Georgetown University School of Medicine C/O 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd create a thread since everyone else has...:D Any G-town peeps out there entering in 2008?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how the new curriculum compares to the current one? (Better/Worse)

Does anyone know how the new curriculum compares to the current one? (Better/Worse)

It is going to be system based instead of department based. I think this way of learning will really help with understanding. However, it is going to be the first year they are doing this so there might be a couple bumps. I'm wondering how difficult the tests will be...

Man where are all the GU people??

Members don't see this ad :)
75% sure i'm DC bound!

...i think the new first year curriculum is layed out in the back of that booklet that Mrs. Sullivan gave us, but im not sure

Yeah it is in the back of the booklet but I just wanted to know if there were any current gtown students who might know more info about the curriculum.

nope...but I called and they said you can arrange any visit whenever you wanted. Anybody for sure going to G-town next year? The new cirriculum looks pretty awsome...the only bad thing is that nobody can give us input on whether this is good or bad.

Yeah it is in the back of the booklet but I just wanted to know if there were any current gtown students who might know more info about the curriculum.

Check the website...they have a calander for next year and a power point of what the cirriculum is supposed to acheive.

Hey folks, I received my Georgetown acceptance letter this week and I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and say hello! GU was my top choice and I'm just happy to finally be done with this crazy application marathon.

SDN seems to be especially quiet in terms of Georgetown-related activity/info this year, but maybe things will pick up the closer we get to August? Anyone thinking of setting up an informal second-look trip?

Congrats to all who are in. I didn't submit a secondary for G-town and I'm not a med student there (I'm heading back to my home state for school), but I have been living in the area for the past couple years managing a lab in the hospital and finishing @ masters in the micro & immunology department. So if you have any campus questions or general DC questions feel free to PM me.

I have several friends who are first and second years, so I may be able to answer a question here or there as well.

Okay, so I'm coming too regardless of the cost. Can't stop freaking out about money though. DC is outrageous. Anyone know when we get our financial offers from them? When are you planning to move and where?

Just wanted to say that I'm joining the Hoya family as well. GU's tuition is undoubtedly steep, but where else are you going to find a shopping/food/nightlife area with tons of diversity and top-ranked Washington docs? Hm. I thought so.

Anyway, it would be nice if someone could offer some advice about finding cheap housing. I'm still not sure where I'm living, but if someone is willing to offer me a couch for hundred or so a month, I'd be set.

Despite Georgetown's untimely exit from the tournement this year, I'm pretty sure I'll be attending as well. Unless I get into my state school, DC is where I'll be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd say hi and that I'm joining the G'town med family as well. Where exactly are you guys planning on living? It seems like a bunch of the med students live in Glover Park right across the street from the hospital....

anyone know how much it costs to rent a one-bedroom near the med school? I heard lots of ppl live in the neighborhood of Burleith...?

Hey everyone, Congratulations on your acceptances to Georgetown in a very, very competitive year (we received 11,000+ applications this year so it is a tremendous accomplishment). I am a current first year and I just wanted to welcome all of you to the Hoya family. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about housing, orientation, life, etc.

About housing.. Most students in live in Burleith, Glover Park, Or Foxhall. I live in Foxhall (a quiet, ritzy family neighborhood right next to the hospital) in a 5 bedroom townhouse with 4 other med students. We're about 7 minutes or so walking distance from the hospital and our neighborhood is filled with med students. Our rent is pretty good for the area (I pay $770 a month for my own room).. generally, the more people you live with, the less your rent will be. I know some people who have 1 bedroom apartments or are renting out someone's basement and they pay $1000+ a month.. All accepted students should be mailed a roommate list signup form in April and the school should provide you with some housing listings. You can try craigslist as well. Also, once you get your georgetown email account set up you'll probably be getting a ton of emails from current 1st, 2nd, 3rd years looking to fill vacancies. Personally, I found my roommates off the Gtown Class of 2011 facebook group and it worked out great!

Welcome aboard Stang and legend! Also looking around for housing and found craigslist postings in the range chaldobruin mentioned. I think the facebook group is a good idea, though I didn't see one yet for Georgetown Medical Class 2012. Anyone want to start one up?

Hey, my I'm going to be at Gtown in 2008, and my cousin will be starting at GW med at the same time. Have you ever heard of any medical students living closer to GW or in the area between GW and Gtown?

Hey, my I'm going to be at Gtown in 2008, and my cousin will be starting at GW med at the same time. Have you ever heard of any medical students living closer to GW or in the area between GW and Gtown?
I am going to Gtown next year (or maybe GW if I get off their waitlist) and I live in Dupont and LOVE IT. Dupont is pretty much between Gtown and GW and there is a free bus that goes from Dupont to Georgetown. On the south side of the circle would be walking distance to GW and very close to the bus stop.

GW or Georgetown?? Georgetown is ranked, and GW not, but GW has a beautiful hospital and facilities..... thoughts and feelings???

GW or Georgetown?? Georgetown is ranked, and GW not, but GW has a beautiful hospital and facilities..... thoughts and feelings???

All i know is that G-Town rocks! My friend did like GW a lot though. Just got my place! 750 a month...yes!

Hey all!

Anyone who is a current Georgetown student - how does the grading system pan out? I'm a little concerned that since its not Pass/No Pass that might lead to a more competitive atmosphere. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing all of you this fall!

All i know is that G-Town rocks! My friend did like GW a lot though. Just got my place! 750 a month...yes!

Whoa, wait a second, 750/month?! That's incredible, especially for the DC area! If you don't mind my asking, which neighborhood is that in? Me and a buddy of mine (who is also going to G'town next year for med school) have been looking in Glover Park and haven't found anything even close to 750/month.

Btw, G'town >>> GW, but that's just my opinion.

Whoa, wait a second, 750/month?! That's incredible, especially for the DC area! If you don't mind my asking, which neighborhood is that in? Me and a buddy of mine (who is also going to G'town next year for med school) have been looking in Glover Park and haven't found anything even close to 750/month.

Btw, G'town >>> GW, but that's just my opinion.

Got the hookup from an old grad from my college...its on resevoir road next to the safeway, thats all I really know. Small room, but it will do.

Hey All congrats on your acceptance! I am 3rd year here at GU and I know there are going to be changes to the curriculum but I dont think grading is changing. Its H/HP/P/P/LP/F.....I remember my first year that my class was pretty upset about not having pass/fail and we took polls and everything but in the end nothing changes. It definitely adds to a competitive atmosphere in the class.....but you dont have to let that get to you. Having this grading system allows the school and future residencies help differentiate you and therefore it is a crucial necessity. Honestly, the first two years grades dont matter that much to residencies...it only matters in that it will give you an indication of how you will do on Step1 after second year...your 3rd year grades WILL most certainly matter everywhere....these are the two things you want to do good on (STEP1 and 3rd year). Just have fun the first two years and enjoy the learning. Again welcome to Georgetown

Hey, guys! I am trying to choose a school right now, and I only have a few days to make a decision (last minute acceptance and leaving the country on Thursday).

Unfortunately, a few hours at interview day and a scheduled second look have given me very little of a realistic view of any school's strength and weaknesses.

Anyway, I've heard positive and negative things about Georgetown (and every other school). I'd really appreciate any input you can give me on the school and if you think it's a wise decision to go for the in-state cheaper option or pay more for Georgetown.

Please PM me if you'd be willing to help me with more insight. I really appreciate it. :)

when do we get our financial aid packages?!?! it's so freaking late already...

when do we get our financial aid packages?!?! it's so freaking late already...

I was wondering the same thing, and that's why I called them earlier today. I was told that the they will send out the financial aid award letters on Friday. I know it's getting late, but there are three other schools that I've been accepted to that haven't gotten me a package yet either. On the flip side, the two schools that have given me packages gave me absolutely zilch, and going to one of those schools would be near 70 grand a year....

still haven't gotten a financial package....this is pretty shady...waiting till may 14th...

Hey everyone, Congratulations on your acceptances to Georgetown in a very, very competitive year (we received 11,000+ applications this year so it is a tremendous accomplishment). I am a current first year and I just wanted to welcome all of you to the Hoya family. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about housing, orientation, life, etc.

About housing.. Most students in live in Burleith, Glover Park, Or Foxhall. I live in Foxhall (a quiet, ritzy family neighborhood right next to the hospital) in a 5 bedroom townhouse with 4 other med students. We're about 7 minutes or so walking distance from the hospital and our neighborhood is filled with med students. Our rent is pretty good for the area (I pay $770 a month for my own room).. generally, the more people you live with, the less your rent will be. I know some people who have 1 bedroom apartments or are renting out someone's basement and they pay $1000+ a month.. All accepted students should be mailed a roommate list signup form in April and the school should provide you with some housing listings. You can try craigslist as well. Also, once you get your georgetown email account set up you'll probably be getting a ton of emails from current 1st, 2nd, 3rd years looking to fill vacancies. Personally, I found my roommates off the Gtown Class of 2011 facebook group and it worked out great!

hi guys! i'm also a current M1 at georgetown and i'd be happy to answer any questions you have too. the above post pretty much sums up the housing situation really well. personally i also live in foxhall village, but i have a studio basement which runs me $1200 a month, mostly because i have a full kitchen, driveway parking, wireless and digital cable w/ dvr all thrown in (yeah, it is kind of sweet :D). feel free to PM me or post here if you have questions.

for the person who asked about GW/GU and living in between, it is possible, georgetown has a shuttle service that goes out to places like rosslyn and dupont circle. since GW is on the blue (?) line, you can live in rosslyn (VA) and then take the metro to GW and the GUTS shuttle from the rosslyn stop to GU's campus. alternately you could live in dupont and both split the difference with busses, etc. it can be done without too much hassle.

looking forward to meeting you guys in august! hopefully i will be working orientation so i look forward to seeing you then :D

still haven't gotten a financial package....this is pretty shady...waiting till may 14th...

I went to G'town today and talked to the financial aid office and they said that the packages are in the mail. Plus, they actually printed out a summary of my package for me to look at. I was happily and pleasantly surprised to see a large chunk of my tuition reduced by a scholarship, which just further reinforces my desire to go to G'town. My advice would be to call them and see if they can at least tell you over the phone whether or not you got any money.

By the way, my friend and I scored an awesome two-bedroom apartment that is only a ten minute walk to the campus for only $1500/month plus utilities. Make sure you guys are checking Craig's list!

Hey all!

Anyone who is a current Georgetown student - how does the grading system pan out? I'm a little concerned that since its not Pass/No Pass that might lead to a more competitive atmosphere. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing all of you this fall!

The grading system isn't too bad. Top 10% get Honors, the next 20% get high Pass, and essentially, 60-70% of the class gets a pass (a few people fail some tests though). The "Low pass" is reserved for the bottom 5-10% of the class, but this is an INTERNAL/INSTITUTIONAL designation- i.e. residencies will see "Pass." The only reason "LP" is given is so the student is given a wake up call.. (you are close to failing). If you get multiple LP's and you are struggling, the school tries to help you (you meet with advisors/counselors, etc). So essentially its top 30% of the class gets distinction (H/HP), the rest get pass.

A few years ago there was a poll administered by the Student Medical Education Committee about whether students preferred the current grading system, or would rather have Pass/Fail. Surprisingly, most people voted to keep the current grading criteria! If I remember correctly, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years had over 60% voting in favor of grades, while 1st years were deadlocked at 50-50. It seems that the people who get high passes and honors want to keep the system intact, while the people who get all passes want to do away with it.. For this reason it has not changed and probably won't in the near future.

Don't worry guys, its really not that bad. There will be some gunners but honestly, undergrad was WAY worse in terms of competitive nature!

Does the curriculum at Georgetown University have PBL in the curriculum?

Georgetown does not have an official PBL system, there is some PBLish parts incorporated into Physiology and Microbiology but it definitely does not warrant classification of being titled "PBL curriculum"

Hey Guys. I was a Georgetown SMPer this year and will be an entering member of the class of 2012. I don't know why Georgetown makes it so hard to get hold of its match list when its so good, so I've uploaded it as PDF file on mediahost. I hope the download works.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rymlmpnjfst

I'll be entering, I was late on Financial aid deadlines, so I'm now trying to avoid freaking out while figuring it out. Starting to figure out housing too...

I am late applying for financial aid also. Can anyone explain the process for applying for financial aid? Do they really need all those forms? Who do we send the promissory note to?

Also does anyone know of any apartment complexes in the neighborhood that students typically reside in? I just need names.

Thanks,

PMD

wow, gtown gave me no financial aid at all...zero.

Hi! I am most likely going to be a med student this Fall. I would really prefer to live in an apartment and not an house.. any suggestions on apartments close to campus?

Hey all, I'm also attending GUSOM this fall. I hear c/o2012 is supposed to be off the hook :cool: !! I did a postbac at GU this year so I'm somewhat familiar with everything. Anyways, I think that Craigslist is by far the most useful resource you can use n terms of finding an apt. Glover Park, Burleith, Palisades are some good keywords to type in. Many med students choose to live in those areas. I have friends that commute from dupont, columbia heights, rosslyn, and even springfield VA. If you're used to a long commute to school then it would be cheaper to live a little bit futher. HOWEVER, if you're like me and have always lived close to your campus then, live close.

Hope you all have a great summer!

Hey,

I'm also a current SMP who will be starting as an M1 in the fall. I've currently begun my search for places to live, so if anyone is looking for a roommate etc, feel free to PM me. I currently live in Glover Park, and I am hoping to stay in a similar area so I can walk to campus.

Also, feel free to PM me with any questions you have about Gtown as well. I've been here for a year now, so I'm sure I can help.

Thanks so much, and I look foward to meeting you all in the fall...

Hii...nice to know some of our classmates won't be too lost come fall :) .. i got in a week ago so i'm almost decided... have you seen/heard the grading system to be very competitive? .. any recommendation on what kind of laptop to buy? .. also is there a way to park near campus (if commuting)? thankssss!!!

I am going to Gtown next year (or maybe GW if I get off their waitlist) and I live in Dupont and LOVE IT. Dupont is pretty much between Gtown and GW and there is a free bus that goes from Dupont to Georgetown. On the south side of the circle would be walking distance to GW and very close to the bus stop.

Hey! Where do you live in Dupont? I'm starting GU in august (HOORAY!) and i'm looking for a studio in a NON-smoking apartment building near Dupont Circle. However, the only one i've found in my price range is reported to have a bed bug problem - eww. I can deal with mice and roaches but bed bugs? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Hey,

I need some info on the 3rd and 4th year clerkships at Georgetown. Are they restricted to hospitals with the Medstar affiliation? I have some more questions, so if any current Gtown medical school students could please email me, the help would be really useful. Thanks

I live at 15th and N (SE of Dupont). I have a great, cozy studio for $1000.. which isnt' bad considering the building has a gym and computer room. The closet is also huge so I threw my full size bed in it and now like to refer to my place as a "one bedroom." My advise to you is to look on Craigslist-- lowest you are going to find is probably $700 in a group house and that's a stretch. To live alone 900 and up. Let me know if you have any other questions. I went to Gtown undergrad and have been working here at the Medical School for 2 years so I am pretty familiar with the area.

I live at 15th and N (SE of Dupont). I have a great, cozy studio for $1000.. which isnt' bad considering the building has a gym and computer room. The closet is also huge so I threw my full size bed in it and now like to refer to my place as a "one bedroom." My advise to you is to look on Craigslist-- lowest you are going to find is probably $700 in a group house and that's a stretch. To live alone 900 and up. Let me know if you have any other questions. I went to Gtown undergrad and have been working here at the Medical School for 2 years so I am pretty familiar with the area.

Thanks for the advice! In the end I decided trying to find a downtown apartment big enough for the two of us under $1000 was impossible. So we changed our parameters and managed to find a beautiful and sunny 1 bedroom basement apartment for $800 (utilities included) about a mile northwest of Gtown. My husband will just have to take the bus or bike to work.

Hey,

I need some info on the 3rd and 4th year clerkships at Georgetown. Are they restricted to hospitals with the Medstar affiliation? I have some more questions, so if any current Gtown medical school students could please email me, the help would be really useful. Thanks

3rd year you do clerkships at GU hospital, washington hospital center, fairfax hospital, VA hospital center and/or walter reed as well as some weeks in random outpatient clinics around DC. you can also do your family medicine month anywhere around the country (maybe 30 locations total, in most states). 4th year is the same locations with the option of doing usually 1-3 away rotations anywhere.