Georgia Southern Univ PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr Somebody

Is anyone familiar with this program? Any current students on the forum? I know it's not accredited, but I was told it should be in a couple of years.

I'm interested in it for reasons outside of the program itself, so any information would be much appreciated as I try to figure out if it is worth pursuing.

Pros? Cons? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a friend in the program who loves it and is confident that accreditation will happen in 2012.

Is anyone familiar with this program? Any current students on the forum? I know it's not accredited, but I was told it should be in a couple of years.

I'm interested in it for reasons outside of the program itself, so any information would be much appreciated as I try to figure out if it is worth pursuing.

Pros? Cons? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

I don't doubt that the program is great, but I'd be hesitant to apply there since you can't be positive that it will be accredited. At the beginning of this application season, I was seriously considering applying to a non-accredited program -- but a psychologist I work with, whose opinion I trust, convinced me not to do it. Going to an unaccredited program can make you less competitive for internships, and will also prevent you from being able to work at a VA should you want to do that. I figure the field is tough enough already without any unnecessary roadblocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's risky to apply to a non-APA program. Thanks for your advice, but that's not what I want to discuss- I want to know about the strengths and weaknesses of this specific program.

Prison- do you know what about the program your friend loves so much?

It has a rural focus that she really likes. She says the faculty are great and very supportive. Funding is also decent.

I am a student at GSU. PM me and I will answer your questions.