Georgetown SMP vs Rosalind Franklin BMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which SMP?


  • Total voters
    24

DancinSarah

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently deciding between these two SMPs. I have about a week to choose. Would appreciate any advice. Undergrad GPA 3.3, MCAT 34 but its expired and I am retaking at the end of July. Good ECs, LORs, research etc.

Georgetown:
+ location (DC sounds awesome)
+ reputation as SMP
- costs ~$8k more tuition, housing/living much more expensive
- not very good linkage to Georgetown SMP (1 in 6, or ~15% gets in)
- program sounds harder in terms of coursework

RFU:
+ cost (save $8k - $15k over the year)
+ pretty strong linkage to RFUMS (70%, although I hear this is decreasing?)
+ curriculum seems easier
- location (decent, honestly location doesn't matter THAT much to me)
- if RFUMS doesn't accept me, then Georgetown would have been better IMO
 
I don't think it will be wise to think that one smp program will be easier than the other. If you could get 34+ again on your MCAT, I think gtown SMP can offer variety of schools to choose from. I do not hear people getting into other schools from RFUBMS.
 
+ pretty strong linkage to RFUMS

The 2010 BMS class started out with ~90 students, 60 or so interviewed and only ~45 were accepted, so if you finish the program 45/60 isn't so bad, but it ends up being 50%. We'll find out this August what the acceptance rate for this year's BMS class was, but just as a note: fewer people left BMS this year than last year for whatever reason