing as the deposit for both are due next week, I have decided on G-town (more well-known, better school). But the wait on this cycle continues. :luck:

Nice nice.. good to meet a couple people that will be in G-town. I feel like that's going to be my decision as well. I guess I have a couple days to decide.

Ahh.. I'm already getting excited about G-town.. it's a GREAT place! Drexel just doesn't give me that feeling.

And all the things that DrJD said for reasons to go to G-town were what I was thinking as well, especially the fact that there is a wider range of schools to which students matriculate from G-town than from Drexel.

I'll post my decision as soon as I mail in a check.

Well, the quality of it is not bad at all. It's just that I feel like I would rather have a Professor in front of me. I guess I forgot to mention this, but another main reason I'm confused is because I had originally liked Georgetown a lot more, but then I found that Drexel's IMS students have a 70% rate of getting into med school after one year, and 90% after two years! Whereas, in Georgetown, those numbers are about 50% and 85% from what I remember hearing/reading. And, given my circumstances, I can only look at the "after one year" numbers.., and it seems like a lot more people get in from Drexel. I asked the guy that took me around at Drexel and he said that it's really hard to get good grades at Drexel and the mean is roughly around 3.0. I believe the mean was roughly 3.4 at Georgetown. But then again, should I be looking at the means and grades or the percentage of students that get into med school after one year?

This is a lie. I can promise you that. I have no idea where those numbers come from, but I'm a student in the IMS program and I can tell you that 70% of my classmates have not gotten into medical school. G-town's numbers are fudged, too, in a certain way (it's only from students who apply, not the number in the program).

G-town and Drexel both have strengths and weaknesses. Living anywhere in the DC metro region is going to cost you a lot more than going to Drexel. G-town have NO parking for students, and there is no metro nearby, so you have to rely on buses to get to class. In order to walk, rent will cost you at least a grand. Of course, Drexel's in on the edge of Center City, and the crime rate starts to go way up starting about one block north. The closest shooting this year was only a few blocks away.

Drexel's masters is two years, whereas G-town's is one. Good or bad? Well, if you don't get in after the first year, what are you going to do? You could stay in school (Drexel) or get a job (G-town). Which one do you want? You take more medical school courses at Drexel, some of the G-town ones are just graduate courses (do you care?). Is money an issue? Does the $10,000+ tuition difference matter? Where do you want to go to med school? Drexel, G-town, somewhere else? Keep all these in mind.

But please don't make your decision based on the numbers. It's called lying with statistics.....

This is a lie. I can promise you that. I have no idea where those numbers come from, but I'm a student in the IMS program and I can tell you that 70% of my classmates have not gotten into medical school. G-town's numbers are fudged, too, in a certain way (it's only from students who apply, not the number in the program).

G-town and Drexel both have strengths and weaknesses. Living anywhere in the DC metro region is going to cost you a lot more than going to Drexel. G-town have NO parking for students, and there is no metro nearby, so you have to rely on buses to get to class. In order to walk, rent will cost you at least a grand. Of course, Drexel's in on the edge of Center City, and the crime rate starts to go way up starting about one block north. The closest shooting this year was only a few blocks away.

Drexel's masters is two years, whereas G-town's is one. Good or bad? Well, if you don't get in after the first year, what are you going to do? You could stay in school (Drexel) or get a job (G-town). Which one do you want? You take more medical school courses at Drexel, some of the G-town ones are just graduate courses (do you care?). Is money an issue? Does the $10,000+ tuition difference matter? Where do you want to go to med school? Drexel, G-town, somewhere else? Keep all these in mind.

But please don't make your decision based on the numbers. It's called lying with statistics.....

Very good points. They do say somewhere that "70% of applicants who successfully complete the program - avg GPA of a B or higher - are accepted into medical school." The average GPA for the SMP class is also B --> a much lower chance for those below the average. Therefore, the actual percentage accepted is <70%.

Isn't Drexel's program one year? IMS

IMS is the certificate program. In order to get the masters, you have to do a second year with research. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (hell, most residency programs want research) but it's something to keep in mind. I figure it works out ok, because once you're an MD nobody really gives a rat's butt whether or not you have an additional masters (hence, just a certificate isn't an issue).