Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapplicant3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched around for this question but I can't find an exact answer. From what I've heard, if you do well at Georgetown's SMP you get an interview and possible admission. My undergraduate GPA is ok (3.5) but my MCATs are below average (25 and I don't know if retaking it will yield better results). I've already gotten into Georgetown SMP (I'm one of those people that makes them only say there usually is a 27 MCAT cut off range), but I wanted to know if I have a real chance to get into their medical school (or any other u.s. allopathic) if I do really well in the program or will I still get rejected because of my MCAT scores regardless of how well I do in the masters?

Members don't see this ad.

medapplicant3 said:
I've searched around for this question but I can't find an exact answer. From what I've heard, if you do well at Georgetown's SMP you get an interview and possible admission. My undergraduate GPA is ok (3.5) but my MCATs are below average (25 and I don't know if retaking it will yield better results). I've already gotten into Georgetown SMP (I'm one of those people that makes them only say there usually is a 27 MCAT cut off range), but I wanted to know if I have a real chance to get into their medical school (or any other u.s. allopathic) if I do really well in the program or will I still get rejected because of my MCAT scores regardless of how well I do in the masters?

if you get As in most of your classes you'll probably have an excellent shot at gtown; focus on doing well in the program. you got in cause they think you have the potential to get into gtown. just be prepared for anything though; that means retaking the MCATs after you finish the program and reapplying if you don't get in

I don't know what your section scores where on the MCAT, but after doing the SMP you should be able to raise the bio section substantially if that was a problem area. If you do well in the classes you probably have a good shot at Gtown since the GPA in the program is what they primarily look at (at least for interviews.) Oh, and MCAT style questions should seem a lot simpler after taking Gtown tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
SC Alex said:
I don't know what your section scores where on the MCAT, but after doing the SMP you should be able to raise the bio section substantially if that was a problem area. If you do well in the classes you probably have a good shot at Gtown since the GPA in the program is what they primarily look at (at least for interviews.) Oh, and MCAT style questions should seem a lot simpler after taking Gtown tests.

Does Georgetown specifically make their exam questions like the MCAT or does the MCAT try to make their questions like those at a medical school?

To the OP, I remembering reading somewhere that Georgetown recommends retaking the MCAT to anyone with less than a 30. However, that was only for admission to the SMP, and since you're already in maybe it doesn't matter. If you wanted to go to medical school somewhere besides Georgetown, perhaps you should retake it. I assume that the advisors at Georgetown could advise you what they think would be most beneficial to boost your chance for admission.

i think the reason the mcat bio section will be much easier is because a) after smp, you know so much more than you need to know for the biology part (at least in physiology) that the subject matter on the test might seem simplistic and b) because (hopefull) you've gotten really good at sifting through a lot of information and extraneous answer choices.

the format of our exam questions is not like the mcat. the mcat questions are more focused on scientific experiments. once in a while, on the medical tests, there will be a set of a few questions that pertain to a certain patient or case, but that's about it. obviously, the exam questions are much more clinically focused. so, there's definitely a difference. i guess the similarity would be that both force you to sift through answer choices that make you really think. you definitely get better while in smp.

tacrum43 said:
If you wanted to go to medical school somewhere besides Georgetown, perhaps you should retake it.

Agreed. Your undergrad GPA is solid and you should do well in the SMP as long as you work hard. But you should also consider retaking the MCAT at some point to increase your overall competitiveness. If I were you, I'd go ahead and plan to take the Aug 2005 MCAT and get it out of the way before the program starts so that you won't have to worry about it anymore. You could also wait until next year to take the MCAT again when you have a year's worth of advanced science under your belt. You would have a better chance at scoring a 30 or above if you waited, but you would have to study for the MCAT while in the SMP (assuming you want to take it in April). That would not be easy, and you don't want to compromise your grades at Georgetown for anything. I would think that improving just a few points on the MCAT (28+) along with a strong showing at G'town will get you a lot of interviews, so definitely consider Aug 2005.

I would suggest retaking it before you start the program, so that you can have a stronger application for med school while in the program. If you end up having to reapply to med school after the program then the MCAT should be much easier. Like medstylee was saying, it's not that the Exam questions are meant to be like the MCAT (in fact our tests try to emulate the boards) but after taking tests that are as tricky as the gtown ones, and studying such large amounts of information, it should be easier to study for the MCAT and take it. God, that was one long run on sentence. Taking the MCAT while in the program would be very difficult I think, no way I would recommend it. If you have to reapply I would suggest retaking it in August, that way you can get in a solid two months of studying beforehand after finishing the SMP, but that is a long way off. Hopefully, you will get in while in the SMP and not have to worry about any of that.

It seems to me there are three choices I have for next year:

1. Just go to SMP
Pros: If I do really well I have a shot at g-town med
Cons: MCAT scores could hold me back

2. MCAT in Aug and SMP
Pros: Chance to up my MCATs so I have competitive scores & if I do poorly on the MCATs, I have something to fall back on without losing a year
Cons: If I do well on the MCAT there will be no need for SMP (spending money on tuition and looong study hours)

3. MCAT in Aug and Job/Volunteer for the year
Pros: If I do well on the exam, I don't need to spend time/money on SMP
Cons: If exam doesn't go well, I lose a year and prob have to try to go SMP the year after

Any suggestions?

from your first post, it seems like you're unsure if you will be able to improve on the mcat this august. in that case, i'd take option one. the problem with that though, is that perhaps you might not like georgetown med. i'm not saying gusom will be your only option, but a 25 mcat might very well hinder your chances at a lot of other schools. also, 3.5 is a good gpa, but for a med school applicant it's very average (not offending you at all, mine was certainly lower than 3.5!). and, from what i've heard from admissions people, one way to possibly balance out a low mcat is with a high gpa. therefore, with a 25 mcat, i'd think you'd want to try to improve your academic credentials somewhat (in case your score does not go up and maybe even if your score goes up!) and doing well in the smp would really help you in that respect. you can always do some volunteering while you are a physio student. if you have decent time management skills, you can certainly pull that off for a few hours per week. now, there's also a monetary factor involved in smp vs volunteering for a year. but, if paying for smp is not too huge of a burden, i'd strongly recommend doing it.

in a less-than-ideal scenario, let's say you go to smp and do well but don't end up getting in anywhere. in that case, if you take the mcat over, you will have a much higher chance of getting a better mcat score. so, that's kind of my 2 cents. i wish you the best of luck.