Georgetown's Summer Medical Institute...Application Booster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex1803

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on Georgetown's Summer Medical Institute. From what I could tell it allows you to take a couple of medical school courses over the summer. I don't think that they are transferrable, but more of practice/to give one an idea of that caliber of course. I am desparately looking for some application boosters that do not involve dropping $30,000 into a special masters program. I am welcoming any thoughts about the GSMI program. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins has a summer institute in anatomy......It basically involves taking a really watered down version of Gross anatomy taught at the medical school by the med school anatomy profs. I dont think tuition is all that crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, it sounds like a great gimmick for Georgetown to make some extra $$ at the expense of some ambitious pre-meds. Why not try EMT, research, or a job?

Alex1803 said:
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on Georgetown's Summer Medical Institute. From what I could tell it allows you to take a couple of medical school courses over the summer. I don't think that they are transferrable, but more of practice/to give one an idea of that caliber of course. I am desparately looking for some application boosters that do not involve dropping $30,000 into a special masters program. I am welcoming any thoughts about the GSMI program. Thanks.

If you feel you need a boost in your application, try and re-matriculate at your undergraduate institution, or be an un-matriculated student, enroll in classes which were your weaknesses and study really hard. Dont retake the classes, but take an upper level bio course if you didnt do well in your pre-med bio...

If your MCAT could use a boost, definitly retake it. If it doesnt merit a re-take, then dont take it.

Also, you gotta find a real, true, and meaningful reason on why you want to enter medicine. It has to be a genuine reason, and I am sure that you will be able to convey that message when you write your Personal Statement. Dont do something just so it looks good. You need to have a real good reason for doing something. I honestly dont think dropping 30K on this program will give you the best bang for your buck and time is also an issue.