Georgia Denies Fielding Graduate Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This one is interesting, a court sided with the GA Board of Examiners that a Fielding graduate, despite completing an APA-accredited program, did not qualify for licensure due to lack of a residential year of training.

Full details:
FindLaw's Court of Appeals of Georgia case and opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Fielding Graduates also cannot get licensed in Kansas and Oklahoma. They also require in residence training while in school, not just for internship.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fielding Graduates also cannot get licensed in Kansas and Oklahoma. They also require in residence training while in school, not just for internship.

Nice pic...did you take my (Red Swingline) stapler? :)

This one is interesting, a court sided with the GA Board of Examiners that a Fielding graduate, despite completing an APA-accredited program, did not qualify for licensure due to lack of a residential year of training.

Full details:
FindLaw's Court of Appeals of Georgia case and opinions.

I still don't understand why APA would accredit a--largely or completely--ONLINE graduate program in clinical psychology.

Maybe I need to watch the movie 'Office Space' a few more times until it finally sinks in.

I still don't understand why APA would accredit a--largely or completely--ONLINE graduate program in clinical psychology.

Maybe I need to watch the movie 'Office Space' a few more times until it finally sinks in.
I agree, makes no sense that they would accredit a program that does not necessarily include some type of programmatic residential training and supervision. Curious what kind of clinical experiences Fielding graduates receive- e.g., practica etc. and do they not require internship? Maybe some of those questions were clarified in the link- I just skimmed it.

http://16973-presscdn-0-99.pagely.n...ssions-Outcomes-and-Other-Data-09-23-2016.pdf

Their Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data table is pretty bad. It was especially bad a few years ago and has appeared to improve these last couple of years. Much lower attrition and much higher internship match rate but the APA internship match rate is still pretty low compared to other programs and attrition is still high considering most places I see are 0%. APA also only accredited for 3 years last time they were approved and they were set for re-evaluation in 2016. Hmmmm.

sauce? I am guessing this is part of the licensure laws?

Have there been similar court cases?

What does this say about the validity of the American Psychological Association accreditation process for graduate programs in professional psychology?
I guess when you're 'in charge' of the profession by default, you don't have to worry about demonstrating the validity of your process/procedures.

Reactions: 1 users
What does this say about the validity of the American Psychological Association accreditation process for graduate programs in professional psychology?
I guess when you're 'in charge' of the profession by default, you don't have to worry about demonstrating the validity of your process/procedures.
Here's the real irony, imo: we all know that a graduate program gaining APA approval doesnt mean anything, yet we hold up the idea that an APA approved internship means everything.

Here's the real irony, imo: we all know that a graduate program gaining APA approval doesnt mean anything, yet we hold up the idea that an APA approved internship means everything.

I disagree. I think the prevailing notion is still that an APA-accredited internship is merely the lowest bar for adequacy. When sites don't, or can't clear that low bar, it makes us wary. I don't believe that anyone here has ever spoken about it as an ideal, or up on a pedestal.

Reactions: 6 users
I disagree. I think the prevailing notion is still that an APA-accredited internship is merely the lowest bar for adequacy. When sites don't, or can't clear that low bar, it makes us wary. I don't believe that anyone here has ever spoken about it as an ideal, or up on a pedestal.
Well, it seems to depend on who we're talking about here on the boards. There are plenty of people like you who use APA accreditation as just the minimal standard for filtering out obviously bad programs and then use other criteria to further differentiate in program quality, e.g. APA-accredited internship match rate, EPPP pass rate, licensure rate, publication rates, job placements, board certification, remuneration outcomes, etc.

Then, there are some other people who seem to hold APA accreditation as proof positive that a program is good to convince themselves of the soundness of their decisions to apply to low quality programs or accept offers of admission from said programs. These are the people who object to the responses they receive when they ostensibly ask questions or solicit advice, but who are actually just looking for affirmation of their a priori opinions/decisions. To them, being APA-accredited means that programs should be fine, otherwise, why would the APA accredit them? Practicing psychologists have enough experience to know better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not convinced its anything but a money grab. The site that I went to, in particular, only hadnt done APA accred because it cost too much (they're now doing it). A site that I interviewed at the year prior to matching, btw, was APA accredited, and I would have speculated would have been terrible training. I hear what you're saying about "the lowest bar" but I think that's merely a notion, rather than a reality. Just my opinion, though.

I'm not convinced its anything but a money grab. The site that I went to, in particular, only hadnt done APA accred because it cost too much (they're now doing it). A site that I interviewed at the year prior to matching, btw, was APA accredited, and I would have speculated would have been terrible training. I hear what you're saying about "the lowest bar" but I think that's merely a notion, rather than a reality. Just my opinion, though.

I have friends that are site visitors, and have discussed it with them extensively. It's not a money grab. They do assure that certain elements are in place. It's not perfect, but far better than the alternative, in my opinion. Additionally, I have been at 2 sites undergoing a site visit and accompanying feedback at the time. In both cases the feedback received was actually very constructive and led to some programmatic changes, generally in the right direction (i.e., benefiting students).

I have friends that are site visitors, and have discussed it with them extensively. It's not a money grab. They do assure that certain elements are in place. It's not perfect, but far better than the alternative, in my opinion. Additionally, I have been at 2 sites undergoing a site visit and accompanying feedback at the time. In both cases the feedback received was actually very constructive and led to some programmatic changes, generally in the right direction (i.e., benefiting students).
Good, well I'm glad to know that. I've not done site visits, nor would I be interested in doing that. I'm glad from your perspective it's not a money grab. I'll admit I have a hard time completely buying that, given my overall perception of the APA.

I don't know that I see it as a money grab, but I wish they would continue to work on streamlining the process. There seems to be a whole lot of trial-and-error on the site's side, particularly during the initial accreditation application process, which I'm sure adds to the cost.

As a 3rd year student at a site when it was undergoing a site visit, more than a few of us were happy with the process even though it stressed out much of the faculty (a few of whom were grumbling about the money grab argument). The program was, in my opinion, already a strong one, but there were some changes students had been hoping for that were unlikely to occur without some sort of extra influence - beyond us complaining about it the need for additional types of experiences/supports. Positive change did come about as a result of the visit and from what I could tell all changes benefited both quality of training and overall student satisfaction. So that's my N=1 from the student side of things.

Edit- but re: @AcronymAllergy 's comment above, the back and forth and trying to figure out how to implement changes based on the feedback was the source of a boatload of frustration from what I could tell - namely that rec's weren't entirely clear and that feedback when the site had questions for the reviewers the feedback/clarification was slow in coming.

Good, well I'm glad to know that. I've not done site visits, nor would I be interested in doing that. I'm glad from your perspective it's not a money grab. I'll admit I have a hard time completely buying that, given my overall perception of the APA.

I'm not a site visitor, but I am TD at a VA medical center. Accreditation review and site visits are no a joke. It's an external mechanism of quality control. Its a peer review. Are you suggesting this is not necessary or helpful? External peer review for quality control and oversight is used in literally all other healthcare professions and across almost all of industry. Why would psychology think it would not be needed or helpful within its professions? That's just bizarre notion to me.

I will tell you from experience, the process has forced us to become a more attentive to certain issues that ultimately has improved our training. Without, we wouldn't have done this. Without some source of quality control/oversight (preferably external), any organization or program will inevitably rest on it laurels on some things.

Last edited:
I'm not a site visitor, but I am TD at a VA medical center. Accreditation review and site visits are no a joke. It's an external mechanism of quality control. Its a peer review. Are you suggesting this is not necessary or helpful? External peer review for quality control and oversight is used in literally all other healthcare professions and across almost all of industry. Why would psychology think it would not be needed or helpful within its professions? That's just bizarre notion to me.

I will tell you from experience, the process has forced us to become a more attentive to certain issues that ultimately has improved our training. Without, we wouldn't have done this. Without some source of quality control/oversight (preferably external), any organization or program will inevitably rest on it laurels on some things.
I am not at all, in the slightest suggesting that peer review is unnecessary or that site visits are a joke.
I am, however, suggesting that there exists an idea, which is merely an idea, in our realm that APA = gold standard, not ****ing around, serious, and APPIC = trash.
There are good internships that are "only" APPIC approved. I think the notion that one gets "better" training at an APA internship is fools gold, as well.
Note, I really wish, all those years ago that I would have matched to an APA internship, just for the fact that it would have made some things easier, but not for a second do I think that having an APA internship means its better than any other one. There are terrible APA approved internships, and we all know it. Just like there are terrible APA approved doctoral programs.

I am not at all, in the slightest suggesting that peer review is unnecessary or that site visits are a joke.
I am, however, suggesting that there exists an idea, which is merely an idea, in our realm that APA = gold standard, not ****ing around, serious, and APPIC = trash.
There are good internships that are "only" APPIC approved. I think the notion that one gets "better" training at an APA internship is fools gold, as well.
Note, I really wish, all those years ago that I would have matched to an APA internship, just for the fact that it would have made some things easier, but not for a second do I think that having an APA internship means its better than any other one. There are terrible APA approved internships, and we all know it. Just like there are terrible APA approved doctoral programs.

I think that's because APPIC requires little more than a check in the mail and checklist of items in order to get with them. So, yes, from the aspect of accreditation and quality oversight appic "accreditation" is trash/meaningless.

For myself, I saw APA accreditation as a minimum standard for my doctoral program and APPIC accreditation as the minimum standard for an internship. However, I only applied to APA internships because I felt that exceeded the minimum standard. Doesn't meant that I thought all APA sites would be better than all APPIC sites, but just playing the odds. I think what you might be seeing from many of the posters here is a push for APA internships to also become a minimum standard. I think i would agree with that myself with the understanding that prior students should not be penalized for non-APA internships.

For myself, I saw APA accreditation as a minimum standard for my doctoral program and APPIC accreditation as the minimum standard for an internship. However, I only applied to APA internships because I felt that exceeded the minimum standard. Doesn't meant that I thought all APA sites would be better than all APPIC sites, but just playing the odds. I think what you might be seeing from many of the posters here is a push for APA internships to also become a minimum standard. I think i would agree with that myself with the understanding that prior students should not be penalized for non-APA internships.
I have a hard time with this position. On one hand the sentiment is that this is a minimum standard and on the other hand the argument is that we should not make judgments based on individuals who receive training at locations which have failed to meet that standard. How can it be called a standard if it is not treated as one; That seems more like 'professional hope' rather than 'professional standard'.

I think that's because APPIC requires little more than a check in the mail and checklist of items in order to get with them. So, yes, from the aspect of accreditation and quality oversight appic "accreditation" is trash/meaningless.
Last I checked, the "little more" part wasnt that different between APPIC and APA. If my memory is correct, qualifying for APPIC almost assured you qualified for APA- despite said low standards (which I do not disagree with, mind you). The only big difference then- $$$$. Perhaps I'm wrong or things have changed. Whats the "little more" besides cost?

Last I checked, the "little more" part wasnt that different between APPIC and APA. If my memory is correct, qualifying for APPIC almost assured you qualified for APA- despite said low standards (which I do not disagree with, mind you). The only big difference then- $$$$. Perhaps I'm wrong or things have changed. Whats the "little more" besides cost?

Where did you get this ridiculous idea? The two are not related in the slightest. It's frankly annoying that you would make comment like that since you have admitted that you don't have any actual experience or knowledge of the internship APA accreditation process.

We are in the final stages of the APA accreditation process at the moment. It has taken 18 months and required us composing a 70 page self-study document with more appendices and tables than I can count and contains distal outcome data.

APPIC we mailed a check and form-it took 2 weeks.

Last edited:
APPIC is definitely easier to apply for than APA. Preparing for the former can help along the way to the latter, if nothing else than to start setting up a mindset for tracking outcomes, preparing paperwork, etc.

I have no doubt that there are many APPIC-member, non-APA sites that would meet APA's criteria. But the application burden is pretty cumbersome, and requires a good bit of time and administrative support.

Where did you get this ridiculous idea? .
From my TD circa 2013. They might have been wrong. Outside of outcome data and the process of applying, though, I'm still not so sure what an APA accredited internship "has" that an "APPIC only" internship necessarily lacks, and that's what I'm trying to ask. Not to further annoy you, erg, because I tend to like your comments, but it almost seems like you're trying to avoid this:
I have no doubt that there are many APPIC-member, non-APA sites that would meet APA's criteria.

I have a hard time with this position. On one hand the sentiment is that this is a minimum standard and on the other hand the argument is that we should not make judgments based on individuals who receive training at locations which have failed to meet that standard. How can it be called a standard if it is not treated as one; That seems more like 'professional hope' rather than 'professional standard'.
In my mind, it is the state licensing boards that set the standards and unfortunately they are all over the map. Figuratively as well as literally. You are right when you said "professional hope" because I would hope that we could get more uniform standards that we could agree upon. I didn't say anything about treating people differently if they have not and I disagree with the VA stance of separating psychologists with APA internships from non-APA internships as that just creates different sets of standards.

From my TD circa 2013. They might have been wrong. Outside of outcome data and the process of applying, though, I'm still not so sure what an APA accredited internship "has" that an "APPIC only" internship necessarily lacks, and that's what I'm trying to ask. Not to further annoy you, erg, because I tend to like your comments, but it almost seems like you're trying to avoid this:

Among a zillion other things, APA mandates/requires a certain amount of supervision, ,mandates that certain competencies are trained in and assessed for, mandates certain types of trainings and didactics are present, assesses for administrative and infrastructure support and physical space requirements for interns, and has policies for addressing pretty much everything thing in your program. Not ALL of these likely map directly onto actually directly increasing quality of training, but most certainly do.

I don't know why you are expecting other people to spoon feed this too you. If you want to know details that bad, you have ready access to them. The entire accreditation process and what it requires is publically available information. You making this out like it's some vague well maintained secret.

http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/?tab=5

Last edited:
Among a zillion other things, APA mandates/requires a certain amount of supervision, ,mandates that certain competencies are trained in and assessed for, mandates certain types of trainings and didactics are present, assesses for administrative and infrastructure support and physical space requirements for interns, and has policies for addressing pretty much everything thing in your program. Not ALL of these likely map directly onto actually directly increasing quality of training, but most certainly do.

I don't know why you are expecting other people to spoon feed this too you. If you want to know details that bad, you have ready access to them. The entire accreditation process and what it requires is publically available information. You making this out like it's some vague well maintained secret.

http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/?tab=5
I'm not expecting you to spoon feed it to me; in fact I briefly read on it earlier, before responding to you. But as you so aptly pointed out, I dont have first hand knowledge- so I was asking for your first hand knowledge, beyond paying money and a site visit, and the self study. The little bit you typed out above is also required for APPIC internships, which leads me back to wondering what, if anything is really all that different. Thus, instead of asking you to spoon feed me, I'll go back to my initial assertion: I'm not so sure there's much, if any real difference. If you find that ridiculous and it upsets you, I trust you'll figure out a way to deal with it.

Last edited:
In my mind, it is the state licensing boards that set the standards and unfortunately they are all over the map. Figuratively as well as literally. You are right when you said "professional hope" because I would hope that we could get more uniform standards that we could agree upon. I didn't say anything about treating people differently if they have not and I disagree with the VA stance of separating psychologists with APA internships from non-APA internships as that just creates different sets of standards.
You're right about licensing boards, to some degree, I think. There are a lot of standards that APA accreditation provides (amount of supervision, etc.) that is frequently endorsed as a quality standard within those same licensing boards. There are other differences in terms of post-doctoral experience, coursework, etc. that are defined by the boards beyond that basic step. If you don't have an APA accredited internship/program, many licensing boards that I've seen are extra skeptical of your training and look extra hard. I don't see this as entirely different from the VA, or anyone else, doing the same thing.

You're right about licensing boards, to some degree, I think. There are a lot of standards that APA accreditation provides (amount of supervision, etc.) that is frequently endorsed as a quality standard within those same licensing boards. There are other differences in terms of post-doctoral experience, coursework, etc. that are defined by the boards beyond that basic step. If you don't have an APA accredited internship/program, many licensing boards that I've seen are extra skeptical of your training and look extra hard. I don't see this as entirely different from the VA, or anyone else, doing the same thing.
From what I have heard on these boards, the VA isn't just extra skeptical of the training if the internship wasn't APA, they will not hire someone who did not complete an APA internship.

From what I have heard on these boards, the VA isn't just extra skeptical of the training if the internship wasn't APA, they will not hire someone who did not complete an APA internship.
Yup, with the exception of if they have done an internship at a VA (even if not accredited).

Either way. We gotta start enforcing a standard if we are going to call it a standard. And we need to raise the bar. The order matters less but something has to change if we want to weed out crappy training programs that produce mostly poor clinicians. It will limit/hurt some psychologists (and even some that are good clinicians), but it cuts down on a much larger problem.

To be fair to APPIC, it isn't meant to be an accreditation, it is membership to the group based on some basic requirements. The only acred. for sites in the match is APA-acred.

To be fair to APPIC, it isn't meant to be an accreditation, it is membership to the group based on some basic requirements. The only acred. for sites in the match is APA-acred.

That's why accreditation was in quotes in that post. :)

An APPIC internship certainly "could" be just as high quality (or even better) than many APA internships. I don't know why anyone would question that. Its just about where we want to draw the figurative line in the sand with regards to quality assurance. Its just like a life coach with zero formal training "could" be as good a therapist as a licensed PhD psychologist who graduated from a top accredited program. Is it possible? Sure. Do I think training standards are important? Absolutely. Would I ever refer someone to a life coach if they needed a therapist? Hell no. Knowing that, if someone comes to me for career advice - I'm going to strongly advise the licensed psychologist route. Not doing so closes doors and makes life more difficult. Is that fair? Maybe or maybe not. Whether its fair or not is almost always irrelevant to the question I'm answering.

(Note: I'm not comparing folks with APPIC internships to life coaches. Just the general principal that we have to draw the QA line somewhere. APA is about insuring a minimum standard. By definition, that doesn't mean that things that aren't APA accredited can't exceed that standard - it just means that things that are APA accredited shouldn't fall below that standard. )

While I appreciate APPICs criteria (I did their application myself using "cut and pastes" from our training handbook a couple years ago within a couple hours), there is no actual verification, enforcement or accountability, and it lacks much detail that, frankly, is necessary for running a program that truly attends to all the variables that can influence and complicate the complex nature of training psychologists on their last stop before independent licensure. This is where APA accreditation (and all it entails) provides an additional (and appreciable) level of quality control that I would argue is necessary if we are to actually train within the paradigm of clinical psychological science.

Independent peer review/program evaluation adds benefits here, just as it does in the rest of healthcare and private industry. I don't understand why some people think this is such a controversial notion?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users