Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so who's going next year? Also, who has been there? Any tips as far as living, studying, books to get, etc? I sent in my FAFSA to them...will I be able to get all the loans I need before I get there in August (b/c there's no way I can put up the semester's tuition out-of-pocket)? All replies welcome!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question, do u have to have completed all the premed prereqs before applying to the GT MSP program? I will be applying next spring and I plan to do my 2nd semester of physics and my 2nd semester of english that semester while i am applying to GT. Will this cause any problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance e-mail today - pretty quick turn around time. My file was complete the middle of last week. Anyhow, I'm still on two MD waitlists, but if those don't work out, I'll be joining you guys there next year for sure. It feels good to actually have some sort of a plan for my life now! :thumbup:

is this program competitive? is it better to apply early?

Yeah, I'll see you guys there.

Krichan - yes and yes

NRAI2001 said:
I have a question, do u have to have completed all the premed prereqs before applying to the GT MSP program? I will be applying next spring and I plan to do my 2nd semester of physics and my 2nd semester of english that semester while i am applying to GT. Will this cause any problems?

????????????????

I'm pretty sure you would be ok. It might delay your application. Would you take the GRE? Dr. myers would be able to give you a definite answer.

NRAI - Honestly, this is kinda a tricky question to answer. I suggest you email the head of the program, Dr. Myers. My guess is that it won't be a huge issue, except that without that physics, you can't really take the MCAT and the MCAT does matter. It also probably matters how close you are to the cutoff criteria (3.0 GPA/27 MCAT). They will probably wait to see your physics grade come out if you are close to that 3.0. Once again, just my guess. I stongly advise you to write Dr. Myers, he is very responsive and helpful.

I was still planning on takign the mcat this coming august. I have about a 3.4 gpa right now and hopefully it will be around 3.5 when I apply. I am usually good at taking standardized tests so I think i can get into the low to mid 30s.

I G'town SMP still accepting apps? Should I bother applying this late in the game. The pre-med advisor at my school sucks and I didn't find out about it until recently. It might take me another week or two to get my LOR's together.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to wish all you future SMPers good luck! I graduated 2003 from Gtown and am currently at USUHS. It is a very rigorous program but if you stay focussed it is fun! PM me for any advice/inspirational quotes/congratulatory stuff :)

Geoff

I got in today too...I will be there unless I get off one of the 2 waitlists I am on. Feels good to know where I may be next year. Does anyone know how much the deposit is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email acceptance today!! See you guys in August!

Congratz to the acceptances!
I'm sorry I took a long time to answer the PMs...we just finished a big exam and paper. Anyways, I'm going to compile a big message and just email it here since many of you asked for various info.

Geoff

Yea congrats everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deposit is $500.00 and it's applied to your tuition once you start the program.

First off, I'm really sorry it took me so long to do this! I am at USUHS...and the general rule of thumb is...if the government can make something (i.e. medical education) really hard, convoluted, and inefficient, it WILL! They gave us a ton of tests, stupid classes, and mandatory military events :(

Congratulations to all who made it into SMP! Here is some helpful information put together by people from my class: http://www.georgetown.edu/users/lnr/physios/survivalguide/introduction.htm

For those of you who are still applying, don't worry! My friend applied really late (I think late July) and still got in and got some loans before school started. They say they want a 3.0 and 27 MCAT but in reality it varies a lot. I know people who failed several pre-med classes (retaken) and still got in. Also, MCAT varies. A lot of people take the MCATs the weekend before classes start...they WANT you to apply during your SMP year to medical school. But I also know people who have taken their MCAT after SMP year (and they probably aced most of it). After the 5+ hour Neuro final, I thought to myself that the MCATs are a joke! For myself...I had 3.43 total GPA (but only 3.0 science - I bombed Chemistry and Biology) and 31 mcat.

A good rule of thumb for anyone thinking about going through SMP is to have most of your application squared away. Letters of Recommendations from undergrad, MCAT, AMCAS, transcripts. That will give you time to focus on studying - because you will be studying for about 11 months straight. But if not, don't worry - sometimes it takes 2 years to get into medical school. They say 50% get in first time and 80% get in second time. Plus, they take 20 students into Georgetown medicine, but let me warn you guys right now: I wanted Georgetown so bad when I started and I was really hurt when they turned me down. Don't get your hopes too high about getting into Gtown. Just focus on getting A's whenever possible. In the bottom line, medical schools only look for the grade in these postbacc courses :( Sadly, most schools don't realize that most of our courses are MEDICAL - not graduate.

Here's a breakdown of the courses/texts/hints.
GENERAL HINT: ALWAYS BUY THE NOTESETS AND OLD EXAMS! They cost about 200 bucks at the beginning of the semester, but they are worth it. Sometimes professors don't put all their information in their notes. Notesets are student-run subscription..and they do a good job picking up what the professors forget to put in. Also, course notes are about 25 bucks a pop. So make sure you have cash. Don't be afraid to spend money this year. It will be worth it.

Embryology - is one tough class for anyone who hasn't had development biology. Only one test with 150 questions in 20 lectures. It moves fast and don't be afraid when you get that C. It's tough b/c we don't get gross anatomy - which helps a lot in seeing structures. This class tests your 3-D abilities. Remember, everything is from 3 tissue types - ectoderm, mesoderm, endoderm. Remember the timing of each major event. Remember the bad stuff (low surfactant, spina bifidas, teratogens). BOOK: LARSEN's EMBRYOLOGY and the Board Review Series: Embryology

Microbiology/Immunology - is tough for anyone who hasn't had immunology and microbiology (duh!). Immunology, like embryology, is tough in that few undergrad classes prepare you for the detailed interactions you need to know. Notecards. Draw pictures. Chalkboards. 2 tests - 1 on immunolgy; 1 on microbiology. BOOK: HOW THE IMMUNE SYSTEM WORKS (i think that's what it's called)...or any board review book on immunology. don't bother with microbiology review books - they are above what we need to know.

Histology - tests 3-D knowledge and function of tissues. There are no notesets for this class - so force yourself to go to each class to make sure the professors didn't add stuff. I know Dr. Culty's lectures (particularly BONES) left out some stuff. Plus no one can understand what she is saying, so sit up front and have your coffee ready. 2 tests with 2 practical exams. Basically practical exams are 50 seconds per question - a slide will pop up on the projector and you have to identify the cell. BOOK: any review book on histology. also don't bother using that stupid gartner atlas. it sucks and i never used it. find some other atlas. Junqueria book is awesome - but i recommend getting an older 9th edition...it is smaller and has the same stuff as the 10th edition.

CAM - is an elective. Take it. It's fun and relaxing. Complementary and Alternative Medicine. If not, then that's ok, too.

CMP (sherman's class). I love Dr. Sherman, but honestly it's hard to hear him from way up where i usually sit. most people skip his class for various reasons. his notes are a little scattered i thought. basically just pretend you love biochemistry and cell signalling. draw lots of diagrams of reactions and their regulation. Importantly, Sherman does a good job with insulin and blood-glucose levels in response to feeding/fasting/starvation/etc. That material will be covered in medical school countless times again. Cell signalling is also very very ubiquitous throughout medicine...especially in pharmacology. Master them now (you'll probably get an A, too). BOOK - don't bother getting a biochem book unless you like having new biochem books. maybe a review book on biochemistry would help first-timers in biochem. but i used the notesets extensively and drew my own diagrams.

January is when you start getting interviews. Interviews typically last until April. Don't be afraid if your interview is late. Most people from SMP get in off waitlists - that's b/c admissions ppl wait ot see our grades from SMP. Just focus on getting the grade, doing well on interviews (don't get nervous!) and the rest will fall in its place. if you don't get in htis year, just try again :)

Physiology is done well at Georgetown. It's also the name of your degree! Do well in this course (Unfortunately, I was somewhat apathetic of physiology). Draw pictures. Get the review book. I ended up selling my Boron book b/c I never used it. Guyton sucks b/c it is oversimplified; Boron is the opposite. I think 3 tests. It is also 7 credits!!!

Endocrinology is about a month long. THe first test is like 1 week after the first class! Do well...pretend you like endocrinology. It's actually fun. I don't recommend getting any new books. The notesets do fine.

Neuroscience is a killer. For one, we dont' get gross so we are at a big disadvantage in stuff like spinal cord sections, cranial nerves, etc. That's ok! Just memorize. Also you will be touching human brains, so buy some gloves and get used to the smell! Learn all the pathways. Learn every bump on the surface of the brain. Learn what each cross section of spinal cord level looks like and brain. Brain will be sliced in 3 ways, so learn to use 3-D! Also learn what happens when stuff goes wrong. I recommend the review book for neuro. Don't get the text unless it makes you feel good. Review book + notesets should be fine. Draw pictures!

Biostats is alright. Kind of a lame course. Just buy the HIGH-YIELD review book - it is small and orange. The big one is too complicated. Also, even though you don't want to, go to class. Dr. Chiazze got pissed when only 20 ppl went to calss that he decided to give thsoe 20 people extra credit.

Summer paper - have fun with it. It's honestly not bad and you almost always get an A. You just have to meet with your mentor a couple of times to help you pick a topic and the right sources. Then just read 10+ articles and summarize them.

General Advice on doing well.
Dont' be afraid to spend money if you need to. I was stingy last year and it cost me in several ways (I opted to commute from Fairfax, VA).
Do something to get rid of the stress constructively.
Pretend studying is fun. Do this by drawing pictures with different color pens. Study sheets are in a constant state of flux - sometimes you learn that your sheet didn't work too well - so just modify it.
Study groups may help - but I did everything myself and got a 3.5...I also didnt' get into Georgetown, so that could be a factor. Try to limit group size to 4.
Procrastination/Cramming is acceptible as long as you remember to get your application stuff squared away as soon as possible.
Tests generally last 3 hours. This gives you time to go to the bathroom, stretch, and eat breakfast.

Good luck!
Geoff
PM me if u got more questions...also refer to that LINK I sent above. It is really comprehensive.

the SMP program doesnt give out alot of financial aid. Is that true?

Unfortunately, Georgetown doesn't give any financial aid. When I say none, I mean that they don't give out scholarships or grants. They help you get loans.

Once you do your FAFSA form, Gtown will assign you a FinAid advisor. He/She will give you a variety of loans.
Some are subsidized Fed, some are unsubsidized..
One is from a random bank.

In total, I owe Georgetown 28,000 plus interest. But that's b/c I requested not to borrow money for housing (I lived at my parent's home). I recommend requesting at least 1,000 per month extra over the cost of tuition - for books, food, housing, etc. Georgtown gets expensive. The average parking lot costs 125 bucks per month. You can do metereed parking, for 75 cents an hour or you can risk parking residential for up to 2 hours. The parking nazis charge 25 bucks for parking tickets. Some people can get away with 2 or so tikets per month when they figure out the parking nazi's schedule.

Food/restaurants/movies/clubs/bars are expensive. But it's also an attractive area to live in.

Work load is intense. After bombing my embryology test, I started getting more efficient in studying. I think I studied on average 4 hours a day b/c I spent a lot of time commutting. Frankly, 4 hours won't be enough for most people (I'm a good crammer). I saw gunners in the library after classes ended until midnight (when it closed). Come to think of it, even though our mentors said that grades weren't the most important factor getting into Georgetown, I noticed that just about all the gunners got into Georgetown. lies! So if you really want to get into Georgetown, I recommend studying 8 hours a day.

Classes start 9 AM and each last 50 minutes with a 10 minute break. Lunch break starts 11:50 and ends 1:00. If you have afternoon classes, they usually go until 3 PM. In the first semester, you will generally have full days (9 AM to 3 PM). Later in the second semester, you usually have half days (until lunch). Labs, when present, last 3 hours, and are in the afternoon about once a week for that class. Sometimes you are taking two classes simultaneously and each have a lab - so that would be 2 labs that week.

SCheduling is block scheduling. For instance, you will be taking Embryo, Immunology, and CMP at the same time. Embryo finishes first. Then Immunology, which is replaced by Histology. Histology and CMP continue until Christmas break.

It's quite a marathon, but the stuff generally grows on you. Georgetown does a good job teaching basic sciences. But you have to put in a lot of work to even get a B (minimum passing grade). Getting an A requires mastering everything.

There is no tutoring, but I've seen some students ask their mentors general questions...like what's it like being a nephrologist, etc. Each class is about 130 students and maybe 5 drop out. I think 10 don't graduate (maintain a 3.0). But don't let that scare you. After surviving SMP, I feel that almost any idiot can become a doctor - it just takes a lot of hard work. SMP is like basic training in the military. It will break you down, but in time you will stand up again.

I agree the majority of students will have to spend a lot of time studying. personally I just studied a few days before the exam, but like the poster above, I'm a crammer. Its not about how much you study, its about how you study. If you're effective at understanding the main points and good at ignoring the useless minutae, you can eaily cut your study time in half or more.

that said, many of my classmates are banking on getting in GU so I understand why they study so much. Personally i'd kill myself if i spent all day in the library. I also agree that any monkey can be trained to be a doctor as long as they put in the time. It is absurdly easy to pass the classes, but also absurdly hard to honor them.

Thanks a lot for the comments exmike and gcc2002, they have been really helpful (at least for me).

Yea they have been helpful for me too, thanks guys, as always :)

Yeah, thanks guys. You've both helped a lot. out of curiosity, do you guys regret going? was it a year of pure hell or was it not so bad. It's kinda hard to tell from what you've posted. to put it another way, would you make the same decision to go knowing what you know now. Thanks again, and good luck to you both in med school

I don't regret doing SMP b/c I felt like I accomplished something. Even if I didn't get into med school, I felt that I challenged myself and succeeded - in fact almost every graduates from SMP b/c the program brings the best out of most people

If I had a choice between med school and SMP - I actually don't know how I would pick (then again I could be a sadist!) It is nice that I got to learn all that I did. ANd it helps a lot for MS1 (cuts down study time). But I think the normal person would say "hell no, I would rather have skipped SMP and gone straight to med school."

Overall, my year was Pretty Positive.

exMike, do you have an opinion of your year so far?

poor ol' Gil said:
Yeah, thanks guys. You've both helped a lot. out of curiosity, do you guys regret going? was it a year of pure hell or was it not so bad. It's kinda hard to tell from what you've posted. to put it another way, would you make the same decision to go knowing what you know now. Thanks again, and good luck to you both in med school

To those who have completed the program what difference has it made to your application? For example did you apply to med school before smp? What were the results in terms of interviews and secondaries? What were the results after the smp program? I want to get a gauge as to how helpful this program is. It sounds good but is very expensive very difficult and seems to be geared towards people with mid thirtees on the mcat and 3.0-3.4 gpas. What if the person got a 28-30 on the mcat will this program (assuming he does well in it) help him get into a us med school.

thanks

Hi there. This thread has been a really interesting and helpful read. I really appreciate the time you guys have put into your responses. I have a couple questions regarding the cutoff gpa score and course requirments for applying to the Geortgetown SMP. Firstly, is the gpa the admissions people consider the same as the AMCAS gpa or only the gpa you're making at the school currently attending, in the case of an undergraduate applying? Secondly, would it be alright to apply during a semester while I'd be taking the second semeseter organic chemistry, biolgoy lab, and second chemistry lab? Those three classes are the only premed courses I need to complete and I wouldn't be able to complete them prior to applying. I would be able to send midsemester grades about March 2005, but would they accept those? I'd be much obliged for any help you guys could give.

sdn_handson said:
Hi there. This thread has been a really interesting and helpful read. I really appreciate the time you guys have put into your responses. I have a couple questions regarding the cutoff gpa score and course requirments for applying to the Geortgetown SMP. Firstly, is the gpa the admissions people consider the same as the AMCAS gpa or only the gpa you're making at the school currently attending, in the case of an undergraduate applying? Secondly, would it be alright to apply during a semester while I'd be taking the second semeseter organic chemistry, biolgoy lab, and second chemistry lab? Those three classes are the only premed courses I need to complete and I wouldn't be able to complete them prior to applying. I would be able to send midsemester grades about March 2005, but would they accept those? I'd be much obliged for any help you guys could give.

Me too, I am in a similar situation also, I would have completed all of my prereqs accept my 2nd semester of physics and my 2nd semester of english.

medstylee said:
I got my acceptance e-mail today - pretty quick turn around time. My file was complete the middle of last week. Anyhow, I'm still on two MD waitlists, but if those don't work out, I'll be joining you guys there next year for sure. It feels good to actually have some sort of a plan for my life now! :thumbup:

wooooooohoooooooo i feel ya too! I got the acceptance email a couple weeks ago and it felt so good to actually have a plan :) I'm on the wait-list at one school so unless I get off that (lets hope so!!) I will see you all of you in August.

What do you guys know about living? I have heard some things about houses and stuff... I was wondering if anyone really knew anything about this?

peace!
-wa

i'm also in but i'm banking on one of my 4 or 5 waitlists. :confused:
for those people waiting to get off waitlists, when do you guys plan on moving to DC? i wanna hold out until late July.

Hey guys I have a question about the deposit - they've sent a form requiring my signature and "reason for accepting the offer". I need my parents to send the check but I am not there to sign the form...would it be ok if I just had them send the check without the form? I need them to mail it today, because it needs to reach Georgetown from Philadelphia by Wednesday. If I used some sort of Priority Mail on Monday (nothing ridiculously expensive, maybe $4-5), could I get the check there by Wednesday? Any help mucho appreciated!!! :p

It most likely will reach washington in time because first class mail from Philadelphia reaches California in like 3 days. Yeah I was surprise. You can ask the post office...they have zones and can tell you if it will or not reach in time. It will probably be best that you contact GT and let them know your deposit is coming.

medstylee said:
Hey - I'm hesitant to send my deposit because a waitlist that i'm on for an md school started moving recently and i'd like not to have to send the $500 non-ref. deposit for georgetown if possible. anyway, mine was due this past friday and i haven't sent it yet. i called graduate admissions and the woman told me it's ok if it's late. she said just make sure not to send it too late. i'd call just to confirm if i were you. i wouldn't be too worried about your situation. good luck.

This is a reply I posted to this identical thread in the pre-allo forum. Might as well post it here just in case some people concerned with this issue didn't see it yet.

I was wondering about this point for the smp program and also for med school in general: how crucial is it to remember material from premed classes? Should I be studying my orgo text right now, for example, to do well? I'm worried cause I remember almost no chem at all.

Hey,

I didn't feel that the premed classes helped at all for SMP. Currently, they don't help for med school as well.
However, if you took these classes, it helped:

Immunology
Developmental Biology
Biochemistry
Physiology

Gcc

krichan said:
I was wondering about this point for the smp program and also for med school in general: how crucial is it to remember material from premed classes? Should I be studying my orgo text right now, for example, to do well? I'm worried cause I remember almost no chem at all.

Hello. For those of you who are applying to med school now, where in your AMCAS application are you mentioning that you are going to Gtown this year? Should I put it under the "schools attended" section, even though I won't have a transcript to send to AMCAS, or is it better to put it in a different section so as not to have trouble getting the app verified by AMCAS?

Congratulations to all the acceptances, by the way! :clap: (I just got my email yesterday and I'm so happy to finally know where I'll be this fall!) Looking forward to meeting all of you in DC...

To all the SMP grads,

How well do you have to do in the program to have a chance at Georgetown? 4.0? Is a 4.0 even possible for SMP students? Also, is admission to G'Town cotingent on your overall AMCAS numbers--i.e. can you get serious consideration by G'town based solely on your SMP performance? Thanks.

sg4runner said:
Hello. For those of you who are applying to med school now, where in your AMCAS application are you mentioning that you are going to Gtown this year? Should I put it under the "schools attended" section, even though I won't have a transcript to send to AMCAS, or is it better to put it in a different section so as not to have trouble getting the app verified by AMCAS?

Congratulations to all the acceptances, by the way! :clap: (I just got my email yesterday and I'm so happy to finally know where I'll be this fall!) Looking forward to meeting all of you in DC...

Congrats! On the SMP website, go to the accepted students section and look under AMCAS application. It will tell you how to go about listing Gtown as one of your schools.

mbess481 said:
Bumping with the hopes that a physio can answer the question about how well one must do to get into GUSOM after the SMP.

Why would you care how well you have to do? Think of this as your last chance...DO AS BEST AS YOU CAN! If not, don't waste the 24k.

How long did it take you guys to get confirmation of your tuition deposit? I sent mine in over two weeks ago and they still haven't deposited my check nor have they sent me any confirmation of receipt. I'm thinking maybe I should call and check if it ever got there.

Thanks.

medstylee said:
How long did it take you guys to get confirmation of your tuition deposit? I sent mine in over two weeks ago and they still haven't deposited my check nor have they sent me any confirmation of receipt. I'm thinking maybe I should call and check if it ever got there.

Thanks.

You should give them a call to check. They sent my friend a confirmation email pretty early that they received his check.

mbess481 said:
My question was not about the bare minimum you would need to get into GUSOM from the SMP. My question was about hearing how much more you need to go the distance if you are serious about GUSOM. If I entered the SMP, I would go balls to the wall and try to get the 4.0. My question is whether that would be good enough to get into GUSOM from there, or if many people do that well and therefore, are chosen based on other merits.

May seem silly to ask, but it's curiousity.

From reading practically every post on the G'town Yahoo Groups and PMing with numerous Physios, it seems that most people that get into GUSOM do really well on the program (ie >3.5 GPA). However, I have heard stories about how the number 1 student in the program the previous year was not admitted to GUSOM. Most Physios made it seem like it was because he didn't kiss up enough and stuff like that. Maybe he was very smart, but lacked other characteristics that GUSOM looks for. Just do your best and see how it goes. See you in August!

to the person concerned about getting in to gtown med:

the bare minimum to get into gtown is you first have to meet the requirements to get the interview; and to get the interview you need to be in the top half of the class; from there, who knows what the admissions committee will do with you, the program directors have some clout but its up to the admissions directors; but its true that one of the SMP heads is on the admissions committee;

you need to understand that EVERYONE wants to do well; its not just you and EVERYONE wants the 4.0; this won't be an easy task, it comes down to the exams, in some classes your grade is based on one exam. you can put in all the time and effort in the world and still not see the results in the exams. the best thing to do is study hard and stay focused during the exam. everyone in the program feels like they kind of messed up in undergrad and now they need to shine; so its very hard to do well. but it still can be done.
also if you've never visited gtown; once you get there you might have second thoughts about going there for med school. you'll see what i mean as the year progresses!

in terms of kissing up; you should get to know the directors and network a little. the reason why the number one from last year did not get in, was because i think a lot of people thought this person was cocky. this did not make a good impression on some people. but this person was brilliant and should have had no problems getting in; and if this person didn't get in because of this reason-i think it sucks.

the administration is pretty much run by one..well two now, people
they don't really get along so administration is kind of a mess; that's why its taking so long for them to get you confirmation back, that's why it takes so long to get info on orientation, that's why it takes so long to get any info from them!

wow; that seemed like a lot of negative comments; but all in all i think i had a positive experience with gtown; i learned about osteopathic medicine ( i had no idea what that was until i got to gtown) and i realized medicine is what i want to do. i learned more than i did in all four years of undergrad and i made some great friends along the way. a masters in one year- its a great deal. For those starting up soon, don't forget where you are; you're in DC, take advantage of seeing the city once in a while. don't stay locked up in the library because you will burn out too easily. make some friends because you need some sort of support system while you're there. and my best advice to you is to keep it real, don't forget why you're there and what you came for, cause in the end you'll probably get it if you put in the work. if you have more questions let me know; cause i know i did when i was jumping into this program and had no idea what to expect.

Thanks again Fowlers!

BTW, what exactly is it that makes people change their minds about GUSOM? I know of others who felt the same way as you. Thanks!

you'll understand when you get there and see the facillities...and library that is not soundproof and faces a courtyard where bbqs with loud music are held; and it faces a field where soccer/lacrosse games are played in the afternoon, and it faces a helicopter landing site....i guess the top floor is the way to go if you want something soundproof but there are no windows there; i don't know if they remodeled the library; they were supposed to be working on that when i left

gtown's got a great name; but the buildings you study in and learn in are pretty bleak, the undergrad campus is nice but the same can't be said for the med buildings, i really don't think i met anyone who after a few months into the program was really excited about the possibility of doing med school at gtown; a lot of the people that got in and went kind of just had to go there because they didn't get in elsewhere or got into a school that they mightnot have considered to be on the same page as gtown. its just very expensive and not really worth all the money, in my mind. you'd expect facilities to be top notch; but they're not. geoff and ex mike gave you some excellent advice that i wish i had. i'm not a crammer personally so i had to put in the work each day, but i still made sure i wasn't locked into the library all day! if i had to go back and do it again, i think i would have studied smarter, by filterning out the minutae and focusing on the big picture; i think that's what killed me with physiology. but neuro and endo were my 2 favorite classes; andi did alright for embryology. and don't worry if you don't get in that same year. i didn't and i discovered osteopathic medicine. i chose to go this route cause i got into a DO school by my home, and realized that i want to stay close to home for med school. its not that hard to get a job the year after smp either. if you like teaching; i suggest you look into lecturing/TAing jobs. i'm doing this at a UC near my house and its a great experience. its fun being on the other side; and you learn how you could have done things differently to be successful in undergrad. I digress though; all in all it was a good experience but a lot of things with the program can be hella annoying!
if you got more questions just let me know.

how much is it costing you?

Just wondering...the people who are bashing Georgetown, did they actually get an acceptance into GU after SMP? If not, it might be the case of bitterness. I've met plenty of people who were extremely happy to go there. Who cares about facilities, it's the education that matters.

This has probably been discussed... but, is it common for SMP students to have roommates or do most people live on their own?