Georgia Pharmacy Residencies? & Residencies everywhere else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssl88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having thoughts about applying to PGY1s in Georgia and possibly anywhere in the States.
However, I have no idea how to tell if one hospital is more competitive than the other.
In addition, to minimum GPA requirements to even get my application seen.
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can PM me on how to determine whether one's slightly less competitive than the other. I am not really into big named hospitals and honestly just hope to get a residency somewhere.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For starters I would look at whether or not it is a academic medical center, size of the hospital, and location as general indicators

Agreed to the above. Also, if you're a midyear, you can judge the competitiveness based on how busy the residency booth is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you go to school in Georgia? I think you can get a pretty good idea if you talk to recent grads that you're friendly with about their experiences with applying (if they applied for residency of course). In general, I think the hospitals outside of Atlanta tend to be less competitive since there are now THREE pharmacy schools in Atlanta or within a roughly 1hr drive. I would think places like Grady, AMC, or the VA in Decatur would be pretty competitive. Smaller hospitals in the suburbs might be less so. As far as GPA, I've seen some with a strict requirement of 3.0+ but then others that do not state a GPA requirement. I would think 3.0+ is a good rule to go by (not saying that it can't be less, but I think you would need other qualities to make you stand out... like a lot of hospital experience, great leadership demonstration, publications, etc)

Do you go to school in Georgia? I think you can get a pretty good idea if you talk to recent grads that you're friendly with about their experiences with applying (if they applied for residency of course). In general, I think the hospitals outside of Atlanta tend to be less competitive since there are now THREE pharmacy schools in Atlanta or within a roughly 1hr drive. I would think places like Grady, AMC, or the VA in Decatur would be pretty competitive. Smaller hospitals in the suburbs might be less so. As far as GPA, I've seen some with a strict requirement of 3.0+ but then others that do not state a GPA requirement. I would think 3.0+ is a good rule to go by (not saying that it can't be less, but I think you would need other qualities to make you stand out... like a lot of hospital experience, great leadership demonstration, publications, etc)

lol, AMC is definitely NOT competitive. I would say avoid that like the plague.
The two academic medical centers in Atlanta are both very competitive.
The ATL VA is likely also competitive, but it has a completely different residency program than the AMCs in the area so it just depends on what you want.
I agree with the 3.0 rule, we won't even review you if you have less than that.
If you don't want a big name hospital there are a lot of community hospitals in the area that have residency programs, some are definitely better than others. I applied to most of them last year so you can PM if you want specifics.

lol, AMC is definitely NOT competitive. I would say avoid that like the plague.
The two academic medical centers in Atlanta are both very competitive.
The ATL VA is likely also competitive, but it has a completely different residency program than the AMCs in the area so it just depends on what you want.
I agree with the 3.0 rule, we won't even review you if you have less than that.
If you don't want a big name hospital there are a lot of community hospitals in the area that have residency programs, some are definitely better than others. I applied to most of them last year so you can PM if you want specifics.

I'm not applying to AMC, but I wasn't sure if anyone else felt the same... I did a rotation there, so yeah. lol

Does anyone know anything about the residency at phoebe putney hospital/the university of georgia? More specifically is it a good residency? is it competitive when applying for clinical positions later on?