Georgetown vs NYMC SMP vs Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicantfailur

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i am making plans for next year. I am interested in these 2 programs. I think I could definitely benefit from a smp. But it's also possible that i could get in somewhere if i just reapplied early and had some kind of job this year. Certainly it would be better financially. Though again, i could definitely see the benefit from taking a med school curriculum. It's possible i would do poorly and then I would reconsider medicine obviously. But I would like to ask some questions about the living atmosphere. Please keep in mind that I would be busy studying while answering those questions:
1) are there rowing machines at georgetown and/or nymc gyms?
2) do you share the gym with ugrads at georgetown(i like ugrads)?
2.1) what can you do other than study as a smp student at georgetown?
3) do students at nymc go cycling in the fall months?
4) what can u do at nymc other than study?

Members don't see this ad.

btw, if the average of the georgetown smp students is 3.3 and 31 and yet they have only a 50% same year acceptance rate to med schools (and it is much lower if you discount all those people who got into georgetown), then is this program really helpful? They also list DO schools and even St George as the schools where their people went... And other than georgetown, most of those schools that accepted these applicants are lower tier schools with 3.5/30 average. I understand if your dream is to go to georgetown medical, then your chances are heavily increased if you do well in the program. but in my case, 3.4/37 and want to get in anywhere, perhaps rewriting my personal statement would have a good enough effect? i mean i like some other schools like mcw. i dont think it's ranked. yet it didnt accept a single georgetown smp student.. sure, schools can view positively that you're willing to shell out 50k and risk lowering your gpa further(if in fact u raised it). but at the same time you are probably not doing any research or clinical work or even any professional work(in whatever bio degree u got).

First, you do share the gym with undergrads at Georgetown.

Second, there are tons of things to do around Georgetown as it is located directly in Washington DC. Museums, hiking trails, bars, movie theaters, etc. etc. etc.

As to whether it is worth it? Well ultimately that is up to you. Some schools like MCW are overly obsessed with GPA... I have a lower GPA than you, but a higher MCAT and didn't get the time of day from MCW.

Yes some students end up at St. George's or similar schools from Georgetown. But these are typically the students who have a 3.0, a 28 and then come in and do poorly in the SMP. If that is you, then yes the program won't help you at all. In fact, it will just prove that your undergrad numbers are accurate.

Now, do you need the program? It all depends... If you have a 3.4 with an upward trend and recent strong course work, I WOULD NOT do an SMP and would rather just apply early and keep volunteering and what not. Now, if you don't mind spending the money and are confident in your ability to excel (I mean excel, not do average) than an SMP could help you. I know people in my class at Georgetown who have similar stats to you and they have had luck getting interviews. With your stats you would likely be one of the 50% who get in during the first year. Those who don't typically need to show an entire year of solid course work before med schools will consider them. Around 85% are accepted after 2 years... Now of that other 15%, some of those decide to get a PhD instead (this is REALLY common when students realize how busy a medical career is...), or they decide on law school, or decide to do none of the above. So yes, maybe 5% of the class doesn't get into medical school after this 2 year period but I can guarantee you that these are the students who did not do well in the program.

Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
First, you do share the gym with undergrads at Georgetown.

Second, there are tons of things to do around Georgetown as it is located directly in Washington DC. Museums, hiking trails, bars, movie theaters, etc. etc. etc.

As to whether it is worth it? Well ultimately that is up to you. Some schools like MCW are overly obsessed with GPA... I have a lower GPA than you, but a higher MCAT and didn't get the time of day from MCW.

Yes some students end up at St. George's or similar schools from Georgetown. But these are typically the students who have a 3.0, a 28 and then come in and do poorly in the SMP. If that is you, then yes the program won't help you at all. In fact, it will just prove that your undergrad numbers are accurate.

Now, do you need the program? It all depends... If you have a 3.4 with an upward trend and recent strong course work, I WOULD NOT do an SMP and would rather just apply early and keep volunteering and what not. Now, if you don't mind spending the money and are confident in your ability to excel (I mean excel, not do average) than an SMP could help you. I know people in my class at Georgetown who have similar stats to you and they have had luck getting interviews. With your stats you would likely be one of the 50% who get in during the first year. Those who don't typically need to show an entire year of solid course work before med schools will consider them. Around 85% are accepted after 2 years... Now of that other 15%, some of those decide to get a PhD instead (this is REALLY common when students realize how busy a medical career is...), or they decide on law school, or decide to do none of the above. So yes, maybe 5% of the class doesn't get into medical school after this 2 year period but I can guarantee you that these are the students who did not do well in the program.

Good luck with your decision!

hey thank you for the advice. i dont have much of an upward trend in my gpa (i only had slightly below 3.0 in freshman yr and >3.5 in sophomore yr), so my overall gpa is definitely weak. but if smp really helped, then wouldnt the students who did well in it and had high mcat get into top20 schools? avg student at georgetown smp has a higher mcat score than an average matriculated student at nymc. i am not even applying to those schools, but i just figure that if other than georgetown(the home school), you can only hope for nymc(they take 5 students and possibly accept 10% of georgetown applicants), then maybe it's just because you applied early or rewrote your personal statement.. and i understand that after 2 extra years instead of 1, some more students might get in somewhere(though how many of them get into m.d. and not D.O?) but thats because they have wasted so much in income and in energy that you might equate their sacrifices/dedication to someone who had served in the military.

also i think i always enjoy being around ugrads. thats why if i were to do smp i would rather do it at georgetown than nymc. but i am not very impressed with the city of washington. and if i were to get into georgetown itself(10% chance), i dont know if i would go there. but if i dont get in and have to go to a school like nymc, i'll be at a disadvantage because i'll have to take those classes all over again. while if i do nymc smp and then go there for med school, i'll be excused from those classes and will be able to make some $$ tutoring.

hey thank you for the advice. i dont have much of an upward trend in my gpa (i only had slightly below 3.0 in freshman yr and >3.5 in sophomore yr), so my overall gpa is definitely weak. but if smp really helped, then wouldnt the students who did well in it and had high mcat get into top20 schools? avg student at georgetown smp has a higher mcat score than an average matriculated student at nymc. i am not even applying to those schools, but i just figure that if other than georgetown(the home school), you can only hope for nymc(they take 5 students and possibly accept 10% of georgetown applicants), then maybe it's just because you applied early or rewrote your personal statement.. and i understand that after 2 extra years instead of 1, some more students might get in somewhere(though how many of them get into m.d. and not D.O?) but thats because they have wasted so much in income and in energy that you might equate their sacrifices/dedication to someone who had served in the military.

also i think i always enjoy being around ugrads. thats why if i were to do smp i would rather do it at georgetown than nymc. but i am not very impressed with the city of washington. and if i were to get into georgetown itself(10% chance), i dont know if i would go there. but if i dont get in and have to go to a school like nymc, i'll be at a disadvantage because i'll have to take those classes all over again. while if i do nymc smp and then go there for med school, i'll be excused from those classes and will be able to make some $$ tutoring.

There are a lot of schools other than NYMC that like to see a good performance in the G-town SMP... I promise you it does help...

Does it help as much as just working on EC's and applying early? I don't think anyone can know for sure. I have classmates who applied early last year and got nothing... Started the SMP this year applied early and now have 5 interviews, seems like it helps some.

Also, you will have to retake the classes no matter what. Use it as a chance to get amazing grades and prepare to kick but on Step 1... Plus here at G-town if you don't retake the classes then you just get a pass. I'd personally rather retake and get all honors. Dont' worry about the money issue, the extremely little youd make are barely drops in te bucket that will be your student loan debt.

Good luck!

BUMP

I'd appreciate anyone's current take on the NYMC (Acc. MS) vs GT (SMP) programs.
It'd be particularly interesting to hear from students at either program who feel they would've been better served by going to the other institution.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I second the above. I am currently deciding between NYMC acc. MS and Georgetown's SMP and was hoping for some input. I currently hold a uGPA: 3.47 and a BCPM GPA: 3.41 with an MCAT of 30Q. I have volunteered within the surgical room of a cardiac cath lab for the past two years (300+ hrs surgical room time) and have also worked in hospice care and a youth mentoring program for at risk children. If anyone has any input into either of these programs or others that would serve me better please weigh in!