Georgetown vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alh123456

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Since the CTE deadline is coming up soon, I'd love to hear SDN's thoughts between these two options. I'm from Boston and am hoping to match into a surgical specialty in a NE city for residency. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to take out loans for either of these schools so the cost differential shouldn't be too big.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance!

Georgetown Pros:
  • Incredible match list. GT matches a ton of students into competitive specialties - seems like I’d be very well supported in that regard
  • Fell in love with the idea of living in DC. Such a beautiful city with a ton of fun things to do outside of medicine / opportunities to meet other young people. (I also think it would be so exciting to be in the Capital during the election)
  • Jesuit emphasis on service / social justice incorporated into curriculum
  • Interested in health policy and they have a longitudinal track that supports this
  • Much closer to family and have friends that live in DC
  • Decent research (can anyone confirm?) with NIH nearby
  • Larger class size (~200), I like the idea of having a large group to find friends
  • Students seem very social
  • Likely wouldn’t need a car
  • Weather better than Boston
Georgetown Cons:
  • Lower ranking at ~40s but perhaps better lay prestige
  • Facilities are definitely not as nice as Emory’s
  • No dedicated research period, although M1 summer is free and an independent project is required so would still be able to push publications
  • Would not see as diverse clinical cases as I would at Emory

Emory Pros:
  • Higher ranking as a T25; overall better reputation within medicine but perhaps less lay prestige
  • Incredible clinical training at Grady (safety net hospital of Atlanta) and Emory University Hospital
  • Public health / social justice focus (CDC literally across the street)
  • Beautiful campus and new facilities
  • 5 month reserved Discovery period for research or international experience
  • Fantastic match list but fewer matches into surgical specialties than GT
  • Seems like students are very happy here
  • Administration seems extremely supportive
  • Weather is amazing
Emory Cons:
  • Very far from friends and family (I don’t know anyone who lives south of DC). I'd be extremely nervous about making such a big move / life change
  • Would have to buy a car
  • Smaller class size (130-140)
  • No M1 summer
  • If I'm honest, I'm much less enthused about living in Atlanta than DC

I do feel a strong pull towards GT but I can't let go of Emory's ranking. Feeling completely torn with this decision - sos!

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for Georgetown! I'm at NIH right now doing research and I've actually met a fair number of Georgetown med students over the summer/during the year doing research and all of them really seemed to love it! Especially if you're thinking about going into a competitive specialty, NIH is definitely on the forefront of biomedical research and you'll get to do a lot of interesting stuff you wouldn't get the opportunity to pursue elsewhere as well as make connections with really important people in the science world. Also, I definitely love living in D.C. There's always something going on and is a really fun place for 20-somethings to live in. Also if you're interested in health policy, no better place I think than D.C.! All that + your support network point to GT for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Having lived in both DC and Atlanta, I don’t think you can go wrong. DC is definitely a very fun and unique city, and feels a lot younger than many other cities. Also if you want to engage with the Hill and policy makers that’s a big plus. However Atlanta is also a blast and a great place to spend 4 years in your 20s. You have CDC and Rollins right across the street from Emory, which is basically the epicenter of public/global health.

I wouldn’t really focus on the location as a deciding factor, but instead focus on the clinical training. For example, do you want to train and work in a place like Grady?

Reactions: 1 users